Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 Triple vs 998 Twin

Holy crap what a difference. Apples and oranges. I had a 2010 and a 2012 before the 2015. This thing is fast and smooth. I still do not care for the standard seat they put on these. First thing on my agenda is another Ultimate Seat with backrest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Holy crap what a difference. Apples and oranges. I had a 2010 and a 2012 before the 2015. This thing is fast and smooth. I still do not care for the standard seat they put on these. First thing on my agenda is another Ultimate Seat with backrest.
    on all your points. Had the 2010, and the 2011. Now the 2014. (Looks like I am one year behind on the last two.) Also agree on the seat issue. Have yet to be happy with any OEM seat--now replacing number five tomorrow. It will be my third BRP comfort seat this go around. The other two were Corbins.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to "Club 1330"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

glad you are enjoying the new ryde...agree you should farkle safety and comfort first...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Simple facts are the 1330 is not that great an improvement performance wise. Yes more low end torque but not much more HP nor over all torque. It is the other benefits that make it slightly better longer maintenance periods, better gas milage, better heat management, and hydraulic clutch. How did the 1330 do against the 998 in the spyderfest drags? I bet IF it won it is not by much. JMHO
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Dave,
    How are those sour grapes tasting??

Yes; it IS that big of a difference...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hey Dave,
    How are those sour grapes tasting??

Yes; it IS that big of a difference...
    Specs on HP and torque say different Bob. Better watch someone may come by with a pin and pop that head. Besides I know you would get spanked by an RSS all day long

Last edited by Magdave; 06-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're trying to base everything on dragstrip times...
    That's a VERY small percentage of how and where these bikes are ridden.
    Out in the Real World; the powerband just works better.
    You don't need to rev the engines up so high, you don't need to worry about the rpm levels in the SE transmissions, you get MUCH better mileage, the bikes run quieter and smoother...
    These are all just my personal impressions, and of course; open to interpretation...

Spyder Garage

I had a 2010, and a 2013, and now a 2014 RTS. I like not having the hotfoot, the smoothness and smother shifting over the twin. Performance wise, I was able to run them and about dead even. The 14 only has 1000 miles on it, so I hope it gets a little better mileage as it breaks in. Right now it's an extra 40 miles per tank over my 13.

Spyder Garage

You're trying to base everything on dragstrip times...
    That's a VERY small percentage of how and where these bikes are ridden.
    Out in the Real World; the powerband just works better.
    You don't need to rev the engines up so high, you don't need to worry about the rpm levels in the SE transmissions, you get MUCH better mileage, the bikes run quieter and smoother...
    These are all just my personal impressions, and of course; open to interpretation...
    And I said all that Bob but facts are performance wise there is very little difference but you had to drag your ego in and pump up some imaginary 1330 superiority. The 998 IS a high rev engine nothing wrong with that. I never worry about my Essie I ride it as it was made to ride. You saw the video, show me a bike like yours doing 101mph in the quarter mile. You ain't gonna find it.
    Fact is PERFORMANCE wise there is very little difference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found that my 2014 is a whole lot faster to 100 mph, than my 2010 was...

Spyder Garage

I found that my 2014 is a whole lot faster to 100 mph, than my 2010 was...
    Show me the time slips Just cause you say it doesn't make it so. Now a F3 vs RSS that I wanna see. My estimate on my RT to 100mph was 14-15 sec I have my wife to verify she was on the back. Will yours vouch for you or do you wanna say uncle?

Spyder Garage

So what did I miss? I have not seen anything where someone on an F3 went head to head with an RSS or even an RT with the 1330 going against the 998.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    So what did I miss? I have not seen anything where someone on an F3 went head to head with an RSS or even an RT with the 1330 going against the 998.
    You are correct I wanna see it myself. I suspect the 1330 owners are worried about what may happen

Spyder Garage

Not to pile on Dave, but if each 998 owner sent me the dollars he paid the dealer just to do his valve adjustment service(s) I could probably have a great party.

I didn't want a dragster, but that's a whole other topic.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Not to pile on Dave, but if each 998 owner sent me the dollars he paid the dealer just to do his valve adjustment service(s) I could probably have a great party.

I didn't want a dragster, but that's a whole other topic.
    I ain't gettin' no valves adjusted unless I hear them tapping. With the recall done that should be pretty easy now. I never said the 1330 wasn't a better overall package but when someone pees in my Wheaties I am gonna point out the facts. Lets see what happens with the 1330s that go the full distance on oil changes. I will take that bet those engine will be toast long before a 998 that is cared for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    You are correct I wanna see it myself. I suspect the 1330 owners are worried about what may happen
    I am not worried nor do I care if it should happen that the RS-S is a bit faster than my F3. I was just commenting on the fact that there does not seem to be any evidence either way.

Didn't trade my RS in for the F3 expecting it to be faster. I traded the RS in because of all the things that Bob said plus the riding position and handling of the F3.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Show me the time slips Just cause you say it doesn't make it so.
    Oh! There's no time slips for these runs...
    I would just take each bike up to an indicated 95 mph, and then get serous about seeing how quick it could climb to the ton...
    The 2010 kind of "crawled it's way up to it... It was a very leisurely pace, and it was just about done when it got there... I maxxed it out once at 101 mph.
    The 2014 just sort of went "one.. two.. three", and it was there. It then got to 101, and had a lot more left.
    (A lot more than I ever want to have to use! )

Spyder Garage

Default Did BRP Demo Ride Today, and...

I did a duel BRP demo ride today. The BRP truck was in Allentown, PA - not far from me. (Pictures attached.) They weren't crowded, so I went twice - once on a 2015 RT Ltd., and the other ride on an F3-S, both with the SE6 trans. The rides were long enough, and fast enough, to get some decent impressions. So here are my very recent impressions on this issue....

The 1330 engine does make a difference on the RT, but IMHO the difference is not as dramatic as some folks would have us believe. Yes, it is quieter than my 998, but I wouldn't say it is noticeably more powerful. It does have a little more low-end torque, but again the difference is not all that noticeable from my 2013 RT, AFTER I removed the cat. The "quietness" comes from the lower RPM's I think. I immediately felt comfortable staying at 3000 RPM's, rather than 5000. The lower RPM's are nice, but then I don't mind the high RPM's on the 998 engine at all. It's just a matter of what you get used to.

Now the SE6 transmission is another story. It is VERY different than the SE5 on the 998. The transmission and hydraulic clutch is noticeably smoother. This to me was the biggest improvement - other than the lack of excess heat, of course.

However, once I got on that F3-S, I began to REALLY appreciate that 1330 engine. MUCH more torque there. It just wants to take off. And again the transmission was very smooth on the F3. I've ridden F3's with BOTH transmissions now, and have been equally impressed with the smoothness of both - though I have a strong preference for the semi-automatic, but that's just me. I wasn't as comfortable on the F3 as I was on the RT. I like the forward foot position, but the body panels hit my knees in an awkward place. However the F3 was loads of FUN to ride - all that torque, plus the greater sensation of speed on the smaller bike without the large windshield. I can see why folks here rave about them once they buy one.

But the bottom line on the 998/1330 comparison for the RT.... The 1330 is better - especially the transmission - but certainly NOT enough difference to make me want to trade in my 2013 RTL for one. As for the "heat thing", I think that between what I've already done, and the results that folks are already starting to report after the recall, I'm fairly sure the heat won't be an issue for me any longer. (I'm very glad I didn't trade my 2013 up to a 2014/15 and take that monetary loss.) That's my impression - obviously others may disagree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-09-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the honest assessment!
    And remember: "Torque, is what gets the cap off your beer."

Spyder Garage

Default Happy

after reading all of these posts I am glad I made the decision to keep my 2012 RT for a while longer.

I had an '11 RT SM and went to a '12 RT Ltd with plans to go to a '14 RT. The lack of attractive color selections held me back and the '15's colors were not any better.

the engine/transmission combo still has me interested in a 1330 RT but I'll wait until they can get some color combos that rival the Harley's before I make a move.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

But it's more than just color choices. Other than the new engine and transmission (and floor boards), the design of the RT has not really changed all that much since they were first introduced in 2010 - six model years ago. As was mentioned in another recent thread, it is time, I think, for some major design updates on the RT. That's what may get me to buy a new one.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    after reading all of these posts I am glad I made the decision to keep my 2012 RT for a while longer.

I had an '11 RT SM and went to a '12 RT Ltd with plans to go to a '14 RT. The lack of attractive color selections held me back and the '15's colors were not any better.

the engine/transmission combo still has me interested in a 1330 RT but I'll wait until they can get some color combos that rival the Harley's before I make a move.

Just curious. Have you actually ridden a 1330? I would never go back to the 998 after riding the 1330. Just the transmission alone is worth it. No more being stuck between gears with in town riding. And at highway speeds on the 998 the 5th gear was not friendly. No acceleration when needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just curious. Have you actually ridden a 1330? I would never go back to the 998 after riding the 1330. Just the transmission alone is worth it. No more being stuck between gears with in town riding. And at highway speeds on the 998 the 5th gear was not friendly. No acceleration when needed.
    I have. And personally I'll stick with the 998. But then again I've never liked the se transmissions either. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I have ridden spyders with the 1330 engine on 4 or 5 occasions, now. As I said above, while the SE6 transmission is indeed better, I wouldn't trade up for that reason alone. I have not experienced the problems you mentioned with my 2013 RT with either slower in-town riding, or on the interstate.

But for anyone with enough spare cash to trade up to a 1330, I'd say "Go for it". There are some nice improvements for sure. For anyone who's on a budget, and already has a 998, l'd say there's nothing wrong with holding onto it for a while longer. Spyders do seem to get better with every new model year.
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-10-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link