Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS Recall Complete - Initial Thoughts

I just had the recall work on my 2013 RTS completed at RideNow Powersports in Tucson yesterday. Mine is the 2nd recall they have completed so far. It sounds like the first one may have taken 8 hours or so, and mine around 6-7. It was an 8 mile ride home in 6:00 traffic; lots of stop and go, temperature around 90. Initial thoughts:
    • Ran fine, no issues whatsoever with performance
    • There seems to be a little more audible noise from the bike, but nothing bad. The Spyder has always seemed eerily quiet to me while running.
    • The Spyder had been fuming up bad at any stops and especially at the end of rides. No fumes detected during ride or parked in garage after ride. Huge improvement!
    • Before, there was lots of heat coming from front of seat, enough to roast the junk to medium well. No cooking of the privates on the ride home.

I will add further thoughts when I have taken longer rides. But, so far, so good!

Looks like the tupperware in front of the right side air scoop was imprinted by a screw or something. I did not notice it until I got home. I will let the dealer know and see what they have to say.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I think that the scoops look like they were really part of the initial design, not an afterthought. Of course, I might change my mind when I see them on my RT. I'll just have to wait and see.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That mark from a screw is a dang shame...
    Here's to hoping that the dealer does the right thing about it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Someone messed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike on a Trike View Post
    I just had the recall work on my 2013 RTS completed at RideNow Powersports in Tucson yesterday. Mine is the 2nd recall they have completed so far. It sounds like the first one may have taken 8 hours or so, and mine around 6-7. It was an 8 mile ride home in 6:00 traffic; lots of stop and go, temperature around 90. Initial thoughts:
    • Ran fine, no issues whatsoever with performance
    • There seems to be a little more audible noise from the bike, but nothing bad. The Spyder has always seemed eerily quiet to me while running.
    • The Spyder had been fuming up bad at any stops and especially at the end of rides. No fumes detected during ride or parked in garage after ride. Huge improvement!
    • Before, there was lots of heat coming from front of seat, enough to roast the junk to medium well. No cooking of the privates on the ride home.

I will add further thoughts when I have taken longer rides. But, so far, so good!

Looks like the tupperware in front of the right side air scoop was imprinted by a screw or something. I did not notice it until I got home. I will let the dealer know and see what they have to say.

Looks like dealer will have to order new panel.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Mine has a little ( ~1") scratch from the install too. Not as bad as yours as it runs parallel to the scoop. It was the first they did so it has to be a learning process to do the cut out I guess. I will get them to give me a bottle of touch up paint and that will solve my problem.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Looks like the guy "slipped" with the cutting tool they used to cut the holes in the panel for the scoops.
    They should probably mask off the area on the panel where they cut to prevent scratching of the paint.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

i am really surprised they let you go home w/o telling you
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i am really surprised they let you go home w/o telling you
    Seriously..from a BRP dealer? No way They didn't tell me either.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT LTD recall mods.

Just picked up my 2013 RT LTD after recall work for the heat related problems (heat in/on glove box, rightside panels, gas cap, and heat issues under seat) and the difference is night and day! None of the heat on any of the mentioned items. Rode home in 82-85 degree heat, 30+ miles on the highway, 55-75 mph. Body Panels and glove box actually felt cool to the touch. Engine temp gage never reached Mid-point on the scale. Got home raised the seat and everything under it was cool to the touch, removed gas cap, also cool, no boiling of fuel detected. This recall modification solves all the problems of heat in the engine compartment. the external mods look ok, scoop-like fixtures on both sides. Side note, I let the motor idle a few minutes,4-5, temp gage went to mid-point and heat from under could be felt, but not as intense as before mods.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the good preliminary report. The scratch--

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Still haven't been on a long ride since the recall work....pretty toasty in Arizona to ride other than early morning right now!

The good news is that the dealer thus far sounds like they are taking full responsibility for the scratch made during the air scoop installation. The service manager asked me to email a photo, and he said he is ordering a replacement panel. This is the same chain of dealers that I purchased from, but the first time I have been to this dealer due to a move. It is nice to know that they are taking care of it without a fight.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What happened with the scratch?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    What happened with the scratch?
    They have been very cool about it. I called the service manager after noticing it. He asked me to email photos. Apparently the mechanic didn't realize he had scratched it (it isn't huge; the photo of the scratch is really zoomed in). He told me he was ordering a new panel and will replace it (I didn't have to ask). Unsolicited, he called and left a voicemail last week to let me know he had not forgotten about me, was still waiting for the delivery of the panel. So, it is not repaired yet, but definitely sounds promising. I will update when I have resolution.