Spyder Garage

Default F3/F3S - Oil Change Instructions

Figured I would post these up, granted my version, but the F3 body is different so some special
    items will apply although it is still the 1330 engine.

Tools

T45 (For Left side Oil Plug)

M6 Hex (For Right side Oil Plug)
    T25 (For side panel bolts)
    Flathead screw driver (Pop the top panel pins)
    (??) Mystery wrench or large socket of choice that fits the oil filter top. I had
    a 36mm socket.

REMOVAL

1) Open Frunk and remove the front-center black cover. (Pull up on sides then backwards)

2) Remove top-right lateral panel (Use twist lock)
    3) Remove right engine panel. (3 top pins, 4-T25 bolts-two rear/two front)

4) Relocate brake reservoir. (Push up reservoir only to unlock, hold up and back, slide something

like a long screwdriver through the opening on its left side to prop it above the frame rail). If you
    look behind it there is a molded "T" section that holds it into its mount.

5) Tie a paper towel (etc) around the Oil Filter housing.
    6) Unscrew the dipstick but DO NOT REMOVE. (Keeps dust out)

7) Loosen Filter Cap fully (Do not remove yet. This will let the oil drain fully now. Oil may drip onto
    that nice towel you just put around the housing)

8) Remove LEFT SIDE oil plug with T45 (make sure it is fully seated)

9) Remove RIGHT SIDE oil plug with M6 Hex (make sure it is fully seated)

10) Let oil drain....a long long time. I did overnight.

11) Remove Oil Filter Housing Cap. By this time all the oil is out of the filter and housing.

(Here is why relocation of the reservoir was needed)
    12) Remove the Oil Filter. (Should be almost bone dry drained)

13) Place cotton towelette into filter housing. (Soak up the oil inside at the base)

14) If no more oil is dripping and the housing is dry inside.... Reverse it all.

REPLACE

R1) Insert Oil Filter
    R2) Replace Oil Housing with NEW o-rings
    R3) Replace both drain plugs with NEW o-rings (Left side), and proper washers. Aluminum on Left
    and Copper on right. Torque to 18lbs MAX!
    R4) Put brake reservoir back/down into its holding mount.
    R5) And this is key.... PUT IN DA OIL. (My F3S/SE6 took the 5.9qts easy...so what's a full 6 among friends!)

OTHER STUFF

I replaced every o-ring, crush washer, and obviously the filter that BajaRon sent, which should
    be what you get in the BRP kit. (Filter name is probably different). I torqued the oil-drain plugs

to 18lbs (THAT’S IT and all you need). The oil filter cap BE CAREFUL. This you bottom-out on snug
    and that is all it can/will go. There is no more...more, once at bottom. The large o-ring is the main
    seal for this. When replacing the side panels, again BE CAREFUL on those T25 bolts and just snug to base.

The left side plug has two o-rings and an the thin aluminum washer. The right side plug has a

copper washer and smaller in diameter. The filter housing has one large o-ring at the top, and
    two on the housing base stalk.

I also took the time to clean the engine while the panel was off... Makes it easier to identify
    any leaks or whatnot in the future knowing you had cleaned it.

Ran her about 10mins until I had at least 2 bars showing on the temp gauge, rechecked and the
    fill was spot-on!
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Except for the panel stuff, just like a '14 or '15 RT. Someone posted a suggestion that I found very useful when changing the O-rings on the oil sump plug. Wrap the threads with masking tape to protect the new O-rings. The threads on the plug ARE sharp.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Except for the panel stuff, just like a '14 or '15 RT. Someone posted a suggestion that I found very useful when changing the O-rings on the oil sump plug. Wrap the threads with masking tape to protect the new O-rings. The threads on the plug ARE sharp.
    On the RT... I the brake unit in the way to pull off the filter cap as-well?
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
    On the RT... I the brake unit in the way to pull off the filter cap as-well?
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I used a 36 mm socket with an extension and oil filter cap came right out. My Spyder is just like the picture on page 126 of the operator's guide. If the rag in the picture covered the parking brake cable it gave me no problem removing the filter cap. Once unscrewed I tilted the cap toward the arrow and out it came. Maybe something was rerouted a bit between our production runs.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I used a 36 mm socket with an extension and oil filter cap came right out. My Spyder is just like the picture on page 126 of the operator's guide. If the rag in the picture covered the parking brake cable it gave me no problem removing the filter cap. Once unscrewed I tilted the cap toward the arrow and out it came. Maybe something was rerouted a bit between our production runs.
    Bad spelling on my part...On the F3, for the cap to be removed, the brake reservoir is in the way for a
    straight or angled pull-out. (not enough room). The relocation of it allows that to happen. Or basically
    there is stuff on top in-the-way.

2008->
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Or basically
    Bummer! Guess we can't have everything on our fun machines. I'm afraid an F3 would really bring out the hooligan in me and the last thing the world needs is more hooligan geezers.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Bad spelling on my part...On the F3, for the cap to be removed, the brake reservoir is in the way for a
    straight or angled pull-out. (not enough room). The relocation of it allows that to happen. Or basically

There is no need to move the master cylinder or to remove the right lateral panel. The filter housing and cap can be removed from the side without removing any body panels and the master cylinder while a bit in the way will not prevent the filter cap from being removed. Once you do it a couple times you know where to snake the cap on its way out.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default first oil change questions

I just purchased a F3-S SM6. I am new to Can Am and new to this blog, so be nice to me. I have a grand total of 4 miles on my new bike.
    1. I have been advised to do the initial oil change at 1000 miles, a different guy at the dealer said 2000 miles. The manual says 3000 miles. What is the general opinion? I like the idea of 1000 miles, but the guy that said 2000 said it would need more time to break in, so wait till 2000.

2. Then the manual calls for the second change at about 9000 miles. I'm used to changing the oil every 5000 miles, but I have never used fully synthetic oil before, an opinion would be great.

I have purchased all the parts for the first 2 oil changes, now I just need some recommendations on when to do them.

Also, the SM6 only has 1 drain plug, right? (dumb question I know)

I hope I did this correctly.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dougkelsey View Post
    I just purchased a F3-S SM6. I am new to Can Am and new to this blog, so be nice to me. I have a grand total of 4 miles on my new bike.
    1. I have been advised to do the initial oil change at 1000 miles, a different guy at the dealer said 2000 miles. The manual says 3000 miles. What is the general opinion? I like the idea of 1000 miles, but the guy that said 2000 said it would need more time to break in, so wait till 2000.

2. Then the manual calls for the second change at about 9000 miles. I'm used to changing the oil every 5000 miles, but I have never used fully synthetic oil before, an opinion would be great.

I have purchased all the parts for the first 2 oil changes, now I just need some recommendations on when to do them.

Also, the SM6 only has 1 drain plug, right? (dumb question I know)

I hope I did this correctly.
    I had my first oil change for my new F3 at 3k miles. I will do all of my other on it unless a problem occurs. The reason I did that was so that they would have a record of it being done and they could check for any codes or problems. Keep really good records if you do your own. Some of us will send our oil off for analysis to make sure there is not abnormal wear. It is an early warning indicator of a problem. Good insurance for about $20. Buy them at Car Quest. You might read up on some of the older threads about oils and what we have found. Most of the consensus is to not go the 9300 miles between changes. Most do 4-5k. Good luck and congrats on the new ryde!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I had my first oil change for my new F3 at 3k miles. I will do all of my other on it unless a problem occurs. The reason I did that was so that they would have a record of it being done and they could check for any codes or problems. Keep really good records if you do your own. Some of us will send our oil off for analysis to make sure there is not abnormal wear. It is an early warning indicator of a problem. Good insurance for about $20. Buy them at Car Quest. You might read up on some of the older threads about oils and what we have found. Most of the consensus is to not go the 9300 miles between changes. Most do 4-5k. Good luck and congrats on the new ryde!
    Thanks, any other opinions out there? I think I'll do first at 1000 then second at 5000 then every 5000k. Also, should I just stick with the spider oil(full synthetic) or better to use the amsoil I have read about in this blog.

Spyder Garage

I once bought a big boxed ratcheting wrench needed to adjust the belt on a 2006 Road King Classic. I never used the wrench because the belt never needed adjusting. I put the tool in one of my tool boxes and left it there. I read on one of these threads you needed a 36mm boxed ratcheting wrench to get the oil filter cap off without removing side panels and moving the brake reservoir on a 2015 Spyder F3. Guess what?
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dougkelsey View Post
    Thanks, any other opinions out there? I think I'll do first at 1000 then second at 5000 then every 5000k. Also, should I just stick with the spider oil(full synthetic) or better to use the amsoil I have read about in this blog.
    This might help too. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/news/...-change-video/

Spyder Garage

Default changing oil

Figured I would post these up, granted my version, but the F3 body is different so some special
    items will apply although it is still the 1330 engine.

Tools

T45 (For Left side Oil Plug)

M6 Hex (For Right side Oil Plug)
    T25 (For side panel bolts)
    Flathead screw driver (Pop the top panel pins)
    (??) Mystery wrench or large socket of choice that fits the oil filter top. I had
    a 36mm socket.

REMOVAL

1) Open Frunk and remove the front-center black cover. (Pull up on sides then backwards)

2) Remove top-right lateral panel (Use twist lock)
    3) Remove right engine panel. (3 top pins, 4-T25 bolts-two rear/two front)

4) Relocate brake reservoir. (Push up reservoir only to unlock, hold up and back, slide something

like a long screwdriver through the opening on its left side to prop it above the frame rail). If you
    look behind it there is a molded "T" section that holds it into its mount.

5) Tie a paper towel (etc) around the Oil Filter housing.
    6) Unscrew the dipstick but DO NOT REMOVE. (Keeps dust out)

7) Loosen Filter Cap fully (Do not remove yet. This will let the oil drain fully now. Oil may drip onto
    that nice towel you just put around the housing)

8) Remove LEFT SIDE oil plug with T45 (make sure it is fully seated)

9) Remove RIGHT SIDE oil plug with M6 Hex (make sure it is fully seated)

10) Let oil drain....a long long time. I did overnight.

11) Remove Oil Filter Housing Cap. By this time all the oil is out of the filter and housing.

(Here is why relocation of the reservoir was needed)
    12) Remove the Oil Filter. (Should be almost bone dry drained)

13) Place cotton towelette into filter housing. (Soak up the oil inside at the base)

14) If no more oil is dripping and the housing is dry inside.... Reverse it all.

REPLACE

R1) Insert Oil Filter
    R2) Replace Oil Housing with NEW o-rings
    R3) Replace both drain plugs with NEW o-rings (Left side), and proper washers. Aluminum on Left
    and Copper on right. Torque to 18lbs MAX!
    R4) Put brake reservoir back/down into its holding mount.
    R5) And this is key.... PUT IN DA OIL. (My F3S/SE6 took the 5.9qts easy...so what's a full 6 among friends!)

OTHER STUFF

I replaced every o-ring, crush washer, and obviously the filter that BajaRon sent, which should
    be what you get in the BRP kit. (Filter name is probably different). I torqued the oil-drain plugs

to 18lbs (THAT’S IT and all you need). The oil filter cap BE CAREFUL. This you bottom-out on snug
    and that is all it can/will go. There is no more...more, once at bottom. The large o-ring is the main
    seal for this. When replacing the side panels, again BE CAREFUL on those T25 bolts and just snug to base.

The left side plug has two o-rings and an the thin aluminum washer. The right side plug has a

copper washer and smaller in diameter. The filter housing has one large o-ring at the top, and
    two on the housing base stalk.

I also took the time to clean the engine while the panel was off... Makes it easier to identify
    any leaks or whatnot in the future knowing you had cleaned it.

Ran her about 10mins until I had at least 2 bars showing on the temp gauge, rechecked and the
    fill was spot-on!
    when changing oil on an RT using these instructions, do you need to remove the mirrors? Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by modagwood View Post
    when changing oil on an RT using these instructions, do you need to remove the mirrors? Thank you
    On
    a 2014 or newer RT, yes you will need to remove the right side mirror to get the right side body panels off. The filter is behind them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Watch this video and you can save removing all of the right side body panels the manual says you need to.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Watch this video and you can save removing all of the right side body panels the manual says you need to.
    On an 1330 RT? There is no way to change the filter without removal of the right side panel.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Sorry, but I don't read that as ".....9300 between (oil) changes." I read it as to change it AT 9300 miles which is a 6300 mile interval.
    Last edited by deer30084; 01-18-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit