Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat recall on other model RT's?

Has anyone heard of dealers doing any heat recall work on 2012 RT's like they are doing on the 2013's?

Spyder Garage

I haven't . . . enter your VIN at this link and any recalls that are required on your Spyder will show up.

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...in-lookup.html

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope... There's nothing for any of the other model year bikes.
    What sort of problem are you having with the bike?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    None really, just thought the vents they are putting on the 13's would fit the 12's. I guess I'm use to some heat coming off the rt side. I've put Spyderpops block off plates and did the cat bypass. Still not as cool as my husband's 2015!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2015s are a completely different animal.
    With the TWO radiators out in front of the front suspension; you get no hot air being blown onto you by the radiator fans.
    When I had my 2010 I ran a "test" on it to see how bad the heat could be.
    We had a 95 degree day up here (about as bad as we ever get to see), so I stripped down to just shorts and my helmet, and went for a ride...
    Out in the open: no noticeable heat at all from the bike. It wasn't until I found a bit of stop & go traffic, that I started to feel any heat from the bike. Even with that; the ambient temperatures were FAR more disagreeable, than the bike's heat.

Spyder Garage

FYI, on facebook two people now have said their dealers were told by BRP that in good will the scoops can be ordered and installed on 2010-2012 Spyder. If still under warranty it is free. If not it is $175 for labor.

Here is one post:

Those on RT's that aren't the 2013, our dealership here just told us about BRP's goodwill for the other years RT. If you are still under warranty, they will give you the new scoops and cover the labor to install the new parts. If you are not under warranty, they are giving you the parts but you have to pay the labor. Our shop is only charging 175$ for the labor. I removed the blockoff plate at time of the recall work and I feel some heat but it's not an uncomfortable heat. Of course my legs are too short to reach them highway foot rests I have but.. after a 600 mile ride last weekend, I can say I did not have ANY uncomfortable heat moments, even with the block off removed.
    Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob,
    I've probably just missed this clarification...
    If they install them on the pre-2013 RT; do they also remove the baffling, that helps to increase the airflow underneath that Tupperware?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob,
    I've probably just missed this clarification...
    If they install them on the pre-2013 RT; do they also remove the baffling, that helps to increase the airflow underneath that Tupperware?
    You mean the inner acoustic panels? Yes pretty sure they would or the scoops wont do much.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In THAT case... COOL!

Spyder Garage

For Spyder RT 2010-2012, I check with BRP last week if the scoop will be available. BRP told me they will decide ONLY after the recall of all 2013 RT will be completed.

So, no decision for the moment.
    Last edited by tigerdr; 06-28-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; that is not surprising, and is certainly more than fair...

Spyder Garage

Question And we wait......

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you called yet, to see what your dealer's take is on this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you called yet, to see what your dealer's take is on this?
    I will Monday AM.

Considering I have heard this story from other Ca. dealers now MORE than once (Central Ca where it is hotter).... I have to find out what dealers in my area say!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I am not sure at this point if I have a problem with my 2010 RT or not. Rode it on a really warn day, 90 and the heat on the side panels, glove compartment and gas tank were untouchable. Just stated this spring. dealer said, they could find nothing wrong and BUDS did not indicate over heating. so if if it ever stops pouring rain, I will check
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default As I mentioned

At our last SRA meeting this month our scoops were the talk of the parking lot after the meeting especially since during the meeting our President received a text from one local dealer saying that any 2010 to 2012 that was still under warranty could have the scoops installed for free. I don't think the were doing the complete Evap system relocation that they do on the 13. So now we have several 10 to 12 owners going in to get their scoops!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm scheduled...

I'm scheduled to have 'em installed on Thursday on my '12 RTL. My local dealer says he's ordered them and should arrive Wednesday and will be covered by my warranty....I'm not sure what is involved beyond mounting them, but I'll let you know when it's done.
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post
    I'm scheduled to have 'em installed on Thursday on my '12 RTL. My local dealer says he's ordered them and should arrive Wednesday and will be covered by my warranty....I'm not sure what is involved beyond mounting them, but I'll let you know when it's done.

Wow! Thanks!
    will save this to show to my dealer!
    will be watching for your results!

Spyder Garage

Wonder if you could call the dealer and they give you the scoops if you're out of warranty and then you put them on yourself? Or would you have to have the service dept install them? I'm not crazy about paying $175 for them to take a few screws out of the deflectors and then mount these with a few screws and charge that ridiculous amount. But if they would give me the scoops free, I can install myself and then take the acoustic panels out.

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    FYI, on facebook two people now have said their dealers were told by BRP that in good will the scoops can be ordered and installed on 2010-2012 Spyder. If still under warranty it is free. If not it is $175 for labor.

Here is one post:

Bob
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    Wonder if you could call the dealer and they give you the scoops if you're out of warranty and then you put them on yourself? Or would you have to have the service dept install them? I'm not crazy about paying $175 for them to take a few screws out of the deflectors and then mount these with a few screws and charge that ridiculous amount. But if they would give me the scoops free, I can install myself and then take the acoustic panels out.
    The panels have to be cut at the existing vents for the scoops to fit. The kit comes with a template tool to make it easy for the dealer to cut the panels right. I am sure you could do it yourself without the "jig" but better be good with a dremel!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR that bodywork with a saw...

...Let that fall to the dealer!

Spyder Garage

I mean what has to be cut out? Looks like to me on the posts that people are posting with their pics of the scoops installed, they are just mounted over the existing vent holes in the side. Plus if there's a template, it shouldnt be that hard. They cut it the same way, with a dremel or other suitable saw. I'm sure their work isn't perfect but doesnt matter since it becomes a permenant fixture of the machine.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

From a FB post of someone who did the work

"The one pic with panel laying on bench shows the area where your old vent was. The new ducts get mounted over that big hole and force air into motor bay. We only remove about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of plastic around the old hole. BRP sends us templates that we trace onto your panels then cut out with a air saw. Then we drill 5 holes and mount them" Ed Taylor

Photo is from FB by Ed Taylor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I didn't think it was very much material that needed to be removed. The area that the vents are in is pretty big to start with. I think this would be an easy mod to do. Hopefully i can get the scoops without having to have them do the install.

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    From a FB post of someone who did the work

"The one pic with panel laying on bench shows the area where your old vent was. The new ducts get mounted over that big hole and force air into motor bay. We only remove about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of plastic around the old hole. BRP sends us templates that we trace onto your panels then cut out with a air saw. Then we drill 5 holes and mount them" Ed Taylor

Photo is from FB by Ed Taylor

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gotta Cut

If yiu don't cut the panels there is not point to of puttin them on. Gotta get that air to the engine. Replacing those silly fixed side wings so no problem at all.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.