Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Touring Hydration System

I've had a few people ask me to post a photo of my 1 Gallon Hydration system on the Spyder. 1 Gallon of whatever you want and stays cool. No need to wear a camelback anymore.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433570577.524725.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
    I've had a few people ask me to post a photo of my 1 Gallon Hydration system on the Spyder. 1 Gallon of whatever you want and stays cool. No need to wear a camelback anymore.

Sure beats those "sissy" cup holders the Gold Wing guys have!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post

First, !!

And . . . Wow . . . 1 gal of cool beverage! Good idea!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Very impressed.

PK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sucks if anyone ever has to ride with you.

Bill C.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think i'll get one of those... I hydrate before starting a ride... and when ever I stop for gas ..my spyder only goes about 160 miles before the fuel gauge is close to empty, then I re-hydrate again... besides every 2 hours or so .. its time to stop, stretch & let the blood get back in my hind side..

osm
    Last edited by Orange Spyder Man; 06-06-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Impressive, functional, practical and relatively inexpensive. Thanks for "Thinking outside the box" and giving the rest of us a great idea for those long solo rides.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

cool

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

with a backrest like that a camelpack is got to be uncomfortable. Great solution.. your right on its being for touring though...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WAY cool!!
    As long as you've got enough suction, to draw the drink all of the way up to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really like it, I would just have to stop more to pee.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nah... You take a length of hose, and...

I wonder if this technology could be adapted to a motorcycle helmet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-06-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the compliments. I really appreciate it. This Hydration system started with my Commute that I do from St. George, UT to Los Angeles for work. When I ride my motorcycle I would typically wear a camelback. Well after wearing a camelback for 6hrs it's gets cumbersome and very hot. It rides either inside my jacket or on to and didn't allow air to flow through. It was ok but was a pain to take off and refill and didn't carry enough water for the desert heat and keep it cold. Also tried the bladder in my tank bag but that was much smaller and also that's where I keep all my electronics so I never liked that either.

So I had seen another system where a guy took a cooking pot and bolted it to the rear passenger peg and put a half gallon cooler in it and strapped it down. I decided since my wife is a great seamstress she could make a bag for the jug that would Velcro to the pegs and strap around the top and connect at the top also for added security. My wife had been looking for a job with no success. She wanted a part time job because she felt bad taking a full time position from a single Mom that really needed a job. She just wanted a little extra cash do do some things she enjoys. I came up with a design with her help and she has been making these and selling them. She enjoys making these and it's been fun for her to have people compliment her on her sewing skills. Haha

People ask about sucking water from the cooler to there mouth and I just tell them that if you can drink from a camelback you can drink from this. It's super easy. I'd say basically effortless.

I've had some people say the best part of this entire system is when they get to there camping destination having water to cook or clean. Walk over to the water spigot and fill it up and carry it back. It really is a very easy system to work with. Once the bag is attached to the bike it is left there. Undo 2 buckles and the jug lifts out. Less than 3 seconds easy.

Yes this won't work for 2 up riding unfortunately but for those of you that tour by yourself you will find it to be Amazing. Also if you constantly sip every 15 minutes or so you will find you don't have to pee all the time. The people that need to pee all the time are the ones who stop and think drinking a 32oz drink while they fuel up is the best way to do it. Your bladder can't hold that much fluid and you "Will" have to pee. Haha

Anyways. Thanks for the compliments. I'll show this thread to my wife. It will make her smile.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I don't think i'll get one of those... I hydrate before starting a ride... and when ever I stop for gas ..my spyder only goes about 160 miles before the fuel gauge is close to empty, then I re-hydrate again... besides every 2 hours or so .. its time to stop, stretch & let the blood get back in my hind side..

osm
    Stop. You're making too much sense.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-06-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like it except that I don't have floorboards and I like to put my feet on the passenger pegs every once in a while for a change of position. But this could be mounted on the passenger seat also. I wear a Camelbak and like Chupaca said, it is not comfortable with a backrest.

Have you met any of the other riders from St. George? They have a great group of Spyder Ryders of America (Southern Utah Chapter) folks up there. If you are interested in getting more info on their group send me a PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

cool idea, but does it bounce around at all
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if it'd be possible to mount it in the top trunk?
    You'd need more tubing, and w way to get it out of the trunk with the lid closed...

Spyder Garage

Could just install the luggage rack for on top of the rear trunk and put it there. Then both passenger and rider could share it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Touring Hydration System

Where there's a will there a way. You can mount it about anywhere. I wouldn't want to put a hole in a trunk though.

No it doesn't bounce around. The bottom of the bag is velcroed to the floorboard and then one of the top stars is wrapped around the helmet hook under the seat. The other strap is looped through the rear passenger grab handle. Works best on the left side of the Spyder because of the seat controls on the right grab handle.

If any of you have addition questions please feel free to contact me at lacofdfireman@yahoo.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lacofdfireman; 06-06-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Now that's the way to hydrate. I would be in trouble with all that liquid on board.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

How do you snake the tube into your helmet? Do you use a Camelbak-like bite piece?

I'd kill to be able to rehydrate on my bike. My problem is that I have a long-oval head that requires an Arai helmet (and their long-oval line comes only in a full-face model), and they make those so snug-fitting, with a chin air-dam for quiet, that I can't get anything into the helmet, at least not without stopping and partly lifting the helmet.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use a full face helmet. The system comes with a camelback bite valve. I've experimented with a few different bite valves like the 90 degree angle ones etc but I like the straight silicone ones because they fit between my mouth and helmet chin bar better. I wear an HJC and don't have much space either. They are silicone so once you get it into your mouth it flexes into the right position. Works for me.

Spyder Garage

Default Camelback Location Option

I hang my Camelpack from the left handle bar on my Spyder RT. I bought about 18 inches of tubing and a connector from REI so I can drink from the pack while riding. Works quite well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If anyone's interested in the System my wife sells its $75 for everything but the 1 gallon cooler. The 1 gallon coolers are available at Walmart for $8 but would cost me $20 to ship it that why it's not included. It a great system and for the price you can't go wrong. It comes with the Bag for the cooler in Black, Red or Grey and 2 straps to secure the bag to the bike. Also includes the Hydration tubing and a retractable lanyard for the drink tubing. You can hook it to yourself or to the bike to keep the tube from flailing around. If you want one email me at lacofdfireman@yahoo.com and tell me the color and that's it's for a CanAm. She has to make those different because of the passenger floorboards.
    PayPal the money to my above email address. You won't be disappointed. It's super handy and easy to drink from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk