Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default michelin rear tire

Hello all-- I now have about 5200 miles on my 14 R S and need a new rear tire. I am thinking about a Michelin Defender 215 /60 R /15 for the replacement.
    Any thoughts --good / bad about this brand and model ? Any help would be a help, as I have ordered it and will be picking it up (?maybe ) this coming week.
    Thanks for your help !

Spyder Garage

I installed the Michelin Hydroedge which is the one the defender replaced. I love the tire. I have 10,000 miles on it with 2/32nd wear off the 10/32nd when new.
    The defender should do just as good as I think all they did was change the tread design.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Several people have reported that size of tire does not fit on a RS because it hits the fender. Depending on the variables on your specific Spyder maybe you will have enough room.

You have been listening to those RT people haven't you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Check the Michelin Primacy instead of the Defender. The thread is the difference. It's a very good tire. I have an HydroEdge in 215-60/R15 and it is like new after 15,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Default vee rubber

try a vee rubber arachnid I have 3600 on mine and it still looks new. Don't beleve the bull that people on this web try to feed. I got good tires and they are for the spyder not a car... cheeper than the stock and so far they're running better.
    Last edited by Gary; 06-14-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Michelin Defender

As my EX wife used to say-- " Boy that was quick "
    Thanks for the info and I will tell one and all how the Defender worked for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I installed the Michelin Hydroedge which is the one the defender replaced. I love the tire. I have 10,000 miles on it with 2/32nd wear off the 10/32nd when new.
    The defender should do just as good as I think all they did was change the tread design.
    Roger
    Thanks for the quick reply--- BUT my ?? is " Do you ever loss the Spyder in the snow ( all white ? )"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FENDER AND SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Several people have reported that size of tire does not fit on a RS because it hits the fender. Depending on the variables on your specific Spyder maybe you will have enough room.

......Even a 205/60 -15 is going to scrape the fender..........I had one and had to put small spacers on the fender ......Not a big deal, I had some 1/4 inch plastic ( the gray stuff ) plumbing tubing and made spacers from that......worked great........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm kind of new to Spyders ( not to motorcycles ) but I was hoping for a little more miles from the back tire. The Defender was $145.00 out the door. Seven months and a new tire--a little pricey, I think. I know I could have gone with a less pricey tire-- but --why. Maybe the Defender will last longer than 5200 miles. I can only pray. If I would take a trip back to Wisconsin, round trip would be about 5000 miles and I would be in the market for another tire.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've got 11,000+ on a Michelin Primacy and it isn't half worn yet.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Be aware that both the Defender and the Primacy have an asymmetric tread pattern. (Look at the pictures on tirerack.com.) Don't know if that's a concern for the Spyder or not - haven't seen that point discussed much here. But I think I would be looking for a symmetrical tread on a rear tire for the Spyder, since we are only mounting one at a time.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default TREAD PATTERN

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Be aware that both the Defender and the Primacy have an asymmetric tread pattern. (Look at the pictures on tirerack.com.) Don't know if that's a concern for the Spyder or not - haven't seen that point discussed much here. But I think I would be looking for a symmetrical tread on a rear tire for the Spyder, since we are only mounting one at a time.
    I highly doubt an " ASYMMETRICAL " tread pattern is going to generate any force on the Spyder's handling.....if the tire blocks were as large as as say on a tractor and only going in one direction I would say MAYBE YES.......But those on on a Defender or Primacy NO !!!!!.....But there are some here ( not robmorg ) who will tell you if your front tires are off by as much as 1/4 lb. your Spyder will handle like CRAP ............Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Roger
    I have one on my RT also. I can't give solid objective evidence but it seems to me like it likes to break loose on wet roads when starting out, more so than the Kenda did. So far that's been my only concern with the Hydroedge. Don't have any idea if the traction of the Defender and Primacy are stickier or not.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by olderman View Post
    Hello all-- I now have about 5200 miles on my 14 R S and need a new rear tire.
    Yikes! 5200 miles?!? is that all I can expect out of my OEM rear tire?

Pam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post

Pam
    RE: Rear tires.

2014 RT owners found a new rear tire set up. The came up with a stickier compound that did not last as long as previous versions. Many replaced their tires at about 5,000 miles. I got 8,900 out of mine.

Previous versions got me 15,000 miles plus. They now have a supposedly better compound for 2014 and up RT's. I have 6,000 on my new version of the tire and it still looks new.

Still have good tread on the fronts at 15,000 miles. Usually get 20K to 25K on those.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Pam
    For about a year or so BRP was distributing "soft composite" tires to maximize road gripping ability. I have one on my 2013 RT that needs replaced now at 7200 miles. They went back to the harder composite sometime in 2014, so your 2015 RT should get more mileage out of your OEM tire. Still, the Kendra tire is not known for it's long life, which is why there are so many threads here about mounting automotive tires.

Opps... I see akspyderman and I answered at the same time.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default PAM

Pam

I got the 14 r s in Nov. 2014 and have 5214 miles on the bike. I'm 72 years old and don't do any " hole shots " at the stop lights. I ride quite slow, but ride the canyons up above Ventura Ca. on highway 33 a lot. But not fast. I was kind of upset that I only got 5k miles out of the rear tire. Now I will be having a new tire put on this week and will keep track of the tread and miles , and give Spyderlovers a report every now and then.
    Love the bike but the cost to keep up on the maintain is quite $$.
    Remember " It's only money and a lot of fun." Enjoy the ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......Even a 205/60 -15 is going to scrape the fender..........I had one and had to put small spacers on the fender ......Not a big deal, I had some 1/4 inch plastic ( the gray stuff ) plumbing tubing and made spacers from that......worked great........Mike
    I'm sure not all tires are created equal in diameter, even in the same size range, but I'm running a 215/60-15 on the RS Sypder I'm borrowing and the tire isn't hitting the fender. So some will fit.
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
    Mine: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 09 DL650, 08 WR250R
    Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L
    Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

Spyder Garage

Default Michelin Hydroedge

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I have one on my RT also. I can't give solid objective evidence but it seems to me like it likes to break loose on wet roads when starting out, more so than the Kenda did. So far that's been my only concern with the Hydroedge. Don't have any idea if the traction of the Defender and Primacy are stickier or not.
    I have the Michelin Hydroedge also and I will say it wears like iron. But it hydroplanes REALLY BAD!! If I had it to do over again I would leave the stock tire on it. When I do decide to trade up I'm pretty sure I will stay with the stock tire. JMO.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    I have the Michelin Hydroedge also and I will say it wears like iron. But it hydroplanes REALLY BAD!!.....
    Have you tried dropping the tyre pressure a little??

One of the warning signs that your tyre pressure might be a touch too high is if it hydroplanes easily; so dropping a couple of psi might fix that!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Have you tried dropping the tyre pressure a little??

One of the warning signs that your tyre pressure might be a touch too high is if it hydroplanes easily; so dropping a couple of psi might fix that!!
    I only run 25lbs now. Scared to go much lower. I think it is the harder compound that gives better tread life but also doesn't grip the road as well with the light weight of the spyder. You live and learn. In a heavy downpour I can't drive but 45 or it will hydroplane. Before I go on another long trip I will be replacing the tire. With the stock tire I never had that problem until if was almost bald.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

25lbs isn't necessarily all that low, especially if you aren't getting any ride or handling issues normally associated with low tyre pressure; but, it is your call.

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    25lbs isn't necessarily all that low, especially if you aren't getting any ride or handling issues normally associated with low tyre pressure; but, it is your call.
    .....Remember, if you using a car tire that has the load capability for a 5000 lb car, the sidewalls are made far stiffer than the OEM kenda.....I have run my Michelin Hydro-edge as low as 12 lbs with no ill effects. ( this was for Drag Racing only ).....Lower your tire pressure to say 15 lbs. just to see what the sidewall looks like......I think it might surprise you........Mike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Roger
    I also put the Hydroedge on about 11,000 miles ago and the tire is hardly worn. Never had a slipping issue in the rain. Very good traction! I expect to get 30k out of this tire and I will go to the defender class when I switch.

Spyder Garage

I have a Michelin HydroEdge on my rear wheel. In the last 15,250 miles, I never experience hydroplanning with this tire. The tire look like new.

In heavy rain, don't go to fast or (with any tire brand) you will feel hydroplanning.