Spyder Garage

Default Spyders doing track days

I wonder if the Spyders' handling characteristics are inline with doing track days.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's been talk about this for years; I don't think that anything substantive has developed just yet...
    DrewNJ took his to the track to play. He spent a lot of time, figuring out how to "disconnect" Nanny from a day of fun...
    You might want to PM him about his experiences...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Track days...

Missed three of them. Here they are known as "need for speed days" held in Riverside. Hope to go to the next one. Lou over at Pirate Powersports organizes them.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Rockerbox Motofest and AHRMA Vintage Motorcycle Racing

Are track days & need for speed days terms to run spyder on certified tracks? Our local dragaway has numerous track days throught the week. Also, this weekend I'm again heading to Rockerbox Motofest and AHRMA Vintage Motorcycle Racing @ Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. Get to race throughout the weekend on the 14 mile track. Below is the track and here is a link for the schedule http://www.roadamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/ROCKERBOX_MOTOFEST_AS_OF_6-3-15.pdf
    It is a blast. Anybody going?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by figmotoday; 06-04-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=figmotoday;987280]Are track days & need for speed days terms to run spyder on certified tracks? Our local dragaway has numerous track days throught the week. Also, this weekend I'm again heading to Rockerbox Motofest and AHRMA Vintage Motorcycle Racing @ Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. Get to race throughout the weekend on the 14 mile track. Below is the track and here is a link for the schedule http://www.roadamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/ROCKERBOX_MOTOFEST_AS_OF_6-3-15.pdf

Sweet, let us know your lap times and what you're running it with!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=IGETAROUND;987334]
    Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    Are track days & need for speed days terms to run spyder on certified tracks? Our local dragaway has numerous track days throught the week. Also, this weekend I'm again heading to Rockerbox Motofest and AHRMA Vintage Motorcycle Racing @ Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. Get to race throughout the weekend on the 14 mile track. Below is the track and here is a link for the schedule http://www.roadamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/ROCKERBOX_MOTOFEST_AS_OF_6-3-15.pdf

Will do IGETAROUND. I typed the length wrong, it is a 4 mile track with 14 turns.

As last year, I get training & practice all weekend & race throughout the weekend. Organizers debate as my class & it always ends up ambiguous lol......

At Great Lakes Dragaway, my best is 1/4 is 13.86 @ 96.45 mph, see slip below. Still slow but working on reaction times & getting out of the first 60 feet with minimal slippage. I run a stock 2012 RS SE5 with power rating of: 106 hp (79 KW) @ 8500 RPM & torque rating of 77 lb.-ft. (104 Nm) @ 6250 RPM. Running weekly @ dragaway helps skill building for track running. I've run 2 wheels for years but 3 wheels play differently & SE5 improves my performance.

My RS mods: cold air intake piped in from front end left and right openings & air ran directly to JT Air Filter system; spyder 1 attitude exhaust; BAJARON NGKIridium spark plugs and wires; BAJARON swar bar; norm's laser alignment, and Spyderpops missing belt guard. 15lbs of air in back tire, very little 93 non alcohol fuel, and twist smooth and fast when the last yellow light comes on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=IGETAROUND;987334]

I didn't get lap times, bummer................a bunch of us just rode the 4 mile track before & after the pros took over the track
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=figmotoday;987390]
    Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post

Will do IGETAROUND. I typed the length wrong, it is a 4 mile track with 14 turns.

As last year, I get training & practice all weekend & race throughout the weekend. Organizers debate as my class & it always ends up ambiguous lol......

At Great Lakes Dragaway, my best is 1/4 is 13.86 @ 96.45 mph, see slip below. Still slow but working on reaction times & getting out of the first 60 feet with minimal slippage. I run a stock 2012 RS SE5 with power rating of: 106 hp (79 KW) @ 8500 RPM & torque rating of 77 lb.-ft. (104 Nm) @ 6250 RPM. Running weekly @ dragaway helps skill building for track running. I've run 2 wheels for years but 3 wheels play differently & SE5 improves my performance.

My RS mods: cold air intake piped in from front end left and right openings & air ran directly to JT Air Filter system; spyder 1 attitude exhaust; BAJARON NGKIridium spark plugs and wires; BAJARON swar bar; norm's laser alignment, and Spyderpops missing belt guard. 15lbs of air in back tire, very little 93 non alcohol fuel, and twist smooth and fast when the last yellow light comes on.

So do you ride along with the 2 wheelers? I live in Illinois around Chicago. How do I get involved in track days? One thing that is nice, is I can just ride there. With two wheels, one typically needs a trailer.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Rogue Hawk;1000662]

So do you ride along with the 2 wheelers? I live in Illinois around Chicago. How do I get involved in track days? One thing that is nice, is I can just ride there. With two wheels, one typically needs a trailer.
    Cool Rogue Hawk, I'm north of chitown. Yip, rode along with the 2 wheelers.

When I show up for bike rallies, track days, drag strip, charity rides, etc., organizers are cool about me joining but they are typically confused about my category. Last year & this year, I put my 2012 in the bike show @ motoblot in chitown https://www.facebook.com/motoblot & they were cool and confused about category, so I ended up being "foreign other" lol. I enter my 2012 because I get free motoblot rally entrance & free/easy chitown parking, which is - as you know - extremely expensive and hard to find lol.

If you are up for it, we could ride to drag strip @ http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/. I ride to this drag strip on weekdays or weekends, depending on the track schedule. For a few bucks to race, you get entrance & parking & you can run as many times as you want. OR ride to track days @ http://www.roadamerica.com/. I'm not sure about the next track day date @ road america. I camped @ road america the first weekend in June for rockerbox rally & AHRMA vintage racing & was able to ride my 2012 on the track that weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

What the heck was in the right lane? 333.33 mph?
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    What the heck was in the right lane? 333.33 mph?
    lol, no doubt, I wondered that when I saw my slip

I think it was a slingshot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=figmotoday;1000700]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post

Cool Rogue Hawk, I'm north of chitown. Yip, rode along with the 2 wheelers.

When I show up for bike rallies, track days, drag strip, charity rides, etc., organizers are cool about me joining but they are typically confused about my category. Last year & this year, I put my 2012 in the bike show @ motoblot in chitown https://www.facebook.com/motoblot & they were cool and confused about category, so I ended up being "foreign other" lol. I enter my 2012 because I get free motoblot rally entrance & free/easy chitown parking, which is - as you know - extremely expensive and hard to find lol.

If you are up for it, we could ride to drag strip @ http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/. I ride to this drag strip on weekdays or weekends, depending on the track schedule. For a few bucks to race, you get entrance & parking & you can run as many times as you want. OR ride to track days @ http://www.roadamerica.com/. I'm not sure about the next track day date @ road america. I camped @ road america the first weekend in June for rockerbox rally & AHRMA vintage racing & was able to ride my 2012 on the track that weekend.

Thanks for the info. I don't see on the Great Lakes site how to sign up. I looked at there schedule, the nights you race, are they called "Fun Racing" on the calendar?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Rogue Hawk;1000746]

Thanks for the info. I don't see on the Great Lakes site how to sign up. I looked at there schedule, the nights you race, are they called "Fun Racing" on the calendar?
    No need to sign up ahead of time. I just call the day I want to go to make sure they are open since they may close because of weather & check on schedule changes. When you get to the track the owner and the staff are very helpful & cool. I just roll up to the front gate & pay & head to tech shack & get equipment/machine checked out. Here is their FAQ that explains the steps to race.

http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/index.php?page=faq

You can open race any day/night except when they have scheduled racing. For example, on the July 2015 calendar below, you can race on the green days, even on "slicks only" days.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

lol, no doubt, I wondered that when I saw my slip

I think it was a slingshot
    It went past you so fast you did not even see it
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap