Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks on 2015 RT

Anyone swapped out original shocks for Elka shocks on their 2015? Was it worth it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I purchased a new RT Se6 2015 model in April this year
    I had the dealer replace the OEM shocks for Elkas front & rear

1 - There was no adjustment on the OEM ones At least I can set the suspension up to suit me and my style or riding

2 - had Elkas on my previous Spyder SE5 RT-S 2010 Model Like the way the Spyder handled and wanted this Spyder to be just as good which it is

I plan to keep this Spyder for sometime so I see it as a wise investment
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks

Elka and BajaRon anti-sway bar currently being install in 2015 RT-S
    will pick it up on Saturday

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck' here's hoping that you really dig the results!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks/BajaRon antisway bar

got 2015 RT-s back with BOTH Elka Stage 2 and the Bajaron anti-sway bar installed

Bike now
    -tracks thru turns (at posted Speed limits + 5-10) with out struggling with the pull to the outside (centrifugal?)
    (i.e. goes like a "bat-out-of-hell")
    -ride is smoother

Even the boss noticed a difference in the ride, and she pays NO attention to these kind of items

I could not tell which one (elka/swaybar) makes the most difference as they were installed a the same time

But it's together they make a BIG difference JMHO

Spyder Garage

Being able to adjust your shocks for your particular requirements can make a huge difference. Elka shocks are top notch, but for those wanting to accomplish that adjustability for much less money, you may want to give BajaRon's new shock adjusters a try. I was about ready to sink the money into a pair of Elkas when Ron's adjusters first came out. They made a huge difference for me. Not saying that Elka's aren't better, but this option saved me hundreds of dollars.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LSommers30066 View Post
    got 2015 RT-s back with BOTH Elka Stage 2 and the Bajaron anti-sway bar installed

Bike now
    -tracks thru turns (at posted Speed limits + 5-10) with out struggling with the pull to the outside (centrifugal?)
    (i.e. goes like a "bat-out-of-hell")
    -ride is smoother

Even the boss noticed a difference in the ride, and she pays NO attention to these kind of items

I could not tell which one (elka/swaybar) makes the most difference as they were installed a the same time

But it's together they make a BIG difference JMHO
    my guess is the swaybar!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    my guess is the swaybar!
    Actually, both can make a nice difference. I put on the beefier sway bar first, and then shock adjusters many months later. BOTH made a significant difference in the ride for me. Also, the larger you are, or the more weight you carry, the more you need both.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Actually, both can make a nice difference. I put on the beefier sway bar first, and then shock adjusters many months later. BOTH made a significant difference in the ride for me. Also, the larger you are, or the more weight you carry, the more you need both.
    This is the entire key to the lock. The machine is designed for the average rider weight. If you are not average size, either lighter or heavier it makes a difference.

The reality check is how good do you want the machine to be and / or handle? Springs support the weight, the dampers control. Springs come in all sorts of sizes and rates. As for preload, the adjustment to set the springs to control ride height, some shocks have them others do not.

Magic happens when the springs are well matched to the chassis and the rider.

When a spring is preloaded it can alter the ride height, it will never changes the springs rate. It will move the initial force and final bottoming force, but never change the rate.

In general terms, it is best to run the least preload and firmest spring, within reason to obtain the best handling and bump compliance. Soft springs that are over preloaded will often ride harsh and not control the vehicle well. It will be better than too little preload, but is certainly not optimum.

In regards to the front Elkas, these are simply a more advanced shock. Elka also may have decided upon different spring rates. Honestly I don't know. It is very nice to have clickers if you use them. The simple rebound clicker can stabilize the chassis a lot.

As for the swaybar, it too is a spring. As a spring it does not hold the bike up like the coilsprings. The swaybar serves as a link to control chassis roll. The firmer the bar, the flatter the chassis will corner.

So, in simple terms, the chassis and handling can be made to corner flatter with either firmer springs, more preload or a firmer swaybar.

You as the owner need to decide how far from the mythical average rider you are. In the end, the best target is to maintain the original ride height with this mythical rider, be it by adding preload or changing springs. If you riding style prefers a flatter cornering vehicle, opt in for the swaybar.

All the best in your choice.

PK

PK

Spyder Garage

I had the sway bar installed a couple of weeks ago and it made a significant difference. The Sypder corners much better and holds its line better with less side to side movement. Being a man of substance I am opting for the Elka Stage 2 shocks which will be installed on Tuesday along with a laser algnment. I hopefully will be in a good position to report back on the incremental improvements.

Cheers

Kevin
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

"A man of substance..." I'll have to remember that one. I take it you are NOT necessarily talking about monetary substance.

I think you should be happy with those Elka Stage 2's.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    "A man of substance..." I'll have to remember that one. I take it you are NOT necessarily talking about monetary substance.

I think you should be happy with those Elka Stage 2's.
    Better said...I am not what BRP considers a average sized rider and could benefit from the extra support. Monetary substance is all relative...we are all rich in the eyes of someone less fortunate........pass the beer!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Well said.