Spyder Garage

Default Service prices and parts, What's the dealio

I sold my GS back in 2011 and just bought a 2012 RSS-SE5. I had the bike inspected at my local dealership where I previously purchased and maintained the GS. I spoke with the same mechanic about the new bike who'd done all the work on the old one and asked him about service interval pricing and that's when I nearly $h1t myself
    Sorry but WTF! I think I remember him saying about $350 for an oil change and about $1100 for the 6k service with the valve adjustment. I remember it used to hurt a bit but I don't remember needing the pot of Vaseline! I wonder was he throwing out these figures while the seller was present in order to help me with my negotiations?
    What's the deal guys? Are there bike shops that are equipped to work on spyders these days or are we at the mercy of the dealerships? And are these the real prices?
    Oh and did I say they want $85 to install a rear tire?!?!

cheers
    roller
    Last edited by roller; 06-28-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default That hurts

That's a very expensive oil change. The valve adjustment isn't necessary until 25-30 k ? Something like that. Any good local bike shop could do the oil change, pretty easy, for much much less. 85 for the tire change labor isn't bad. You can get a much better tire than the stock kenda, for much less money. I just had a local shop mount my Kuhmo rear tire. 165 ish for everything. I do my own oil changes for about 65 bucks.
    Last edited by coz; 06-28-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default service costs, rear tire replace

It can take an hour or more to do complete rear tire including bearing inspection/re lube.
    85$ is very reasonable for this job,

the other prices were not reasonable.

carl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VALVE ADJUSTMENT ????

To the best of my recollection the manual doesn't say anything about even looking them until about 12,000 miles. And as Coz said it would be unusual for any adjustment to be needed before about 30,000. I think the tech knows this or should. Unscrupulous dealerships just charge you $ 600 or so and say they checked it. How are you going to know if they did or not ???....They know the valves will not need servicing from experience with other Spyders.......I'd be concerned because of what you were quoted for the 6,000 mile service.......and I'd learn the basics or get a Spyder that has the 1330 engine they almost maintenance free.....in comparison......Mike

Spyder Garage

RE: Valve check. The manual says 14K. I have done two for you nice folks. One at 12k (2008) and one at 28K (2010). Neither one required any adjustments--other than the $800 or so to my bank account each time.

Personally, I do not recommend such until about 50K or so. The new 2014 and above with the 1330 engines--no longer require valve check adjustments.

Its, your choice, its your money--I am not spending any more for that task until my 2011 gets to 50K. And then, I will think about it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-29-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Full service on my 2014 RTL was $386 for the 3000 mile check. Both dealers here in town are owned by Ride Now Sports and they are owned by the Coulter group. (36 Can AM dealerships and 40+ car dealerships) They have always been a piece of work to deal with. They also own 17 Harley dealerships throughout the country. No body that I know of has ever said a good word about them. Shop rate is $120 an hour.

They do use book quoted times and not actual which can work both ways. Fun is always expensive!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Call around....

your in north county and close to some good dealers. Call around and find those in the know. If not check with Lou at Pirate Powersports in riverside. He is not a dealer but one of the best wrenches in your area...many of our ryders go to him...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for all the input. I did actually remember last night while reading the operators guide that the $350 was for brake fluid change and not the oil change! Still though... $350
    I was told nothing needed any immediate maintenance and that the bike checked out good. I do hope to find someone local who can wrench on it besides the dealership, I do not enjoy going near dealerships. Fun does cost money but it shouldn't leave you feeling violated...

cheers
    roller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a copy of the Shop Manual?
    Perhaps some of these procedures are within your own "comfort level"...
    (Keep in mind that I'm barely capable of putting fuel in my bike... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if I went into a motorcycle shop and found out they charge $120 an hour for service... that would be the last time they would ever see me in there..

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you have a copy of the Shop Manual?
    Perhaps some of these procedures are within your own "comfort level"...
    (Keep in mind that I'm barely capable of putting fuel in my bike... )
    Hahaha, admire your honesty Bob.
    I would like to know how I can pick up a shop manual for sure, more these days for knowledge rather than wrenching myself. I have spine and joint discomfort that has tapered my wrenching ability severely over the past few years. Might still be up for some of it especially after a $350 quote for changing the brake fluid!

cheers,
    roller

Spyder Garage

I am new to the Spyder and was also shocked at reading here the costs for service. I wish I knew it ahead of time....but I know I still would have purchased my ! I realize it takes a little time to remove body panels but I think what they charge is still rediculously high.

I plan to have the first service done at a dealer just to have it on record.

This Fall/Winter...I plan to remove body panels....and learn about the Spyder myself. I am going to replace the airbox with the replacement kit you can get here (better performance but also, cheaper maintenance costs with that switch out).

I will do future oil changes myself........I am not a mechanic but I have always changed oil in other bikes...so I will learn how to do it on the Spyder.

I will do everything that I physically and possibly can myself....I know it will be done right (with your guys and gals help). My local and purchasing dealer has only sold Spyders 11 months and I have doubts on mechanics experience....but to be fair...I want to go talk with them. The best mechanic in my 3 State area is about 75 miles away....but I may use him for the first service and what I cant do.

The $85.00 to replace the rear tire seems to be reasonable though.

Learn your Spyder, enjoy it....save a little money.

+: I also have purchased ramps and a floor jack (recommended here) that can lift the Spyder up, jack stands too. Heh.....it was an excuse to spend more $ at Harbor Freight !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE FLUID CHANGE

IMHO, this dealership is out to RAPE your WALLET .....Big Time ...........My two previous Spyders had almost 20,000 miles and still had the original Brake Fluid........and they worked fine...................IT's like the MYSTERY VALVE ADJUSTMENT THING .....Big Bucks and what if they don't do it ??????...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO, this dealership is out to RAPE your WALLET .....Big Time ...........My two previous Spyders had almost 20,000 miles and still had the original Brake Fluid........and they worked fine...................IT's like the MYSTERY VALVE ADJUSTMENT THING .....Big Bucks and what if they don't do it ??????...Mike
    RE: Valves again: I have also been suspicious of some dealers--not mine though--that they may charge the $800 + for the service and not even take a look at the valves. The fact that what I have found and also what others have posted, leaves open the opportunity for a "slimey" dealer to charge for the service and never perform it. I would be very skeptical of those dealers that "push" for the sale. And those like the one mentioned above at 6,000 miles really put up red flags for me.

The valve job is a real profit enhancer if the job is "faked."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Hahaha, admire your honesty Bob.
    I would like to know how I can pick up a shop manual for sure, more these days for knowledge rather than wrenching myself. I have spine and joint discomfort that has tapered my wrenching ability severely over the past few years. Might still be up for some of it especially after a $350 quote for changing the brake fluid!

cheers,
    roller
    You can get the manuals through EBay... that's where I got mine...

...For informational purposes only!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hey Mike, I agree. I think when I had my GS, was early days for the spyders back then and the dealers were able to install some fear in you. Especially as my GS was built on a Monday morning (total lemon)
    After spending the weekend on here reading threads, it's apparent that today years on in the spyder world, owners have learned more about the bikes and a lot more D.I.Y.
    I think I'll be a lot more comfortable and at ease this time round with my newer spyder.

Big thanks to you and everyone whose chimed in this last few days

roller

Spyder Garage

Default Fluid change

The same local shop that did my rear tire change, also did my clutch fluid and brake fluid change. One hour labor charge. 68 bucks. I did remove the necessary body panels beforehand. Clutch fluid was nasty, but the brake fluid still looked pretty good at 16,500 miles. Any competent MC mechanic can do these maintenance items.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    The same local shop that did my rear tire change, also did my clutch fluid and brake fluid change. One hour labor charge. 68 bucks. I did remove the necessary body panels beforehand. Clutch fluid was nasty, but the brake fluid still looked pretty good at 16,500 miles. Any competent MC mechanic can do these maintenance items.
    You know Coz, that's exactly what I think, couldn't agree more. I have an exceptional bike mechanic close by and am hoping if I provide him with a shop manual, he'll agree to do some of the service.
    I really feel that the dealership are preying on customers to boost profits, that's kinda standard here in sunny SoCal!
    I did inquire about purchasing a warranty for the bike and the dealer did offer what sounded to me like good insurance for 3 years. What's your take on that?

cheers
    roller

Spyder Garage

...$1100 for the 6k service with the valve adjustment...
    Nope, nope, no way. Maybe back in the day, Henry Ford needed to adjust valves every few thousand miles. Today...not so much. Caveat emptor.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just got my bike back with the recall work being done. Had them check the valves and change plugs and wires since they were there already. Service sheet notes mileage over 19,000, valves checked, no adjustment needed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

You know Coz, that's exactly what I think, couldn't agree more. I have an exceptional bike mechanic close by and am hoping if I provide him with a shop manual, he'll agree to do some of the service.
    I really feel that the dealership are preying on customers to boost profits, that's kinda standard here in sunny SoCal!
    I did inquire about purchasing a warranty for the bike and the dealer did offer what sounded to me like good insurance for 3 years. What's your take on that?

cheers
    roller
    might be a good idea since you'll be saving a TON of money on maintenance. Did the bike come with any warranty when you bought?

Spyder Garage

No, BRP warranty ended 9/14 but dealership said they could get me a 3 year with a company that's said to be very good. Just don't ask me their name

roller

Spyder Garage

Default $120 per hour

A top rate master technician needs to make at least $65k + per year, more in high cost cities. this is about $32.50 per hour.
    the general rule of thumb is that dealer must charge 3 times this amount to cover all cost,benefits,etc.
    we're now at $100 + per hour. this is resonabe if you want your dealer to stay in business and not be crabby.
    When you find a really topnotch tech (few andfar) between) make sure he's happy and that you gain his respect and pay what it costs.
    he will apreciate you and make your life better.

carl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmungen View Post
    A top rate master technician needs to make at least $65k + per year, more in high cost cities. this is about $32.50 per hour.
    the general rule of thumb is that dealer must charge 3 times this amount to cover all cost,benefits,etc.
    we're now at $100 + per hour. this is resonabe if you want your dealer to stay in business and not be crabby.
    When you find a really topnotch tech (few andfar) between) make sure he's happy and that you gain his respect and pay what it costs.

carl
    $65k + per year? Well... That is at the very, very high end. I am sure master mechanics for some German and Italian cars clear that and more, but even the top 10 percent of motorcycle mechanics in the US average $54,120:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes493052.htm

That being said, cost of living and geographical location will make wages fluctuate immensely. My dealer in PA charges $85 hour and I know that they have some platinum certified Kawasaki mechanics.
    Last edited by CanAmChris; 06-30-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmungen View Post

carl
    So, you're saying they need to be billing at three times the mechanics hourly wage to cover all expenses and make a profit? Lets say for now, that is the formula they use...

Every dealership I've ever used for bikes and cars, has billed me for the hours set by the book, however, that dealership that just charged me for 3 hours, but only took an hour to do the job robbed me while I was wide awake and standing there next to him.

And that's why I like to find a great mechanic outside of a dealership to work on all our stuff. That usually takes a few different guys to deal with the cars, another 1 for the Spyder and so on and so on. I'm supporting local business, developing life long relationships (that adds a bit of trust to the equation) and best of all.... I'm not taking it in the ass

Just my 2cents on the matter
    roller