Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Active Member RockyMountainRider50's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default American Motorist Association Y/N?

I'm curious if any Spyder Ryder are a member of the AMA and why or why not? Thanks in advance for your input.
    2012 RT LTD & RT-622 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been a member for 2 or 3 years. I joined for the roadside assistance they offer, plus some discounts on lodging, etc. They also do lobbying for motorcycling-related issues. I think it's a worthwhile organization.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have been and AMA ( American Motorcyclist Association) for 17 years. I would not be without it. If the only thing they provided was the lobbying effort the membership would be worth the money. They are always advocating for our rights as riders. Besides they have a great roadside service deal a good magazine, a good racing program, a good touring program, lots of discounts on things we will usually buy anyway.I just bought a new controller for my heated clothing from Warm and Safe and using my AMA membership I saved 18%,that is nearly half the cost of the membership.
    So yeah join up it will be more than worth your money and if you go to any of the events you can have a lot of fun.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have been and AMA ( American Motorcyclist Association) for 17 years. I would not be without it. If the only thing they provided was the lobbying effort the membership would be worth the money. They are always advocating for our rights as riders. Besides they have a great roadside service deal a good magazine, a good racing program, a good touring program, lots of discounts on things we will usually buy anyway.I just bought a new controller for my heated clothing from Warm and Safe and using my AMA membership I saved 18%,that is nearly half the cost of the membership.
    So yeah join up it will be more than worth your money and if you go to any of the events you can have a lot of fun.
    ​Charter Life Member here. The AMA works hard to protect riders' rights while providing other benefits at a reasonable membership cost.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am a member of AMA, American Motorcyclist Association. Had a need for roadside assistance, which was roughly equivalent to my annual membership fee.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AMA

No I'm not. Guess I'm just not aware of the benefits.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I joined for the roadside assistance they offer, plus some discounts on lodging, etc. They also do lobbying for motorcycling-related issues. I think it's a worthwhile organization.
    Been a member for about 8 years. (Motorcycle not motorist for me) Magazine is weak but that's not what I joined for.
    Last edited by Saluda; 06-18-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I am a member! The AMA did a powerful lobbying effort last year to keep E15 (15% ethanol gasoline) out of the market and from it being mandatory. No thanks to the EPA on that front! That brilliant implementation would have taken every motorcycle in the USA off the road. I know my previous bike said, in the Owner's Manual, not to run gasoline with more than 10% ethanol or serious damage to the engine would result. I did not notice such a warning in the Owner's manual for my Spyder.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Fifteen plus years a member for its political advocacy. A lot of people dislike or misunderstand motorcycling and without the AMA our voices would not he heard. Take the issue of small dirt bike sales being banned as part of the law prohibiting lead in toys. Made no sense but took an extensive coordinated effort of the AMA and a couple years to get the exemption for motorcycles and their batteries. ("Mr. Senator, I promise I won't eat my battery") In the interim, dealers mostly had to cease sales. Similar issues with discrimination in healthcare plans, motorcycle-only roadblocks, etc.
    Last edited by Raknid; 06-18-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    2012 RT-SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default American Motorcyclist Association

Absolutely. Since I first started riding many years ago. No one else out there is fighting for your rights like they are. Fighting battles to prevent health insurance discrimination, to keep municipalities from banning motorcycles on select streets, preventing states from running motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints, etc, etc. These are serious issues and expensive to fight. Both legally and thru Washington and state lobbying efforts. The deserve and need all the support we can give them. The personal benefits like roadside assistance, discounts, etc are just icing on the cake. It is the important work they are doing that really counts.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No...

I should be; I've just never taken that last step...
    Thanks for the gentle push!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am a member but I was a bit underwhelmed with the roadside assistance the one time I needed them. Saturday afternoon with a blowout on the side if an interstate where I was unfamiliar with any motorcycle support facilities. Their question to me was where did I want to be towed to and they had no info for me on nearby shops that could help me. The advocacy they do is worth the membership dues all by itself though.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Another AMA member here

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been a member for 23 years. I needed their road side assistance twice. They are our voice in Washington. Without them motorcycling would be in a real bad hurt.

Spyder Garage

I was a 15 year member of the American Motorcyclist Association in 1999. I bought a life membership for SWMBO and planned on doing the 25 year = Life Membership conversion for myself. When we attended the Honda Hoot in 1999 I received a rather rude dressing down at the AMA table because I was not a life member. This was in the era where the board was considering reducing life member benefits because of cash flow reasons. I did not renew my membership and do not plan on doing so.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Meanmoe View Post
    I was a 15 year member of the American Motorcyclist Association in 1999. I bought a life membership for SWMBO and planned on doing the 25 year = Life Membership conversion for myself. When we attended the Honda Hoot in 1999 I received a rather rude dressing down at the AMA table because I was not a life member. This was in the era where the board was considering reducing life member benefits because of cash flow reasons. I did not renew my membership and do not plan on doing so.
    I am rethinking my membership also. 18 years now. Now that I'm close to my 20 years, they went and changed the "life member" benefits to suit their cash register. It's all about the money! They do some good. But some are being paid very well I'm sure. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this provide a discount on insurance? I know Foremost asked me if I belonged to any groups.
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do some good. But some are being paid very well I'm sure. Tom [/QUOTE]

So aren't our politicians and if they had their way we'd be using E 20 and have no health insurance if we drive motorcycles. I feel they are definitely worth supporting but also understand your frustration.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

AMA member for over 10 years.

I hardly use any of the discount benefits; I mostly joined to support them in fighting for motorcycle rights. That's important to me enough to warrant the membership.

Spyder Garage

A question, doesn't everyone have roadside assistance thru their insurance. I pay $7-$10 a year for my 2 cars and $7-$9 for the bike.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    A question, doesn't everyone have roadside assistance thru their insurance. I pay $7-$10 a year for my 2 cars and $7-$9 for the bike.
    I have AAA for all my cars motorcycle and RV. It is a little more expensive for me because the RV (I think its $110 a year might be wrong) buy definitely worth the price as I had 2 inner back tires pop on our way home from Florida in Georgia and they just found and sent a mobile tire repair service to us on the side of the highway. plus all the discounts and perks that come along with it are really nice.

Spyder Garage

no not everyone has roadside service through their insurance but even if they did AMA Roadside Service is included in the membership.Plus all the political activism plus the racing programs plus the roadriding programs plus the rallies plus plus plus.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1-800-AMA-JOIN

I have been a member since 1970 and will continue, my wife, and all
    3 adult children are Life members as well. The bennifets are endless.
    Call the AMA and join today they protect your right to ride..
    Charter Life member AMA
    Past President AMA Dist. # 36
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-19-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

I've been a member for years, throught two bikes and now the Spyder. Well worth the money.

Pam

Spyder Garage

Default Of little value

yes but very minor coverage. Wouldn't be without Good Sam premier RV, which covers our Spyders. I encourage to read the fine print on your policy, if it meets your expectation than all is good. For me neither my insurance, BRP BEST or AMA give adequate roadside
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5