Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Where are the "stamped" VIN and Engine #'s

Can't register my 2014 Spyder RT Ltd because the DMV and Highway Patrol must see the stamped VIN and Engine #'s. i can't find them! Please help! Thank You. 1smartyjones@gmail.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look in your owner's manual (page 160 for the 14 RT) it shows exactly where they are located.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Page 160 of your operator's manual. Remove the Left side panel (pg 48) wipe of engine ID number and read with a mechanics mirror; that is unless you want to remove a bunch of Left side panels. Stamped VIN is on Right side frame inboard of suspension, hard to read but it's there; can be read with flashlight.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

See page 160 of your User's Guide . . . it shows the locations.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Down under.....

Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Wow! I need to find this. We have road blocks here off and on, and the Federal Police will stop you and check your paperwork with the Vin. I had not thought of this! Yikes....makes it hard. I will have to be able to find this to show them and that way they verify and let me on my way! ugg....that is hard if I have to remove tupperware?!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    Wow! I need to find this. We have road blocks here off and on, and the Federal Police will stop you and check your paperwork with the Vin. I had not thought of this! Yikes....makes it hard. I will have to be able to find this to show them and that way they verify and let me on my way! ugg....that is hard if I have to remove tupperware?!
    I can't speak for Mexican authorities, but you might want to photocopy the page in the manual that shows where they are. That would be sufficient to satisfy your need to 'cooperate' with American authorities and would hold up in court as reasonable on your part. If an American cop ever tells you that you have to remove body panels and prove the VIN numbers, politely tell them no after giving them the photocopy. Unless your like me. If you are, than you can tell them no in an impolite manner since they already overstated their authority the moment they asked you to remove panels. This assumes you are not guilty of something else that caused the stop.

Spyder Garage

Here they don't care about what is legal and what is not, they won't "steal" the bike from you but they will give you a really hard time if they can't confirm the number and they might tote you to jail for not cooperating. Telling them not to take off parts of the bike is not going to stop them. I will have to figure this out well and I am going to make a lesson out of it for me so I can do this is necesary. They don't bother me to much because of my appearance, but better know how to do this than be sorry....
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Here they don't care about what is legal and what is not, they won't "steal" the bike from you but they will give you a really hard time if they can't confirm the number and they might tote you to jail for not cooperating. Telling them not to take off parts of the bike is not going to stop them. I will have to figure this out well and I am going to make a lesson out of it for me so I can do this is necesary. They don't bother me to much because of my appearance, but better know how to do this than be sorry....
    Good luck. I've been to Afghanistan but I'm not brave enough to live in a country where the cops have that much power.

Spyder Garage

Well all that is needed is to show them the vin, with that they will leave you alone, there are alot of stolen cars circulating and well it is the way they get them off the road. But you do need to cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebrainn View Post
    Good luck. I've been to Afghanistan but I'm not brave enough to live in a country where the cops have that much power.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I went to the DMV in Nevada after moving from Pa. They have to verify the VIN and when the lady saw the Spyder she came out with a flashlight and a pad to kneel on. Knew right where it was.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Why is it necessary to show the "Stamped" vin# when there is a plate on the swingarm that has the vin# and other info(mfg date etc.)To me this is the same as the vin# tag on the dash of every car that is used to prove vin info,why is it different for a Spyder?
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

It is on the swingarm? Then that will work for me, save me time if stopped and can get it over with and out of there! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

We had an OP some time ago with same problem on initial registration. Some DMVs stricter than others? Suspect so.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It is on the swingarm? Then that will work for me, save me time if stopped and can get it over with and out of there! Thanks!
    yep! on the swing arm drive belt side. Easy to see.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone can put a sticker on their Spyder so that is why the NV DMV looks at the stamped VIN.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Need additional Help finding VIN Please

Hi all,

This should be a non issue but I am struggling anyway. Went to register my 2015 RTL with Baja Ron sway bars and cannot for the life of me find the VIN of the bike despite threads and manual descriptions. Freaking Ca will not accept just the swing arm sticker.

Engine EIN - From another thread I think I found this under the left panel behind the computer held in with 3 screws. The engine is stamped Rotax 1330 ACE M followed by 7 digits. I am assuming this is the engine number, does this sound correct?

VIN is confounding me. The owners manual says Lower Frame (VIN stamped on right side) but the picture is pointing through the top left of the left hand side wheel. Another post states it is inbound of the suspension of the right side. I've been under with a flashlight and I cant see a thing. There are a couple of other stamped parts under the bike but they aren't the VIN.

Any assistance is appreciated. Th manual makes no mention of having to remove parts to see this.

Thanks.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

Engine EIN - From another thread I think I found this under the left panel behind the computer held in with 3 screws. The engine is stamped Rotax 1330 ACE M followed by 7 digits. I am assuming this is the engine number, does this sound correct?

VIN is confounding me. The owners manual says Lower Frame (VIN stamped on right side) but the picture is pointing through the top left of the left hand side wheel. Another post states it is inbound of the suspension of the right side. I've been under with a flashlight and I cant see a thing. There are a couple of other stamped parts under the bike but they aren't the VIN.

Any assistance is appreciated. The manual makes no mention of having to remove parts to see this. Thanks.
    This would be good to know, if I'm ever asked about it. Hope someone has the answers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I have been under the bike looking for the VIN with no luck. Hoping my friend has a rack I can drive it on to get a better look underneath. Once I figure this out I'll definitely pay it forward. If I can't get it sorted out it's make an appt time with CHP.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I have been under the bike looking for the VIN with no luck. Hoping my friend has a rack I can drive it on to get a better look underneath. Once I figure this out I'll definitely pay it forward. If I can't get it sorted out it's make an appt time with CHP.
    Apparently it's near the front of the frame (the VIN anyway). Have you tried driving it up onto car ramps first?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It's mythical I've decided.

Ok just to document this for the next person going through it who starts to Google for an answer. I talked to 2 independent Can Am dealer Service Managers and both insisted the only place there is a VIN is on the swingarm due to its "survivability" (that was cheery to learn) compared to the frame. I also spoke to a Sacramanto DMV field tech who stated the swing arm placard should be sufficient. Back to DMV I go all hopeful for a resolution. How naive of me. Talk to the same guy and he tells me that if the bike only has one VIN then I have to go to CHP for verification and that's what he was trying to tell me in the morning at my first visit. Maybe I missed it but I do not remember him being clear about that at all. So now I have an appt. in 2 weeks at CHP.

The plusses so far - well I've certainly been around and under the bike now and I've pulled my first panel and located the engine number. I have a 30 day temp registration thanks to a DMV manager, as opposed to the 1 day trip pass good for CHP visit only the inspector was going to give me, but that's about it.

The minuses - Calif Registration fee brought a tear to my wife's eye and mine. So many things we could have bought even though we knew it was coming. 2 trips to DMV both ending in failure and pretty much a day wasted.

Pete, I don't have a ramp but I've reached out to a friend who does but not sure I'll bother if I have to go through it all again at CHP anyway. If I do find a VIN on the frame I'll post it in the hopes it saves someone else the time. I will say the people at the shops said that because BRP has different manufacturers over time what may be on one persons bike and where may not be on someone else's. i'll also echo others in that different DMV's may not give a rats ass about any of this and just sign you off. Unfortunately mine is not one of those.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's mythical I've decided.

Pete, I don't have a ramp but I've reached out to a friend who does but not sure I'll bother if I have to go through it all again at CHP anyway. If I do find a VIN on the frame I'll post it in the hopes it saves someone else the time. I will say the people at the shops said that because BRP has different manufacturers over time what may be on one persons bike and where may not be on someone else's. i'll also echo others in that different DMV's may not give a rats ass about any of this and just sign you off. Unfortunately mine is not one of those.
    Or 'mystical'

Below I've posted a picture on this thread from Chupaca. It shows the 'stamped' VIN on the right side of the frame behind the front wheels. It would be easier to see if the Spyder is in the air (like on ramps) but not impossible if it's on the ground.

VIN location.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete and Chupaka. I’ve looked at this photo a bunch of times but never saw that. Will check later when the sun sets and a flashlight does better good.

Appreciate the help Pete and to about 4 other folks I’ve reached out to.

P.S. If it is there that sure isn’t where the manual is picturing it.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-17-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's a link....

For those in need.... I just put an album up with some pictures that might help each has a discription when opened...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=4753
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    For those in need.... I just put an album up with some pictures that might help each has a discription when opened...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=4753
    Will a 2015 VIN be in the same spot as in pic 3? Granted you may have no way of knowing that....l