Spyder Garage

Default How to remove the upper side panel where the vents are attached

I know I read a thread where someone asked about removing the side panel once the new vents are installed, but I cannot find the thread again. My recall was done today and I want to look under the hood to see what is different. With my Vertika vents, all one had to do was remove the side panel and the vent was attached to it. However, the new vent is attached, apparently, to the two bolt holes that held the deflector. Has anyone figured out how to remove the vent to be able to remove the side panel? The panel will not come off without removing the vent to get at those two bolts. I'll be going back to the dealer in the morning to pick up my other bike and will ask then, if no one knows.

As to the heat on my ride home (about 75 miles), it was hot as blazes outside. The air temperature was 102 and the Spyder's temp gauge said 109. I found the glove box and side panels to be rather hot, as you would expect given the air temp. I have not ridden with the Vertika vents in that much heat, but with the Vertika vents the glove box and panels were cool to the touch when the air temp was in the 90's. I hope that it was just the air temp that made it so hot today. Additionally, my right foot was hot, but again, it was pretty hot outside. I know everyone is glowing about the fix, but I think that more time is needed before I will jump to the conclusion that everything is fixed.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Every external part of my Spyder was hotter than hell's doorstep after today's ride. Had a steady 99 on my thermometer.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    I want to look under the hood to see what is different. With my Vertika vents, all one had to do was remove the side panel and the vent was attached to it. However, the new vent is attached, apparently, to the two bolt holes that held the deflector. Has anyone figured out how to remove the vent to be able to remove the side panel? The panel will not come off without removing the vent to get at those two bolts.
    Looking at the installation instructions only one of the two bolts is reinstalled, and it is the next to last step in the procedure to install the side panel. The last step is placing a cap over the bolt. Sooooo, look for a cap, pull it off, and then you should be able to remove the panel the same as always. You do not need to remove the grill to get to the bolt. In fact, the entire scoop assembly is fastened to the panel before the panel is installed on the bike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Solution

Ok, there is a tab about the size of a quarter, located in the center section of the grill at the end toward the Spyder. A screwdriver pops it out to reveal one bolt. The vent itself is mounted to the side panel with screws and does not need to come off. Once I took off the side panel, the new canister is not located where the old one was. The whole assembly is located closer to the gas tank and away from the engine.
    2013 RTS SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know I read a thread where someone asked about removing the side panel once the new vents are installed, but I cannot find the thread again. My recall was done today and I want to look under the hood to see what is different. With my Vertika vents, all one had to do was remove the side panel and the vent was attached to it. However, the new vent is attached, apparently, to the two bolt holes that held the deflector. Has anyone figured out how to remove the vent to be able to remove the side panel? The panel will not come off without removing the vent to get at those two bolts. I'll be going back to the dealer in the morning to pick up my other bike and will ask then, if no one knows.

As to the heat on my ride home (about 75 miles), it was hot as blazes outside. The air temperature was 102 and the Spyder's temp gauge said 109. I found the glove box and side panels to be rather hot, as you would expect given the air temp. I have not ridden with the Vertika vents in that much heat, but with the Vertika vents the glove box and panels were cool to the touch when the air temp was in the 90's. I hope that it was just the air temp that made it so hot today. Additionally, my right foot was hot, but again, it was pretty hot outside. I know everyone is glowing about the fix, but I think that more time is needed before I will jump to the conclusion that everything is fixed.

You are the first to report rather hot glove box and air panels after the recall was done. Do you have any other mods such as header heat wrap or cat delete on your RT? Did you have the gas smell, boiling gas or hot gas cap when you parked your bike when you got home?

Riding in temps above 100 degrees for extended periods is always uncomfortable IMO. I rode my wife's RT for 50 miles after the mod on the freeway when the air temp gage on the RT showed 104 degrees. The side panels, glove box, and front of the seat were just barely warm to touch. They were warm when driving in stop and go traffic on the same day but not hot. That being said I have also heat wrapped the engine headers and removed the catlyic converter.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Every external part of my Spyder was hotter than hell's doorstep after today's ride. Had a steady 99 on my thermometer.
    You have a 2014 RT correct? Perhaps is just the sun beating down on you bike heating it up. Have not heard of problems with the 2014's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    You are the first to report rather hot glove box and air panels after the recall was done. Do you have any other mods such as header heat wrap or cat delete on your RT? Did you have the gas smell, boiling gas or hot gas cap when you parked your bike when you got home?

Riding in temps above 100 degrees for extended periods is always uncomfortable IMO. I rode my wife's RT for 50 miles after the mod on the freeway when the air temp gage on the RT showed 104 degrees. The side panels, glove box, and front of the seat were just barely warm to touch. They were warm when driving in stop and go traffic on the same day but not hot. That being said I have also heat wrapped the engine headers and removed the catlyic converter.
    I have the airbox removed, cat delete, had the canister removed, wrapped the left header pipe (because it went under the gas tank) and had the Vertika vents installed. With all that done, I had no heat at the glove box or the side panels while the Spyder was moving. When I put my hand on those areas, they were actually cool. Of course when I stopped at idle, those areas did get warmer. I did not have any gas smell, because the canister was gone, or boiling gas.

Once the fix was done, I have a lot of heat at the glove box and side panels. When I took off the left side panel to see what they had done, I see that the new canister assembly sits at a point that, in my opinion, blocks the air that used to flow to the glove box area. When I pulled into the garage I did not have any gas smell, but of course, the canister is brand new. The new canister assembly is so complex that I don't really know what would be involved in removing it, yet.

I agree that temps over 100 present problems, but there is clearly more heat at the glove box than I had when riding with temperatures in the 90-95 range with the Vertika vents. The engine is running as cool with the new system as it did with the Vertika vents, as I haven't seen more than 5 bars. I did not ride very much at slower speeds, as I was on the interstate riding at 72 mph. Hopefully, this heat wave will break soon!
    2013 RTS SE5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully, this heat wave will break soon!
    It will soon, as in September.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the airbox removed, cat delete, had the canister removed, wrapped the left header pipe (because it went under the gas tank) and had the Vertika vents installed. With all that done, I had no heat at the glove box or the side panels while the Spyder was moving. When I put my hand on those areas, they were actually cool. Of course when I stopped at idle, those areas did get warmer. I did not have any gas smell, because the canister was gone, or boiling gas.

Once the fix was done, I have a lot of heat at the glove box and side panels. When I took off the left side panel to see what they had done, I see that the new canister assembly sits at a point that, in my opinion, blocks the air that used to flow to the glove box area. When I pulled into the garage I did not have any gas smell, but of course, the canister is brand new. The new canister assembly is so complex that I don't really know what would be involved in removing it, yet.

I agree that temps over 100 present problems, but there is clearly more heat at the glove box than I had when riding with temperatures in the 90-95 range with the Vertika vents. The engine is running as cool with the new system as it did with the Vertika vents, as I haven't seen more than 5 bars. I did not ride very much at slower speeds, as I was on the interstate riding at 72 mph. Hopefully, this heat wave will break soon!
    Thanks for the information. Puzzling that it is hotter than before in the glove box and panels, especially since the acoustic panels were removed with the recall, and should help with airflow. Riding in temps over a 100 is understandably uncomfortable. Again thanks for your quick response.

Spyder Garage

You have a 2014 RT correct? Perhaps is just the sun beating down on you bike heating it up. Have not heard of problems with the 2014's.
    Absolutely no heat problem with the Spyder. We're just having record heat wave. Could have fried an egg on the black bars yesterday afternoon.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. Puzzling that it is hotter than before in the glove box and panels, especially since the acoustic panels were removed with the recall, and should help with airflow. Riding in temps over a 100 is understandably uncomfortable. Again thanks for your quick response.
    Actually, I had removed the acoustic panels as soon as the recall details were released. So they were gone before the recall was done. It is puzzling to me as well, but I need to ride more to see what is going on. I was just reporting my initial impressions. I still think they have clogged up an area that was previously open, with the new canister setup.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I took a 50 mile ride this morning before the heat set in. The air temp was 89 and the Spyder temp read 93. The glove box and panels were only warm. I agree that the 103 temp I rode in earlier was probably why the box and panels were hot. Motorcycles are inherently hot beasts, especially when you consider that the engine is so close to the rider. My Kawasaki is hot in this weather as well. My reason for posting this was simply to record my observations and not to complain about rider comfort. Clearly the engine itself is being properly cooled.
    2013 RTS SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I took a 50 mile ride this morning before the heat set in. The air temp was 89 and the Spyder temp read 93. The glove box and panels were only warm. I agree that the 103 temp I rode in earlier was probably why the box and panels were hot. Motorcycles are inherently hot beasts, especially when you consider that the engine is so close to the rider. My Kawasaki is hot in this weather as well. My reason for posting this was simply to record my observations and not to complain about rider comfort. Clearly the engine itself is being properly cooled.
    Yep, sitting on top or just behind a motorcycle engine is not comfortable in hot weather. My 2013 Road King gets pretty warm when it's hot out and the gas tank get very warm to touch.

Road my wife's RT about 60 miles again today, temp was 95 on the Spyder display screen. Everything still cool to touch. My wife's RT is yellow, so maybe that helps deflect some of the Suns heat. Still no fumes after ride and fuel tank not even warm.

Spyder Garage

One additional thing I have noticed, is that by removing the acoustic panels, a hole has been created that allows hot air to vent toward the rider. If you will check on the right side (similar to where the gas cap is on the left) there is a hole you can almost put your hand through. I had removed my acoustic panels before the recall, so I still had mine. I cut the panels in half, so that the hole made for the vents is not blocked, and mounted the remaining half back onto the Spyder. This blocks the air from escaping into the rider's lap.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

One additional thing I have noticed, is that by removing the acoustic panels, a hole has been created that allows hot air to vent toward the rider. If you will check on the right side (similar to where the gas cap is on the left) there is a hole you can almost put your hand through. I had removed my acoustic panels before the recall, so I still had mine. I cut the panels in half, so that the hole made for the vents is not blocked, and mounted the remaining half back onto the Spyder. This blocks the air from escaping into the rider's lap.
    That was there before the recall and just as hot. I had it covered with DEI heat tape.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is a great idea, probably forces the air flow downward. I used heat reflective insulation under the glove box, front of gas tank, and frame hole under seat prior to the recall; so that is probably why I don't feel anything after the recall was done. I believe recall did require heat insulation on the cowling on the upper panels aft of the new air scopes also. Thanks for information.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    That was there before the recall and just as hot. I had it covered with DEI heat tape.
    Dave,
    Actually, it was not there before the acoustic panel was removed. When I reinstalled half of the acoustic panels, there is plastic that wraps around behind the hole and closes almost all of it. You may be looking at another area. What I am talking about is the area behind the spot on the left that is similar to the gas cap area. Without the panel, you can almost get your whole hand through the hole. With the panel you cannot. Even on the gas cap side, there is an opening as well. I installed half of the panel on that side as well. That still left a small hole going toward the gas cap, which I covered with heat shielding.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Actually, it was not there before the acoustic panel was removed. When I reinstalled half of the acoustic panels, there is plastic that wraps around behind the hole and closes almost all of it. You may be looking at another area. What I am talking about is the area behind the spot on the left that is similar to the gas cap area. Without the panel, you can almost get your whole hand through the hole. With the panel you cannot. Even on the gas cap side, there is an opening as well. I installed half of the panel on that side as well. That still left a small hole going toward the gas cap, which I covered with heat shielding.
    All I remember for sure was the hole on the plastic was there and it spewed heat from it. I covered it before and recovered it now. I assume you speak of

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I went out and checked I think I see what you are talking about it is further forward of the latch by the Tupperware I stuck my hand in there and felt the insulating pad that was part of the recall on the Tupperware.