Thread: Drones

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drones

Has anyone seen or used any drones on their runs? These things have become quite an item. They have selfie drones which can follow you or follow a preset course. I don't know what they do about trees etc on the path.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Not here so far. There was an incident of a local who was accused of following children in the neighborhood. That incident went to the police and the issue was quickly solved.

I see most people that live out of the city, handling "privacy" incidents as they occur.

Also believe there is "supposed" to be a 500 ft. minimum flying height so as not to interfere with traffic.

Already a lot of issues and potential problems that can happen. Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Funny you mention this...

I just bought my 1st drone a little over a month ago, and one of the justifications was that I could use it on Spyder rydes for a bird's eye perspective. I am now proficient enough, but it's been kinda windy lately. My drone will not automatically follow me, so I will primarily be using it at the rest/gas stops. I also plan to ride ahead of the group, pull over to the side, and catch the pack going by with the drone camera. I haven't done this yet...but i'm very close to making my "Spyder Drone" debut.

BTW...the drone you were referring to that will follow you is the Lily Camera. I am seriously thinking about joining this kickstarter. Especially since I can get the drone for half the price as an early investor.

https://www.lily.camera/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Not here so far. There was an incident of a local who was accused of following children in the neighborhood. That incident went to the police and the issue was quickly solved.

I see most people that live out of the city, handling "privacy" incidents as they occur.

Also believe there is "supposed" to be a 500 ft. minimum flying height so as not to interfere with traffic.

Already a lot of issues and potential problems that can happen. Time will tell.
    It's 400 feet.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    It's 400 feet.

Bob
    Hey Bob, you can use a drone to catch the texters. LOL

Brian
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...just sayin'...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The Lily as far as I know only goes about 25 miles per hour. Plus it cannot avoid trees and bridges. It is quite a big drawback for me. I have been pretty interested myself. But they would have to avoid these things somehow and also go a little bit faster I think!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

...just sayin'...
    The video brings up some interesting points. I noticed the following #'s.

They are going to spend $23 Billion for "testing" and have six "bases."

University of AK, Fairbanks is currently under a government contract to test and develop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

...just sayin'...
    Yep target practice keeps your mind sharp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The video brings up some interesting points. I noticed the following #'s.

They are going to spend $23 Billion for "testing" and have six "bases."

University of AK, Fairbanks is currently under a government contract to test and develop.

So; are you gonna take your 12 gauge, a case of shells, and go see what takes off?
    3" magnums, with #2 shot should do it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Drones (quad helicopters) are boring. Anyone can fly them and takes little skill. I think an RC car is more challenging!

This is real RC Heli flying!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

So; are you gonna take your 12 gauge, a case of shells, and go see what takes off?
    Me...guns.... That's what I have neighbors for.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Drones (quad helicopters) are boring. Anyone can fly them and takes little skill. I think an RC car is more challenging!

This is real RC Heli flying!

Bob
    Bob,
    Man you can fly a Heli . I have a t-rex 450 and 600 clone. After 2 years still cannot fly like that. When I built them I followed all your videos on Helifreak on how to set up the Heli. They were very helpful and thanks for producing them. Now I have a Spyder and find your Spyder Videos helpful as well THANKS!
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

No I need to use my new H&k VP 9mm.

Spyder Garage

OK you guys want to talk guns and RC.....

Many RC Heli guys were doing this kind of thing WAY before drones existed.... And I happen to know a few pioneers on this tech that now work for..... well... let me just say it's classified!

I am not trying to brag but I have been involved with RC since 1973 in all platforms from planes, boats, cars, helicopters, UFOs....

Drones are just the latest technology RC toy to the consumer!

But let me tell you.... Well never mind... This is not a RC chat site....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Bob,
    Man you can fly a Heli . I have a t-rex 450 and 600 clone. After 2 years still cannot fly like that. When I built them I followed all your videos on Helifreak on how to set up the Heli. They were very helpful and thanks for producing them. Now I have a Spyder and find your Spyder Videos helpful as well THANKS!
    Thanks!
    Seems we do have a small group of folks that are cross "RC Heli" and the Spyder!
    You are the not the first... I think actually there are about 7 of us as I recall.

As you see, what I like to do transitions from one thing to another... I just like to do videos helping people....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

This was just posted on Infowars. It shows drone footage of stingrays exhibiting a strange dance like behavior off the N Carolina coast.
    https://youtu.be/Y2kI2Dv8K8o
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic