Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Has the nanny learned to play nice with LEDs on the 2015?

While I'm relatively happy with the brightness of the LED brake light on the 2015 RT, the turn signals leave a bit to be desired. My wife, who i generally anti-farkle, even said I should upgrade/augment the rear turn signals.

I have searched through a bunch of threads trying to find out if anyone has had success with LED turn signal bulbs but the threads I have found either deal with older models or don't address the question from experience. While I appreciate that you heard from your brother's wife's cousin's hairdresser that there are no LED bulbs that will work as replacements, does anyone have actual experience with trying to replace the incandescent rear turn signal bulbs on a 2015 with LED bulbs?

If I can't replace the rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs, I would like to get something that mounts similar to the Tricled strip that mounts where the trunk opens (4th brake light?) but it would need to be two strips of amber LEDs to augment the turn signals. I think I looked at every light on Tricled's website and didn't find anything along those lines. Anyone have suggestions where I can get a couple of low profile but bright amber LED strips to mount there as turn signals?

Spyder Garage

Default LED'S

​Check out Custom Dynamics. They have turn signal LED's and they are a site sponsor.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I have LED's all over my 2014 RT that do all sorts of things. I've never had any issues with any of them, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd they ALL are DIY ....I buy / bought long strips and cut them down to the size I needed.....The LED's draw so little power the Nanny doesn't even notice they are there. At least that's been my experience so far..........................If you use bulbs with a filament ....that's a whole different story......DON'T..............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have added TricLED's 3rd and 4th brakelights, and their LED turnsignal indicators in the mirror housings...
    No problems at all!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

He is asking if he can REPLACE the stock blubs with LEDs. Not adding lights.

Unlike previous years that would get a fast flash the 2014/15 have a calibration routine to fix the fast flash issues. BUT how far this calibration will work when replacing bulbs, I do not know. Most people use it when the "add" led lights to the existing lights.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Changing the incandescent bulb over to an LED design will certainly have far less effect to the system; than the addition of more LEDs...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    He is asking if he can REPLACE the stock blubs with LEDs. Not adding lights.

Unlike previous years that would get a fast flash the 2014/15 have a calibration routine to fix the fast flash issues. BUT how far this calibration will work when replacing bulbs, I do not know. Most people use it when the "add" led lights to the existing lights.

Bob
    BINGO!!! That's exactly what I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Changing the incandescent bulb over to an LED design will certainly have far less effect to the system; than the addition of more LEDs...
    Thanks! I will be giving it a try as soon as I can find some suitable replacement bulbs. I have read that the turn signal bulbs on the RT have an odd pin arrangement. I actually might just try to cleanly replace the bulbs with Custom Dynamics clusters hardwired if I cannot find a suitable bulb.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting.

This guy is a spyder tech in Vancouver, WA. Has an interesting topic here on this video.

Just FYI.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up For your consideration

Quote Originally Posted by Thebrainn View Post
    While I'm relatively happy with the brightness of the LED brake light on the 2015 RT, the turn signals leave a bit to be desired. My wife, who i generally anti-farkle, even said I should upgrade/augment the rear turn signals.

I have searched through a bunch of threads trying to find out if anyone has had success with LED turn signal bulbs but the threads I have found either deal with older models or don't address the question from experience. While I appreciate that you heard from your brother's wife's cousin's hairdresser that there are no LED bulbs that will work as replacements, does anyone have actual experience with trying to replace the incandescent rear turn signal bulbs on a 2015 with LED bulbs?

If I can't replace the rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs, I would like to get something that mounts similar to the Tricled strip that mounts where the trunk opens (4th brake light?) but it would need to be two strips of amber LEDs to augment the turn signals. I think I looked at every light on Tricled's website and didn't find anything along those lines. Anyone have suggestions where I can get a couple of low profile but bright amber LED strips to mount there as turn signals?
    Please consider the installation of Custom Dynamics mud flap replacement LEDs along with their adapter that allows it to also flash with the signal lights. This takes the place of the useless reflector on the front wheel mud flaps. My wife told me that she could not see me safely when following me. The mud flap lights made an amazing difference and now she feels that I'm much more visible. I have had no problems with the "nannie" or a fast flash rate. Finally, they function as an additional signal light indicator as I personally don't see the small flashing green lights very well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Please consider the installation of Custom Dynamics mud flap replacement LEDs along with their adapter that allows it to also flash with the signal lights. This takes the place of the useless reflector on the front wheel mud flaps. My wife told me that she could not see me safely when following me. The mud flap lights made an amazing difference and now she feels that I'm much more visible. I have had no problems with the "nannie" or a fast flash rate. Finally, they function as an additional signal light indicator as I personally don't see the small flashing green lights very well.
    Thank you for the suggestion, but the 2015 RT-S does not have mudflaps. I believe that is only on the base model RT without the new style fenders with the raised portion in the middle. That said, there is a similar reflector that is oriented vertically rather than horizontally. Tricled and some others (I believe) offer an LED replacement for this reflector. I'm keeping that in mind, but the price for the lights with the turn signal module is fairly pricey.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shiznit98204 View Post
    This guy is a spyder tech in Vancouver, WA. Has an interesting topic here on this video.

Just FYI.
    Thanks. I appreciate your post but I have a bone to pick with videos like this. The guy may very well be an excellent Spyder tech, but his arrogant, know it all, paternalistic approach doesn't help. Rather than offer an explanation of why there was a problem with the top trunk LED and there was not a problem with the other LEDs, he chooses to just say one is bad and the other is ok. Watching the whole video, he repeats this attitude when talking about other aftermarket items (non-OEM). This kind of approach may be fine for people who buy a bike and leave it as is until they sell it or who pay the dealership to install everything, but for anyone who adds even the most basic farkles themselves, the "I know better than you" video he made is useless. I'm not criticizing you, and I really do appreciate the help, but videos like his that say "don't do this" without the "why" are useless beyond the most basic warning that you may run into trouble if you try it. He also failed to say what year and trim level RT he was riding. Considering the changes made by BRP every year, and especially considering you can now reprogram the flasher, leaving that information out is a major failure on his part.

I have ordered 2 of the proper base LED replacements for the rear turns. I'll make sure I leave the original bulbs in the trunk along with the tools to do a roadside repair should they cause an issue. I'll post my results when I know the actual ground truth.

At the risk of repeating myself again, I really do appreciate your post. I asked my question on this forum because of people like you who offer suggestions. I just wish the guy who made this video would have tried to educate people rather than berate them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shiznit98204 View Post

Just FYI.
    I know Shawn a little. But I do not agree fully with what he is saying and some of what he says is not accurate.

None of the after market light add-ons have a chip in them to fool the Can-Buss!

I have to assume that specific LED strip that was added to the trunk lid shorted or had some load problem, or whoever wired it screwed up on doing so.

MAN MANY Spyder owners have added the HMT trunk brake light and the strips you show in the video to the back end. All of them tap into the existing light harness. But like anything if you over load or under load the light circuits, you can have issues I agree 100%. The Spyder monitors that stuff and reports errors. This is more to tell you that you have a light out e.g. like a fast blink on the turn signal.

So again that light she added, which by the way I have never seen sold as a after market add-on, obviously was too much for the Spyder. It would be interesting to know where she got that light strip from and why it caused VCM errors. My guess was off the shelf like Auto Zone or something. I suspect it was a loading issue with that light strip.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Nanny doesn't play nice but she tolerates them

Today I installed two LED turn signal bulbs in my 2015 RT-S. These are the ones I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

They have the correct base and plug right in without fuss. As expected, they caused the hyper flash but they did not throw a fault code or put the bike into limp mode. I reprogrammed the signals using the method Lamonster describes in his Youtube video on the topic.

The bike flashed normal once. After cancelling that signal and activating the turn signal again, it reverted to hyper flash. Still no fault code or limp mode so I took the bike out for a 30 minute test ride including about 15 turns. I signaled for every turn and had no nanny issues. I'm not saying the nanny will stay quiet forever, but so far she doesn't seem to mind. If you can tolerate the fast flash, the brightness is way more than the stock incandescent bulbs.

I can live with it for the added visibility. Maybe I'll try to slow it down with a resistor, but for now I rate this mod a tentative success.

Since I know people will throw rotten vegetables at me if I don't post a video, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dod...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Thebrainn; 07-02-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Trying to embed the video

Spyder Garage

I tried to embed the video but couldn't make it work. If a mod or someone else wants to do so, please do.

Spyder Garage

Today I installed two LED turn signal bulbs in my 2015 RT-S. These are the ones I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

They have the correct base and plug right in without fuss. As expected, they caused the hyper flash but they did not throw a fault code or put the bike into limp mode. I reprogrammed the signals using the method Lamonster describes in his Youtube video on the topic.

The bike flashed normal once. After cancelling that signal and activating the turn signal again, it reverted to hyper flash. Still no fault code or limp mode so I took the bike out for a 30 minute test ride including about 15 turns. I signaled for every turn and had no nanny issues. I'm not saying the nanny will stay quiet forever, but so far she doesn't seem to mind. If you can tolerate the fast flash, the brightness is way more than the stock incandescent bulbs.

I can live with it for the added visibility. Maybe I'll try to slow it down with a resistor, but for now I rate this mod a tentative success.

Since I know people will throw rotten vegetables at me if I don't post a video, here it is:

Your 2015 has a calibration routine you can use to fix the hyper flash.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Your 2015 has a calibration routine you can use to fix the hyper flash.

Bob
    Bob, that is the procedure I followed after installation. The problem is that the recalibration doesn't stick. It stays calibrated for one use of he signals and then goes back to the hyper flash the next time you use the signal. I presume this is because the resistance is so far out of spec from normal resistance that the computer refuses to allow it. Even if I added LEDs all over the bike, the resistance wouldn't change much. Replacing the incandescent with an LED however, significantly changes the resistance. Damn ohms!

Beyond that, I got a DESS error yesterday. I turned the key off and right back on and the error was gone. I'm on the fence now as to what I want to do. I think I'm going to leave the LED bulbs in for a few more rides. I'll be unable to ride for the next two weeks but I may give it a few days or so after that to see if the DESS error returns or if it was just a coincidence. I may also try an LED resistor. I'm betting that if I install the resistor, the hyper flash will stay away after the recalibration. I'll just have to wait a couple weeks before I can tinker with it.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

So I've added a couple hundred miles to the since replacing the rear turn signal bulbs with the LED bulbs mentioned above. The nanny has not given me any issues other than the hyperflash. Since the DESS error I experienced has not returned, I am going to say that was unrelated. The hyperflash has remained, even though I have tried to recalibrate multiple times. Actually, it almost seems like the nanny tries to recalibrate the flash rate on her own as I have noticed the flash pattern will occasionally slow down to normal on it's own and then return to hyperflash. Other than that, I have no issues and much brighter turn signals.

So the final verdict is that LED bulbs will work, but you will not be able to get rid of the hyperflash without resistors. I have not tried to add resistors yet so I don't know if that will cure the hyperflash or not. Remember, I'm not talking about adding LEDs but rather replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED bulb.

Spyder Garage

I used these as LED replacements on my 15 F3. No hyperflash and no problems. I also have plenty of other LEDs feeding off the signal feeds both front and rear.

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Finless and Lamonster,
    Thank you, thank you ............. for the video on the calibration routine for "fast flashing" of the indicators.
    Worked like a charm after I installed aux LED's to the turn signals and got "fast flash"

Spyder Garage

I use the following bulbs.
    For the turn signals http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00.
    For the backup lights http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00.
    No problems with nanny. Hyperflash had to be reset as above but has nor returned in of 3k of riding since installation.
    This is on a 2014 rts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have LED's all over my 2014 RT that do all sorts of things. I've never had any issues with any of them, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd they ALL are DIY ....I buy / bought long strips and cut them down to the size I needed.....The LED's draw so little power the Nanny doesn't even notice they are there. At least that's been my experience so far..........................If you use bulbs with a filament ....that's a whole different story......DON'T..............Mike
    I have a question. I bought two LED strips for mirror turn signal lights, which wire is the positive on the bike. I think it is the one with the strip on it. I have a 2015 rts.

Spyder Garage

Default MIRROR LED STRIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Kc6wfi View Post
    I have a question. I bought two LED strips for mirror turn signal lights, which wire is the positive on the bike. I think it is the one with the strip on it. I have a 2015 rts.
    I did the same as you ( a long time ago ).......I didn't even do any splicing LED wires are so thin, after un-plugging the TURN signal wire for the mirror I put the LED wires into the socket and re-connected it......Follow the +/- on the signal wires.........when I put my turn signal on my LED on the mirror blinks......Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kc6wfi View Post
    I have a question. I bought two LED strips for mirror turn signal lights, which wire is the positive on the bike.
    The one that ain't negative!

Sorry, I couldn't help it! Actually, that is a good rule most of the time. I believe all the wires that go directly to ground, which is of course negative, are black. So if you have something like a light and it has a black wire and a colored wire, you can be pretty sure the black is ground so that means the colored is positive. If the wire is orange that will be, always I think, a direct 12 volt power lead, either keyed or unkeyed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Just bought them

Quote Originally Posted by beast68 View Post
    I use the following bulbs.
    For the turn signals http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00.
    For the backup lights http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00.
    No problems with nanny. Hyperflash had to be reset as above but has nor returned in of 3k of riding since installation.
    This is on a 2014 rts.

I just ordered these lights. Trust they will work, if not I'mm comming to get ya' How about some ideas for the front turn signals??

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default FRONT TURN SIGNALS

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    I just ordered these lights. Trust they will work, if not I'mm comming to get ya' How about some ideas for the front turn signals??

Kaos
    Help us here......what exactly do you want to accomplish that the OEM's aren't doing for you ???.......Mike