Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have a feeling we are in for a lively discussion on this subject.

Way to go Pirate

Our club does not have a written policy on the use of alcohol. I have been in the club since 2001 and am now the "eldest long standing" member.

We have never had an issue with drinkers, or had to drive someone home because they came to the meeting blitzed.

Peer pressure seems to be the rule. Most do not drink and ride. Our meal stop is at the end of each ride and there are a couple that will have a beer with their sandwitch or meal--myself included--sometimes. I have never seen anyone put down more than one beer--most of the time they drink about half. The meal lasts for an hour or more. The group breaks up at the restaurant and most do their own ride home.

DUI is a hefty fine now in Alaska and they are putting people in jail for many years if they are involved in an accident/death situation.

Ideally, the drinking of alcohol should not be mixed with motorcycling or any driving and should be done after the ride and at home. Realistic: Similar to the above is what is going to happen.

My two cents on the subject.
    Thanks for the reply. I am sure the discussion will get deep. I personally have no issue with people that want to have a drink on a ryde, and in the correct situation (not a club ryde) I will have that beer too. I am just interested in the input from all angles. Thanks!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious... How Did This Come Up?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We have a chapter of SRA here in Sacramento and we have made the decision that we would be a "Dry Club", ie we don't allow the consumption of alcohol on any of our Club Sanctioned Rydes. I am totally in favor of this as I don't want anything clouding my mind while I am ryding, and I recall the scenery much better that way. This has caused some issue with some members and I was wondering, how do other clubs out ther handle this? Is alcohol consumption tolerated out there? Do you I force any kind of limits if you are not dry? I would be interested in your responses.

Thanks,
    It has never come up at our club. I've seen one or two guys have one beer with lunch, but have never observed anyone drink any more than that while on a ride. Frankly it struck me as odd that this would even be an issue with an SRA club. What caused it to be a concern at your club? Were there members who were consuming too much alcohol on rides? Does SRA require that this issue be addressed in the club rules?
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-17-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Unlike a Harley club, the average age of a Spyder owner is probably 60. Most people 60 unless an alcoholic controls their drinking. Making rules probably wouldn't really fix anything and might turn off some. I'd think that if you had a member that was a problem you could deal with that one member. I'm personally not much of a joiner because that a lot of "clubs" make a bunch of unnecessary rules which are then unevenly enforced.

IMO I'd leave it alone. Deal with any problem on a needed basis.

Personally, I drink some and really DO NOT care for a person that can't handle their booze. They are excluded from my circle.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Drinking and driving

We ryde with GWRRA members most of the time. We have drinkers, myself included, but when the bike is put up for the day or night we will at times have some alcohol, but not to extremes. This is sort of an unwritten rule, but everybody follows it. Good points.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I belong to a CMC club where they have a no alcohol policy.It,s all across Canada and I think it,s a great idea out on club rides.If I,m with a buddy out for a Sunday ride we,llstop for lunch have a nice meal and a cold beer.Sit and talk probably an hour or so.Then finish our ride.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Default Never a problem

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Unlike a Harley club, the average age of a Spyder owner is probably 60. Most people 60 unless an alcoholic controls their drinking. Making rules probably wouldn't really fix anything and might turn off some. I'd think that if you had a member that was a problem you could deal with that one member. I'm personally not much of a joiner because that a lot of "clubs" make a bunch of unnecessary rules which are then unevenly enforced.

IMO I'd leave it alone. Deal with any problem on a needed basis.

Personally, I drink some and really DO NOT care for a person that can't handle their booze. They are excluded from my circle.
    This was never a problem. Just a decision made when the club was formed.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pirate, I think that you guys have the most organized SRA club and I commend you for having this rule. Nevada just changed the classification of a Spyder from a motorcycle to a tri-mobile. Tri-mobiles in NV are not required to have a motorcycle endorsement or to wear a helmet. I am seriously considering changing our SRA bylaws to require all riders wear helmets and proper riding gear on club rides and that newcomers be required to pass some sort of skills test. The issue of drinking has never come up on any of our rides and I can honestly say that I have never seen one of our members order a drink when we have stopped. Sometimes we meet for dinner and I think some may have had drinks then but we are not riding to or from these dinners as a group.

I guess it boils down to do your members want to follow this rule or not, and if not, then they should be removed from the club.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    It's the law Don't Drink and Drive. jtpollock
    Technically you are wrong.

You can't drink while driving and you can't drive if you are over the legal limit. But it is not illegal to drink a beer and then drive.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Safety?
    While drinking and driving is unwise, one beer is not going to affect your cognitive abilities.
    You don't know that. It completely depends on the person drinking the beer. Safety? Yes, safety. The overall safety of the group...regardless of their ability...is going to be greater if there is no drinking.

"While drinking and driving is unwise..." is one of the most ridiculous understatements I've seen on here. Drinking and driving isn't "unwise", it's stupid.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default As a member...

Lets put this into some further perspective... After all, this is California, where the possibility of litigation waits around each and every corner.
    We as a club, don't have deep pockets. Heading something like a lawsuit off at the pass is, IMHO a prudent stand.
    It only takes 1 "dumas" with a low alcohol threshold and the inability to take personal responsibility, to ruin the lives of every member of the club. I certainly don't believe its in any way based in a morality judgment or pushing a pro-temperance movement. It's a simple case of CYA/better safe than sorry. If that rule doesn't suit you...It's easy enough to find a club with rules that do.
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    If you have a DUI you cannot enter Canada. They consider it an aggravated felony up there I just heard this when John Stamos (Full House) got picked up over the weekend. He is filming in Canada and if convicted he won't be anymore.
    That's absolutely true. We race up in Canada and there are always people in the race series who can't go because Canada won't let them in because they've had a DUI.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    It's all about choice.

Chris
    Not for drinking and driving. At least if I'm understanding you correctly.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Technically you are wrong.

You can't drink while driving and you can't drive if you are over the legal limit. But it is not illegal to drink a beer and then drive.
    Again, it depends on how the person's body reacts to the alcohol. If someone drinks one beer and is impaired...and there are people out there like that...it is illegal.

Do. Not. Drink. And. Drive.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Pirate, I think that you guys have the most organized SRA club and I commend you for having this rule. Nevada just changed the classification of a Spyder from a motorcycle to a tri-mobile. Tri-mobiles in NV are not required to have a motorcycle endorsement or to wear a helmet. I am seriously considering changing our SRA bylaws to require all riders wear helmets and proper riding gear on club rides and that newcomers be required to pass some sort of skills test. The issue of drinking has never come up on any of our rides and I can honestly say that I have never seen one of our members order a drink when we have stopped. Sometimes we meet for dinner and I think some may have had drinks then but we are not riding to or from these dinners as a group.

I guess it boils down to do your members want to follow this rule or not, and if not, then they should be removed from the club.
    Thanks Ann,

the he officers of our organization have done a great job of keeping us organized, and I am in total agreement that the no alcohol rule will serve us well.

Spyder Garage

If the club is chartered or has written by-laws, the rules for consuming should be included there. If it's not in the by-laws or charter, it should be considered by the officers, then brought up to the general membership for a vote. If there is no charter or by-laws, I would think it would be up to the general membership to decide what they want to do. One thing to remember, if you wear the patch of your club, you directly represent that club whether you are riding in the group or solo. Your actions, good or bad, reflect on the club as a whole.

It doesn't matter whether you drink or not, we should all be responsible for each other when we ride in a group. Just my opinion.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

TOTALLY AGREE

As past Director of Southern Nevada HOG I can say that the vast majority of HOG Chapters (if not all) are DRY. Meaning during the ride no adult beverage. If an overnighter, once we stop . . . party time, but DURING the ride (including pit stops) NO! Additionally, anyone partaking an adult beverage during the ride is politely told they can not continue with us during THAT ride.

There will always be some that are offended by this policy, but for the good of the majority, it's not only wise, but the only choice.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We have a chapter of SRA here in Sacramento and we have made the decision that we would be a "Dry Club", ie we don't allow the consumption of alcohol on any of our Club Sanctioned Rydes. I am totally in favor of this as I don't want anything clouding my mind while I am ryding, and I recall the scenery much better that way. I have my cocktail when the motorcycle is put away! This has caused some issue with some members and I was wondering, how do other clubs out ther handle this? Is alcohol consumption tolerated out there? Do you I force any kind of limits if you are not dry? I would be interested in your responses.

Thanks,

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Ann,
    Might I suggest the adjective DOT to the noun helmets!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This rider hasn't been invited to the ride; has he?

for the record; the image was staged...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Damn

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This rider hasn't been invited to the ride; has he?

for the record; the image was staged...
    You found my old college pic!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You went there also??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I belong to a dry club. It is stated right up front in our invitation to new members when they ask about joining and again if they actually do join.Our club has a religious affiliation (voluntary not official) that does not condone the use of alcohol and when anyone rides with us member or not we ask them to ride by our rules while they are with us.In 25 years we have not had a problem with that. There have been a few who do not subscribe to our beliefs but ride with us anyway because of the dry attitude. We try not to be dogmatic or mean or unfriendly and we aren't going to argue with you the finer points of temperance and abstinence. Our belief system is what it is and the club is organized along the lines of that system. Most people understand that and make decisions accordingly.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

No alcohol on rides is in our Club's bylaws and that is just the way it is. Everyone accepts it and that's it.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    We do not drink and ride and don't like to be around those that do. The local Harley shop has free beer Saturdays, lots of drinking and I still can't believe that they feel it is ok to have everyone ride in, liquor them all up and then send them back out on the road. Bike nights there are basically the same except the beer isn't free.
    I knew there was some trick involved to get people to buy a Harley
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Pirate, I think that you guys have the most organized SRA club and I commend you for having this rule.
    Ann...as President of the Sac Chapter, I want to thank you for the kind words. Yes, the rule rubs some the wrong way, but 95% comply with no issue whatsoever. I consume alcohol...but not on Chapter rides. I am fine not having a beer for a few hours, until I get home. The object is to ride and have fun...both of which I can do without alcohol. I have refunded dues paid to those who cannot abide by the rules...but it is a rarity.

Spyder Garage

Firstly just to say that I hold a "Liquor Licence Controller Qualification", this means I can be the manager/owner of an on-licence or off-licences premise. So the points are based on NZ certification:

• Any amount of alcohol will affect you.
    • The body can normally break down one unit* of alcohol per hour. However this can vary and depends on a lot of other factors (size, health, How much food you've eaten, medication, etc).
    • Eating before or during drinking will help this process a little - though this is partly because it tends to cuts down consumption.
    • Drinking coffee, cold showers, sleeping etc will not speed up this process. Only time lowers your level of intoxication.
    • Even if all alcohol has left your system your reactions are still adversely affected until you've also slept.
    • If you drink alcohol regularly then there may be less indication of intoxication (i.e. you may feel/appear sober). However your ability to react to unexpected events will still be affected.

* Unit in this case being roughly:

• 1 x 25mg (0.8 US oz) Spirit
    • 1/2 to 1/3 a pint of beer or Cider
    • 1 to 2/3 a stubbie (330ml bottle) of beer
    • 1/2 to 1/3 of a glass of wine

Personally I will never ride a motorbike if I've had a drink, I just don't feel comfortable doing so even if I feel sober. I will have pint of beer and drive a car but only if it's:

• At least 2 hours after drinking and I've consumed food
    • At least 3 hours after drinking

However I don't have a problem with others riding/driving if they feel comfortable doing so, are under the limit and are in lower part of category 1 (as part of my original training I learnt how to categorise 4 levels of intoxication)

With the groups I ride with the unwritten rule seems to be no drinking on the run, at the end of the run some people may have a drink - as everyone then heads home in different directions that has no impact on other riders.