Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dry Club or Not?

We have a chapter of SRA here in Sacramento and we have made the decision that we would be a "Dry Club", ie we don't allow the consumption of alcohol on any of our Club Sanctioned Rydes. I am totally in favor of this as I don't want anything clouding my mind while I am ryding, and I recall the scenery much better that way. I have my cocktail when the motorcycle is put away! This has caused some issue with some members and I was wondering, how do other clubs out ther handle this? Is alcohol consumption tolerated out there? Do you I force any kind of limits if you are not dry? I would be interested in your responses.

Thanks,
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I most certainly would NOT ride in a group that some members has been consuming alcohol..

osm

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default drink and drive don't mix

Like you, have my beer at home. Only 'group' I ride with is Patriot Guard Riders -- no nonsense with these folks.

MAY have one with my brother when we get a chance to ride together.

Just me..

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

alcohol and motor vehicles of any type: do not mix well...
    Once the ride is done...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

It's a sad state of affairs when otherwise responsible people cannot be relied upon
    to sensibly limit their consumption of alcohol.
    My friends and I almost always stop at a pub on a ride and have a pint and a sandwich or snack.
    We then leave refreshed and ready for the trip home or whatever.
    None of us are drunk and we're in full control of our faculties.
    Having someone else's moral standards rammed down your throat during your leisure time is
    a good reason to go and find something else to do with other company.
    Demonising alcohol is not any sort of solution, it may in fact exacerbate the problem.
    What happens if one of the 'drinkers' in your group decides to get around your regulation by
    knocking back a fifth before he leaves his home....you would be none the wiser and he would
    be a serious liability to all in the group. Just my tuppence worth...

Spyder Garage

Default Well said

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    It's a sad state of affairs when otherwise responsible people cannot be relied upon
    to sensibly limit their consumption of alcohol.
    My friends and I almost always stop at a pub on a ride and have a pint and a sandwich or snack.
    We then leave refreshed and ready for the trip home or whatever.
    None of us are drunk and we're in full control of our faculties.
    Having someone else's moral standards rammed down your throat during your leisure time is
    a good reason to go and find something else to do with other company.
    Demonising alcohol is not any sort of solution, it may in fact exacerbate the problem.
    What happens if one of the 'drinkers' in your group decides to get around your regulation by
    knocking back a fifth before he leaves his home....you would be none the wiser and he would
    be a serious liability to all in the group. Just my tuppence worth...
    Dont get me wrong, we are not demonizing alcohol, and I agree with you, as when I am out for a ride with my brother we will stop and have A beer, the. Back on the road. This is more from an "Official Club" ryde point of view. This has nothing to do with moral standards, it has to do with safety. I know that after my one beer with my brother, I am not as sharp as I was without it, but like you, I am capable of handling my bike, but I am still not 100%. As for nocking back a fifth (we only have liters now) we have enough law enforcement people in the group, that would not go unnoticed. And thanks for the tuppence, I really do appreciate it.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't drink alcohol at all. I don't like to ride with others that do. All drivers of any vehicle need to stay off the stuff when operating any vehicle - car, bike, atv, boat, snowmobile etc. I have left a few clubs due to excessive alcohol usage by its members.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Safety? Once again your group appears to be saying that everyone is a safe rider if they
    have had no alcohol....and that as I'm sure you're well aware is tripe!
    Most groups encompass folk who aren't as competent as others and the really poor riders
    are more dangerous than your good riders who've enjoyed a beer.
    Sorry but the generalization of riders and the wish to put all into the same pigeon-hole just doesn't work.
    While drinking and driving is unwise, one beer is not going to affect your cognitive abilities.
    Of course it also means that if anyone has a cold, hay-fever or similar then they'll have to stay at
    home too as many of the remedies most certainly do affect your driving.

Spyder Garage

Default Nope

Safety? Once again your group appears to be saying that everyone is a safe rider if they
    have had no alcohol....and that as I'm sure you're well aware is tripe!
    Most groups encompass folk who aren't as competent as others and the really poor riders
    are more dangerous than your good riders who've enjoyed a beer.
    Sorry but the generalization of riders and the wish to put all into the same pigeon-hole just doesn't work.
    While drinking and driving is unwise, one beer is not going to affect your cognitive abilities.
    Of course it also means that if anyone has a cold, hay-fever or similar then they'll have to stay at
    home too as many of the remedies most certainly do affect your driving.
    I think you are missing the point. I am not saying that all non drinkers are safe, I am saying that all Ryders no matter the skill level, are safer if they have not had anything at all to drink, than they would be if they did have a drink, and that my friend is just Science. The inexperienced ryder is still inexperienced, and potentially more dangerous, than the seasoned ryder. Now add alcohol to the equation and both the these ryders are impaired with regards to reaction time etc. These are two different pigeon holes if you will, the common factor is the impact of alcohol on these two groups. I know that this is true for me, and I am pretty sure that anyone on this board would agree, if you feel the relaxation effect of one beer, that same effect has impaired your ability to handle your machine at the same level you did before you had the beer. I am not saying that one beer makes you unsafe, I am only stating that the ryder is impaired once they have indulged. As for medication, 14 years in the pharmaceutical tells me that the warnings on labels are there for a good reason, and anyone using narcotic pain relievers, or antihistamines that cause drowsiness, should also not be operating vehicles either. In today's day ther is a plethora of non-drowsy medications out there that will not impair anyone, short of an allergic reaction.

I salute ute your enjoyment of a nice cold libation after a long ryde, and I would gladly join you one of these days. I am just not going to do on our officially sanctioned group rydes.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas and do not mix well

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I think you are missing the point. I am not saying that all non drinkers are safe, I am saying that all Ryders no matter the skill level, are safer if they have not had anything at all to drink, than they would be if they did have a drink, and that my friend is just Science. The inexperienced ryder is still inexperienced, and potentially more dangerous, than the seasoned ryder. Now add alcohol to the equation and both the these ryders are impaired with regards to reaction time etc. These are two different pigeon holes if you will, the common factor is the impact of alcohol on these two groups. I know that this is true for me, and I am pretty sure that anyone on this board would agree, if you feel the relaxation effect of one beer, that same effect has impaired your ability to handle your machine at the same level you did before you had the beer. I am not saying that one beer makes you unsafe, I am only stating that the ryder is impaired once they have indulged. As for medication, 14 years in the pharmaceutical tells me that the warnings on labels are there for a good reason, and anyone using narcotic pain relievers, or antihistamines that cause drowsiness, should also not be operating vehicles either. In today's day ther is a plethora of non-drowsy medications out there that will not impair anyone, short of an allergic reaction.

I salute ute your enjoyment of a nice cold libation after a long ryde, and I would gladly join you one of these days. I am just not going to do on our officially sanctioned group rydes.
    I do not drink alcohol when riding. I don't like to ride with those that do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Safety?
    You don't know that. It completely depends on the person drinking the beer. Safety? Yes, safety. The overall safety of the group...regardless of their ability...is going to be greater if there is no drinking.

"While drinking and driving is unwise..." is one of the most ridiculous understatements I've seen on here. Drinking and driving isn't "unwise", it's stupid.

Spyder Garage

Anyone that thinks that with only one alcoholic drink that their reflex time doesn't decrease is only fooling themselves.

Pirate looks at--,

If your rules are going to state no alcohol, then those joining should abide, or don't ride. I think once you allow alcohol, and then try to limit the amount, you'll run into trouble.

I drink every now and then, but not while I'm riding the spyder. The only drink I like these days is hot sake, and my gf drives the car, if I partake.

Spyder Garage

Default Sake

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Anyone that thinks that with only one alcoholic drink that their reflex time doesn't decrease is only fooling themselves.

Pirate looks at--,

If your rules are going to state no alcohol, then those joining should abide, or don't ride. I think once you allow alcohol, and then try to limit the amount, you'll run into trouble.

I drink every now and then, but not while I'm riding the spyder. The only drink I like these days is hot sake, and my gf drives the car, if I partake.
    Man I love hot Sake, and Some really great Cold Sakes that I have had recently. Like you I jus don't drink and drive at all anymore, here in California the penalties are worse than for Man Slaughter!

Spyder Garage

Cool

A couple things:
    It is a Club, they can make their own rules and I would suggest NO alcohol or drug use period. It can decrease the safety level, potentially illegal and can cause liability to the Club.....LIABILITY ! One lawsuit even not warranted can destroy you because you need to defend it....$$$$.

Some dont no when to stop drinking, who is going to monitor that ?....most people wont stop another from drinking too much....so you cant monitor it other than to say NO. And if someone shows up intoxicated....they cant go on the ride and repeat offences, they need to be expelled from the Club.

On the commenter from England (remember we have people here from all over), attitudes about drinking differ from all over the world. As an example, in Germany you can actually drink a beer legally while driving....do that here in the USA and see what happens. Attitudes about alcohol differ around the globe.

I just dont get the drinking when on a motorcycle....you need to be alert and not impaired ! If I was in a Club that did not have strict policies on this....I would leave. Same goes for drug use including marijuana....which is becoming legal in some states. It impairs too ! We have had 4 deaths recently in my State where a "high" driver had hit and killed someone.

Enjoy the ride....for the ride !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Sorry if I was sounding contentious.....I was a professional motorcycle instructor back in the 80s
    and blaming alcohol for every known driving problem is a non-starter. There are some people who,
    even given decades of riding experience, will always be a liability to those around them. I know two
    who have been riding for over 20 years and have their full motorcycle licenses and are totally unfit
    to ride. But as long as they haven't yet killed anyone it seems OK! Their car driving is no better.
    By the way drinking a couple of large stiff Espressos is almost as risky, as the caffeine will ramp your
    blood pressure right through the roof....also not great for the concentration. The same of course
    goes for energy drinks such as Red Bull. Over loud music while driving should also be banned as
    should be the wearing of ear-buds as they both isolate a rider/driver from their surroundings and
    cause disorientation.
    I'll stick with my single pint accompanied by a small meal. No caffeine o/d, no loud music!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALCOHOL

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

Pirate looks at--,

......But, I have some alcoholic drink/s every day. I just don't have any while I'm out riding either on my Spyder or in any of my other vehicles....Do I think a beer, glass of wine , one cocktail with lunch or dinner is OK for an adult, Yes.........But I also see there are Serious problems with people THAT CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE !!!!.............So a NO DRINKING Club Rule is also acceptable......A person can chose to join or not.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-18-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have more than enough trouble staying between the lines anyway!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We have a chapter of SRA here in Sacramento and we have made the decision that we would be a "Dry Club", ie we don't allow the consumption of alcohol on any of our Club Sanctioned Rydes. I am totally in favor of this as I don't want anything clouding my mind while I am ryding, and I recall the scenery much better that way. I have my cocktail when the motorcycle is put away! This has caused some issue with some members and I was wondering, how do other clubs out ther handle this? Is alcohol consumption tolerated out there? Do you I force any kind of limits if you are not dry? I would be interested in your responses.

Thanks,
    It's the law Don't Drink and Drive. jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not the alcohol; it's the mis-use of it...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well i don't drink but i am a pervert so i guess it's a good thing there is no law 'no sex while riding'.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We do not drink and ride and don't like to be around those that do. The local Harley shop has free beer Saturdays, lots of drinking and I still can't believe that they feel it is ok to have everyone ride in, liquor them all up and then send them back out on the road. Bike nights there are basically the same except the beer isn't free.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    We do not drink and ride and don't like to be around those that do. The local Harley shop has free beer Saturdays, lots of drinking and I still can't believe that they feel it is ok to have everyone ride in, liquor them all up and then send them back out on the road. Bike nights there are basically the same except the beer isn't free.
    I knew there was some trick involved to get people to buy a Harley
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Common sense

If I do even stop at a pub and have a drink I choose to only have one and then won't even touch my keys for at least an hour afterwards. I do this whether I'm on 2, 3 or 4 wheels. The cost of a DUI and even worse, the thought of me hurting someone else due to not being 100% focused is enough to keep me from even thinking about driving with alcohol fresh in me. As former law enforcement I have seen too many people hurt by drinking and driving. Almost lost my father to a drunk driver when I was 3. So I'm very serious about it. Just my opinion though. And if someone does not like the rule of your riding group they can find others to join. You will never make everyone happy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

It's not the alcohol; it's the mis-use of it...

Some people cant (just be happy)& can ruin it for the rest of us. Fyi not in AA but last taste was new years 2011 b4 I was injured by a DUI crook. Long story but they in jail & im enjoying all I can. No alcohol needed just
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post

Some people cant (just be happy)& can ruin it for the rest of us. Fyi not in AA but last taste was new years 2011 b4 I was injured by a DUI crook. Long story but they in jail & im enjoying all I can. No alcohol needed just
    If the DUI & medicated people could only injure themselves World be a lot better off. But fact is they CAUSE accident & usually get minor injury if @ all, now so many are txting & driving as well, Driving is not suppose to be Russian roulette!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack