Thread: ECONOMY

Spyder Garage

Default ECONOMY

Motorcycles have become much more economical in recent years. I was wondering what the F3 does to the gallon (US gallon is fine. I can convert) on a tour at, say between 60 and 90 mph average speed. Not using the Eco button.

Spyder Garage

On our freeways here in the Northwest (I-5 and I-84) I keep it around 70 - 80mph (spurts of over a 100). Highways to beach and mtns. around 60 - 65.
    I have been averging 35mpg.

Spyder Garage

Riding 2-up, a combination of highway (70-75ish) and mountains where you are pushing it more... 32-35 with a spurt of 37mpg once. I plan on 35 is the number.
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised it isn't more economical. It's only a 1330 cc engine in a relatively low state of tune propelling a vehicle that weighs a lot less than a 1300 cc car. The car would get more than that. Driven the way you two describe, my B-King would get at least 10 mpg (US ones) more.

EDIT: I've just noticed kaamacat was riding two-up. That would mean more fuel.

Spyder Garage

The average (scary word), seems to be 31 mpg for the 998 V Twin and 39 for the 1330 Triple.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE MAY BE DIFFERENT. Me--I am an average kind of person.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The average (scary word), seems to be 31 mpg for the 998 V Twin and 39 for the 1330 Triple.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE MAY BE DIFFERENT. Me--I am an average kind of person.

Getting better. I wonder if the manual ones are slightly more economical. Manual trans cars are always a fair bit more so than autos.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XB12X View Post
    Getting better. I wonder if the manual ones are slightly more economical. Manual trans cars are always a fair bit more so than autos.
    My first (2008) was a manual. Then bought a 2009 Semi Auto for the spouse--the mileage was pretty much the same. Maybe a mile per gallon--but not that noticeable.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT and get between 31-35

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

My first (2008) was a manual. Then bought a 2009 Semi Auto for the spouse--the mileage was pretty much the same. Maybe a mile per gallon--but not that noticeable.
    Given that you've ridden both the manual and the semi-auto, which do you prefer?

Spyder Garage

Given that you've ridden both the manual and the semi-auto, which do you prefer?
    Other than my 2008, all the 's I have owned have been the Semi Auto.

When I bought the 2008--they were so new that the SE was not yet available here.

I have much experience with manual on over 40 assorted two wheelers. Arthritic issues caused me to part with my Vulcan in 2012--it became very difficult to operate the clutch.

Your answer--I prefer SE. Still get to shift, but much more easier on the hand.

Pro/Con Cost about $1,500 more. A little more complicated than the manual. Bugs have been worked out--we hear very little about problems with the SE shifters.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Other than my 2008, all the 's I have owned have been the Semi Auto.

When I bought the 2008--they were so new that the SE was not yet available here.

I have much experience with manual on over 40 assorted two wheelers. Arthritic issues caused me to part with my Vulcan in 2012--it became very difficult to operate the clutch.

Your answer--I prefer SE. Still get to shift, but much more easier on the hand.

Pro/Con Cost about $1,500 more. A little more complicated than the manual. Bugs have been worked out--we hear very little about problems with the SE shifters.
    Thanks for that. I don't have any problems with the clutch movement, but who knows what's round the next corner? I'm intrigued with an auto box that lets you change gear. I assume it's a bit like the system on race bikes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

The 6 speed semi-auto box is a peach! It even changes down for you if are really lazy!!
    The changes are silky smooth and there's no need to roll back the throttle when changing.
    The paddle is super easy to use an only requires the lightest flick to change up/down!
    Also the electronics will not allow a down shift if it would result in the engine over-revving.
    Like wise you can't shift up if the opposite occurs. Neat!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    The 6 speed semi-auto box is a peach! It even changes down for you if are really lazy!!
    The changes are silky smooth and there's no need to roll back the throttle when changing.
    The paddle is super easy to use an only requires the lightest flick to change up/down!
    Also the electronics will not allow a down shift if it would result in the engine over-revving.
    Like wise you can't shift up if the opposite occurs. Neat!!
    Very neat, you've almost convinced me. Is your dealer good?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Very neat, you've almost convinced me. Is your dealer good?
    There are only two experienced dealers in the UK and I have to say that both of them are passionate about
    Spyders and know how to service correctly. I bought this bike from 158 Performance in Tallington near Stamford
    and the last one, an RS-S I bought from GS Jet Tech in S. Woodford which is a bit off the North Circular in E. London.
    I much prefer the longer ride up the A1(M) to 158 and absolutely detest the ride to GS! (A12 N.Circ. etc.)

Some pics here...: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-a-happy-bunny
    Last edited by OJ UK; 06-11-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    There are only two experienced dealers in the UK and I have to say that both of them are passionate about
    Spyders and know how to service correctly. I bought this bike from 158 Performance in Tallington near Stamford
    and the last one, an RS-S I bought from GS Jet Tech in S. Woodford which is a bit off the North Circular in E. London.
    I much prefer the longer ride up the A1(M) to 158 and absolutely detest the ride to GS! (A12 N.Circ. etc.)

Some pics here...: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-a-happy-bunny
    I used to live near Woodford. It's important that you have a dealer who is really knowledgeable. I used to have KTM Adventure and Bracken in South Bermonsey were brilliant. Sadly, they closed. The small dealers are always the best.

Spyder Garage

Default 39.1

THIS PAST WEEKEND, PAT (fispyder) AND I RODE "THE DIAMOND BACK"... 200+ miles to n from... up/down hills, twistees, hi-ways, fast n slow... and my F3-S got 39.1 mpg.... and never did i have the ECONO mode on...
    my RS never got better than 35 mpg.... the F3's are far better in every way than the V-twin older models....
    dp
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

I only look at the fuel when the light comes on. Until then it is 0-60 as quickly and as safely as possible

Spyder Garage

I'm getting 33-36 on my F3-s NOT in economy mode. I would expect a couple more in eco. Approx 1750 miles.
    I drive like my 350Z Nismo. Fast to speed, quick stop. (But always paying attention!!! )
    2015 F3-S , Can-Am Red (Orange)

Spyder Garage

Default Unfortunately. . . . . .

. . . . Economy isn't in any way, shape, or form a part of the F3.

I don't think I have ever heard any Spyder owner say, " I just fell in love with it, it is just so darn economical! "

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . Economy isn't in any way, shape, or form a part of the F3.

I don't think I have ever heard any Spyder owner say, " I just fell in love with it, it is just so darn economical! "

Tom
    And I didn't buy my Suzuki B-King with a view to economy, either. But then I found that when driven normally, as described by others above, the bike is actually surprisingly frugal. I suppose it's because it is so powerful you don't need more than part throttle to really fly. I certainly don't hang around on it. In Europe, petrol is far more expensive than in U.S.A., so economy is an issue. However, up to 39 mpg (US)/47 mpg (Imperial) isn't going to put me off.

Now, all I need is a dealership being set up somewhere in Portugal. I can't go back to England and buy one as I don't have an address there. Stacks of 'minor' countries have dealerships and sell these things, so maybe Portugal will follow suit. I certainly hope so. The F3S has everything I want from a bike. Performance, stability, handling and looks. It would be my only vehicle, and I would use it for long haul trips round Europe as well as locally. I'll wait with baited breath.
    Last edited by XB12X; 06-12-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

2015 rtsse6....i can shift at a lower rpm than my 12 rtsse5. 860 miles starting to get better mileage because I'm finding the se6 sweetspots. Day and night compared to the 998 high revver. 35 mpg 1st 800 miles,last tank 39.3 and not in eco mode. Premium fuel!!!