Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default really enjoying my mods

When I ran an inspection camera in the air box I missed seeing the second set of holes??
    Now that my O2 sensor has had some time to balance out fuel injection, (1,200 miles,) my current set up is really putting out nice performance across all usable rpm range.
    I have the CAT in place with the Two Brothers exhaust and an opened up air box. I do not currently use the Two Brothers restrictor tip and feel the sound is not too loud. There is this really cool Braaat pop between gears in the 3,500 rpm and up shifting. The pull and sound in the 4k to 6k rpm range is vastly improved over stock and great for highway passing. I notice sport bike owners turn their heads when they hear that unmistakable triple performance sound.
    Perhaps the reason I notice the new air intake noise is the majority of my holes are on the top? I definitely can hear an intake honk that was not there in the stock set up.
    I can really rip off some lower gears and get this boat up to the 85 mph range in a respectable time for its size. The ECU is drastically applying timing restriction in 5th and 6th gears to keep this bike close to a max 100 mph range. If the aftermarket steps up with an ECU reflash to fix this and address fuel mapping, I will be the first in line to get it done. This 1330 motor has as much potential as a Triumph triple if unleashed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    When I ran an inspection camera in the air box I missed seeing the second set of holes??
    Now that my O2 sensor has had some time to balance out fuel injection, (1,200 miles,) my current set up is really putting out nice performance across all usable rpm range.
    I have the CAT in place with the Two Brothers exhaust and an opened up air box. I do not currently use the Two Brothers restrictor tip and feel the sound is not too loud. There is this really cool Braaat pop between gears in the 3,500 rpm and up shifting. The pull and sound in the 4k to 6k rpm range is vastly improved over stock and great for highway passing. I notice sport bike owners turn their heads when they hear that unmistakable triple performance sound.
    Perhaps the reason I notice the new air intake noise is the majority of my holes are on the top? I definitely can hear an intake honk that was not there in the stock set up.
    I can really rip off some lower gears and get this boat up to the 85 mph range in a respectable time for its size. The ECU is drastically applying timing restriction in 5th and 6th gears to keep this bike close to a max 100 mph range. If the aftermarket steps up with an ECU reflash to fix this and address fuel mapping, I will be the first in line to get it done. This 1330 motor has as much potential as a Triumph triple if unleashed.
    Dennis, I am sure there is better performance. You mention hearing the intake noise, fair enough and with an intake, noise often means flow. Can you explain in detail, or better yet use the parts manual image and point to where the holes were added as you say on top. I have either missed the location you added holes on top or am confused about the exact location. My intake pipe flows a direct airflow to the filter.

In regards to the exhaust, my opinion and experience indicates that some form of restriction, but not overly restricted does well for driveability and torque. The comments you made about the exhaust setup make perfect sense. You are running an open style muffler, and the catalytic converter is helping or simply supplying minimal backpressure. Running the cat is also placing the point of backpressure closer to the exhaust valve, which may be providing a better tuned exhaust based on the exhaust pulse wave and the RPM you are turning your machine.

There is no doubt that our machine pulls hard in the 4k to 6k range. Sound wise is likely quieter than yours, but still sounds strong and is different than your average sportbike except for maybe the new recently introduced triples. In regards to acceleration, such as highway on ramps, or similar stuff, our setup will get up to speed with now time frames and holds you pinned into the seat. General cruising is a non issue.

So if possible, give me some additional guidance on exactly where these upper holes are you added.

Also Dennis, the first ride with the opened forward intake was not anything special, yesterdays long ride, probably had the engine computer dialing in the mixtures. Strong pull under acceleration, nice exhaust note again and the wicked off throttle after fire pops while decelerating.

Thanks
    PK
    Last edited by PMK; 07-04-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Paul if I recall correctly, originally when you posted about the CAT BYPASS pipe you weren't " all that impressed "......Now it appears the engine can BREATH better ( like what I did ) so you are feeling some benefit ????........JMHO.....Mike
    Mike there have been only a few people that did not enjoy the Lamonster / Pitbull bypass pipe. I am certainly not one of them and do not recall ever posting I was less than impressed. The Lamonster / Pitbull brand bypass pipe does several good things in my opinion. Takes off a bunch of weight, removes a lot of heat, and for us made the engine have a much more solid midrange pull. The bypass pipe is not inexpensive, but is a high quality part comparable to any high end race car part or even a high performance light aircraft exhaust system. The fabrication was done with proper mandrel style bends so there is no reduction in the exhaust pipe cross sectional area. All stainless steel, and well designed and built, almost sad it is hidden.

There have been posts from others commenting about other brand bypass pipes. They cost less but were not stainless and often fit poorly. Other have made their own by having a muffler shop bend the tubes. This may work, but the muffler shop equipment will not bend tubes without partially crushing them.

PK