Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 12v + USB on Dash

A Spyder friend asked me to come up with a way to get 12v and USB power to the dash without replacing the analog gauges. As usual it took me a while to sort it out but I'm happy with the result. I have a few in stock and more on order. It comes complete ready to bolt to the Dash Mount Bar. It has 5' of wire with an inline fuse and waterproof covers for the power sockets. For the 2010-2012 RT I'll add enough wire to reach the rear mounted battery.

This is the prototype mounted to my RT. The production version mounting bar is satin black powder coated and uses a SS Torx screw with a SS cap nut.

JT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jthornton; 06-05-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: change scale on photo

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Nice work as always JT

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like..!!

another fine product from JT's shop...the satin black and torx will clean it up nicely...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks

Spyder Garage

JT, any thoughts/plans to expand into RS territory??? I know there are not as many of us as the RT brethren; but your products are top notch and sensibly priced. Would love to see a mount bar at the least for the RS crowd!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I think I want this but am not sure of my abilities to connect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    JT, any thoughts/plans to expand into RS territory??? I know there are not as many of us as the RT brethren; but your products are top notch and sensibly priced. Would love to see a mount bar at the least for the RS crowd!!
    The number of RS riders is not a factor, I just haven't figured out where to bolt something to on the RS. I would love to make a Dash Bar for the RS even if I only made one.

I see you have a trailer hitch, is it the same trailer hitch that the RT has?

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donkes View Post
    I think I want this but am not sure of my abilities to connect.
    Looking at the Spyders to the Rescue database and there are 8 listed in VA, one of them may be able to help you.

JT

Spyder Garage

Way to go JT. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    The number of RS riders is not a factor, I just haven't figured out where to bolt something to on the RS. I would love to make a Dash Bar for the RS even if I only made one.

I see you have a trailer hitch, is it the same trailer hitch that the RT has?

JT
    it's an aftermarket hitch, to my eye and way of thinking it's an equivalent hitch to BRP's $500+ unit.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default YUP, ME 2

be careful when ordering, there are 2 versions, a 1 and a 2 USB port unit... i have the 2 port version... here is the website:
    http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-mo...-1a|3705869254
    dp

Spyder Garage

Looks good Dan

Spyder Garage

A Spyder friend asked me to come up with a way to get 12v and USB power to the dash without replacing the analog gauges. As usual it took me a while to sort it out but I'm happy with the result. I have a few in stock and more on order. It comes complete ready to bolt to the Dash Mount Bar. It has 5' of wire with an inline fuse and waterproof covers for the power sockets. For the 2010-2012 RT I'll add enough wire to reach the rear mounted battery.

JT
    where do you have it wired to on maybe a '14 RTs?

I just 'discovered' the 'hidden' 12v harness in the frunk & was just going to put a 12v lighter socket into it....adding a 5v & mounting it on your most wonderful dash mount would be MUCH more elegant....

Mike

2014 Spyder RT-S, Black on black, no mods (unless you count the BRP backrest!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frelancr View Post

I just 'discovered' the 'hidden' 12v harness in the frunk & was just going to put a 12v lighter socket into it....adding a 5v & mounting it on your most wonderful dash mount would be MUCH more elegant....

Mike
    Where is the hidden plug in the Frunk? I have yet to find it.

Spyder Garage

Mike
    The wires are long enough to go all the way to the battery but you could cut them off and connect them where you like. What connectors are on the hidden 12v harness in the front trunk?

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk Power

The wires are long enough to go all the way to the battery but you could cut them off and connect them where you like. What connectors are on the hidden 12v harness in the front trunk?

JT
    these are behind a rubber hole cover to the port side rear of the frunk...looks like it wants a male spade

M

Spyder Garage

these are behind a rubber hole cover to the port side rear of the frunk...looks like it wants a male spade
    The end connectors could be changed for male spade connectors no problem.

JT

Spyder Garage

Unhappy ????

Well---- I had to look?
    Found the rubber plug/cover but no loose wires benind it?? There was a plug with wires in it though-- but what is it for??

But, as one thing always leads to another, I found the negative cable hard on to the positive terminal of the batt. The + terminal didn't have the red cover on it ( it was further up the cable). Fixed that but no wires to hook an accessory up to.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

JT – Nice product. I just checked the specs on your webpage but I did not see the current (amps) going to both connections. Is the USB a dual port? I currently use your products for my GoPro and iPhone 6 and it would be great if I could have both devices plugged in via USB.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmurray View Post
    JT – Nice product. I just checked the specs on your webpage but I did not see the current (amps) going to both connections. Is the USB a dual port? I currently use your products for my GoPro and iPhone 6 and it would be great if I could have both devices plugged in via USB.
    The ones I have now are single USB and rated at 12v @ 10 amp and 5v at 2.1 amp. I have some dual USB on order but they take forever to show up sometimes.

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 06-07-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 12v tap in frunk

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Well---- I had to look?
    Found the rubber plug/cover but no loose wires benind it?? There was a plug with wires in it though-- but what is it for??

But, as one thing always leads to another, I found the negative cable hard on to the positive terminal of the batt. The + terminal didn't have the red cover on it ( it was further up the cable). Fixed that but no wires to hook an accessory up to.
    pull out the plug & tucked inside are those wires with those female paddle connectors on them...covered in vasoline or something....

fired up the Spyder & put a meter on it...the BLACK one reads 12v+

dug up a female cig lighter socket & crimped on some paddle terminals I had (kinda convenient being an electronics packrat sometimes) & used it to run my GPS all day today (YAY!) with the wire coming up out of the frunk & under the windshield to the GPS....which is jammed into the X-clamp from JT on his mount

there actually IS an OEM socket for this...
    http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-2194003...s=p_4%3ACan-Am

supposedly they're cheaper on ebay....I just haven't looked very hard

M

Spyder Garage

Got the Dual USB + 12v in stock... but the mount is different so I have to design a new mount for that one.

JT

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I'll look deeper!!

Thanks frelancr,

I'll look deeper this time. I just added a 12v socket to the side of the pillon seat next to the grablhandles.(there is a removeable plug with nothing behind it. I milled it out to fit a 12v socket, ran wires to the trunk and a 12v plug to go into the existing socket. Now my wife can plug in her Garmin easily. I don't care for it on the dash.

To much stuff on the dash causes me::
    Kaos

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up other 12v socket installed

Thanks to frelancr I also installed a 12v socket in the frunk. Easy enough to do once the "hood" and battery were removed. Removed a small amount of the battery access opening ( at the lower corners) and the battery comes out easily. I used a socket with two mail spade lugs and it's plug and play.

Thanks again frelancr!!

Kaos