Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Recalls are for SAFETY issues.
    Your dealer has a Service bulletin listing the VINs effected by the DESS error (at least the 2014and prior).
    Check with them to see if your machines on the list.

AJ
    Are we getting the ignition switch problem confused with the DESS problem? There was a list of key codes and VIN's for the ignition switch problem but this is the first I've read of a list of known VIN's for the DESS problem. I don't recall reading of anyone having their DESS replaced proactively because it was on a list. The replacements have been because a DESS caused a problem and the owner complained or was stranded. I thought the DESS problem was random throughout the production run and hopefully the new part number would solve it. But you won't know if you got a faulty one or not until the problem occurs. Is there a VIN list? That would be great.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Interesting conversation . . . as owners, we should be paying close attention to service bulletins. Not every dealer does, and I suspect lots of folks are in and out of dealerships, assuming SB's are being done . . . that aren't.

As most of us have discovered, not all dealerships are the same . . . and some are less than reliable. Look at the number of folks who had to inform their dealers about the most recent recall for the 2013 RT, even after BRP had put out the word . . .
    It would be nice if we could but unless you have access to BOSS web, the only TSB's we see are ones some that has access to BOSS web leaks! BRP does not post these to the public.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    It would be nice if we could but unless you have access to BOSS web, the only TSB's we see are ones some that has access to BOSS web leaks! BRP does not post these to the public.

Bob
    No . . . but there are lots of BRP-related forums and a regular search often brings up good info . . . and some folks post the bulletins here, too! We need to remain proactive . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KEY PICTURE

A few weeks ago Dee (Deanna777) my GF began seeing the " KEY " pic show up on her screen. No issues but the PIC which made Her nervous !!!... So I have been following this thread.......I was entered in an early 4 th Parade ( on Sat.) with MAX ( in HIS cheapo trailer )....and after an hour of very very very slow riding ( with no over-heat ..14 RT )...when I stopped to get Him a soft ice-cream the " KEY " pic showed on the screen also the Brake Indicator light would not go off. After removing my key and feeding Max when I re-started everything was fine because it re-booted itself.......This does appear to be going around....!!!!!.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Only quoting what told. I could have misinterpret or they misspoke.

After my error, I brought it in. Was told I was not on the list (may have been referring to key like you said) and that a whole bunch codes had been thrown.

They found nothing wrong and said it might be the heat here 110+ and said if it happens again to call them for the tow and not to turn the ignition off so they could see the orange screen.

They were stymied

Hope they won't be upset when I call from a few hundred miles away LOL

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Are we getting the ignition switch problem confused with the DESS problem? There was a list of key codes and VIN's for the ignition switch problem but this is the first I've read of a list of known VIN's for the DESS problem. I don't recall reading of anyone having their DESS replaced proactively because it was on a list. The replacements have been because a DESS caused a problem and the owner complained or was stranded. I thought the DESS problem was random throughout the production run and hopefully the new part number would solve it. But you won't know if you got a faulty one or not until the problem occurs. Is there a VIN list? That would be great.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default SOME HORSE PUCKY BEING THROWN HERE

Only quoting what told. I could have misinterpret or they misspoke.

After my error, I brought it in. Was told I was not on the list (may have been referring to key like you said) and that a whole bunch codes had been thrown.

They found nothing wrong and said it might be the heat here 110+ and said if it happens again to call them for the tow and not to turn the ignition off so they could see the orange screen.

They were stymied

Hope they won't be upset when I call from a few hundred miles away LOL

AJ
    ....AJ, What happens on the Spyders computers is permanent....BUDS can retrieve everything that has ever happened to your Spyder......EXAMPLE: at Spyderfest 2013 Danny a BRP tech pulled up 246 past codes ( NOT current active ). that were logged into the computer files.....MY dealer claimed they didn't exist either .........After confronting them about this and sending them to "Danny " ....I think they contacted BRP tech services and made the " DISCOVERY "...They fixed my paddle switch issue under warranty ( similar to SPYDR3 ).........Nothing that goes into computers really dis-appears.....noteven when you think you have DELETED IT ........Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree and understand that, but to say that several codes were thrown and not acknowledge a DESS?
    I hear you but trust my tech.
    If he said it was not there, I believe him.
    The reason to leave the key on is to ensure they see it in case it is not in BUDS.
    Additionally, if I leave the key on, I can bring up the code if one exists.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....AJ, What happens on the Spyders computers is permanent....BUDS can retrieve everything that has ever happened to your Spyder......EXAMPLE: at Spyderfest 2013 Danny a BRP tech pulled up 246 past codes ( NOT current active ). that were logged into the computer files.....MY dealer claimed they didn't exist either .........After confronting them about this and sending them to "Danny " ....I think they contacted BRP tech services and made the " DISCOVERY "...They fixed my paddle switch issue under warranty ( similar to SPYDR3 ).........Nothing that goes into computers really dis-appears.....noteven when you think you have DELETED IT ........Mike

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default POST # 31

I agree and understand that, but to say that several codes were thrown and not acknowledge a DESS?
    I hear you but trust my tech.
    If he said it was not there, I believe him.
    The reason to leave the key on is to ensure they see it in case it is not in BUDS.
    Additionally, if I leave the key on, I can bring up the code if one exists.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

AJ
    Mr. Paladin, before I posted #31 I gave it a lot of thought because I have read most if not all of your other POSTS here, But I took a chance and now realize it was a mistake and I can assure it won't happen again........Mike ....... Mr. Paladin and I have straightened this out via PM's...
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Thanks for the info. According to the BRP website and checking on the ProCaliber website, the DESS part number for the 2014 models (RT and RS) is 710004190. For 2015 it's 710004241. However, my original 2014 shop manual lists the DESS as 710003595. So perhaps the 4190 is the updated part. ProCaliber shows 3595 as crossed out and replaced by 4190. Please let us know when you get your bike back what the part number is for the "updated" DESS for your 2014. All of these parts list for $133.

Replacement is a five-minute job once you have the frunk off. That's the problem. No reprogramming is needed.
    I e-mailed this response to my dealer yesterday. I called them erlier and they didn't or couldn't give me an answer. As soon as they got the e-mail, they contacted brp and they said this is the fix for my problem.. Thank you to the spyderlovers forum my problem seems to be solved. I just love this forum and the advice they give freely. Thank you very much

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Add another one!!!

We had just started heading home from a 15 day vacation ride that included 14 states and 4749 miles and was with in 2 hours of Pittbull. My wife's 1024 RTL got the DESS Error with the orange screen and would not start. Tried several things and finally took the key and walked to a nearby restaurant for diner. After we got back to the hotel it started up. Call Len and took it in on Saturday and they said it had no codes stored in memory, so they reset the computers and has not happened since. Fingers are still crossed.....
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White