Spyder Garage

Default Different models, engines and the ST's future?

As I close in on a great deal for a 14 ST-S, I have begun doubting my potential purchase.

With the steadfast history of the RT line and the new popularity of the F3 I am starting to be curious about the future of the ST's.

I am concerned about a possible discontinuation of the model, thus creating a massive devaluation of the Spyder, as well as an eventual lack of parts/support, etc.

Even if you look at the activity here on Spyderlovers, the ST forum is on the low end of visitors and posts compared to all other sections.

I have a great deal pending, just a 5+ hour drive to get it, do you think it's just cold feet, or a legitimate concern.

thanks for your thoughts and stay safe,

WM

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make the deal...
    They are a GREAT bike, and parts will be available for longer than you have it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE ISSUE HERE

I have said this a few times here before, IMHO the bean counters at BRP may make the final decision.......The " V " twin will be dis-continued......I'm not saying the engine is BAD.....it's NOT.....it's just in / on the wrong platform..............Why do you think NHSTA is suing BRP over the 2013 RT fiasco.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Hard decision. A member of our club just bought the dealer's personal 2013 ST-S used. She is very happy with it.

If you like the bike, jump on the good deal.

If you want the latest, greatest, and are worried about residual value--it might be good to wait and see what is around the bend.

Personally, I have bought a couple 2 year old (new) motorcycles, as well as discontinued versions. Never had a problem or had buyers remorse.

Our 2011 RT was purchased late in 2012--we are very happy with it--even though it does not have a 1330 engine in it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ViperWolf View Post
    As I close in on a great deal for a 14 ST-S, I have begun doubting my potential purchase.

With the steadfast history of the RT line and the new popularity of the F3 I am starting to be curious about the future of the ST's.

I am concerned about a possible discontinuation of the model, thus creating a massive devaluation of the Spyder, as well as an eventual lack of parts/support, etc.

Even if you look at the activity here on Spyderlovers, the ST forum is on the low end of visitors and posts compared to all other sections.

I have a great deal pending, just a 5+ hour drive to get it, do you think it's just cold feet, or a legitimate concern.

thanks for your thoughts and stay safe,

WM
    Also see teaser and new spyder posts
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Smile

De-value ? I would recommend NO motorcycle as an investment.

Have you ridden the triple ? I really hoped it would replace the twin in every model.

If you like the Ryde, and the deal is right, don't overthink it, they are all great.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)