Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My first ride, and question about the Baja Ron sway bar

We picked up our new Spyder RT-S Special Series yesterday at a dealership 140 miles from home. We could have hopped on the freeway to come home, but instead decided to put her to the test. We took an out of the way scenic route home, going up into the high country onto some of our favorite twistie roads. I just love the way she handles the curves, and she has plenty of get up and go. Our only concern was that wierd swaying feeling. Sara was on the back seat, and she said it felt like we were on a boat at times. I remember reading some posts about the Baja Ron sway bar, with many people saying this should be the first mod. I didn't pay much attention to those posts, but now that I have ridden the Spyder, I think I get it.

So will the sway bar eliminate that wierd "boat" sensation? If so, I will order one post haste.

Also, are they very difficult to install? I like to do my own work whenever possible.

Thanks!

Pam

Spyder Garage

The BajaRon bar will eliminate the floating sensation when cornering. Money very well spent.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

My wife rode the RT once without the Baja Ron swaybar and would not ride again. She said it felt like she was going to get launched off in the curves. Remember the passenger sits higher and will feel the roll more than the driver. Night and Day difference.

JT

Spyder Garage

What they said.

And if you are comfortable turning a wrench, the install is really easy. My two cents, if you're going to do the bar, you may as well do the links too while you're down there.

Spyder Garage

Umm........... links?

Sorry, I'm a baby Spyderette. I have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by revjvegas View Post
    What they said.

And if you are comfortable turning a wrench, the install is really easy. My two cents, if you're going to do the bar, you may as well do the links too while you're down there.

Spyder Garage

The gizmos that connect the swaybar to the bike, they would replace the plastic BRP ones. These are metal.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

The only difficulty with the sway bar replacement is you need to be able to get it off the ground . . . with my 2013 RT, it needed to be 20" up to be able to remove the old bar and replace it. It is, however, worth every cent. I agree with the replacement heim links . . . the OEM links were designed with the forces the original sway bar would develop. A stiffer bar will experience heavier loads, which is what stops the excessive swaying.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New sway bar

When you purchase the Baja Ron sway bay, it will come with the new links. They have been part of the package since the 2014s came out.

Spyder Garage

Do the wheels need to be off the ground, or can it be on a ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    The only difficulty with the sway bar replacement is you need to be able to get it off the ground . . . with my 2013 RT, it needed to be 20" up to be able to remove the old bar and replace it. It is, however, worth every cent. I agree with the replacement heim links . . . the OEM links were designed with the forces the original sway bar would develop. A stiffer bar will experience heavier loads, which is what stops the excessive swaying.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have had several ryders install our Spring Stiffeners first and it has solved that problem. They install very quickly and are only $85.

Might want to try them first. All you need is a jack and an 18 mm wrench to install.

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!products/cdk6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Do the wheels need to be off the ground, or can it be on a ramp?
    The wheels do not have to be unloaded (off the support surface). As long as there is equal weight on each wheel, the sway bar is not in tension. So you can lift with the wheels off the surface or lift with the wheels on a surface.

Standard car ramps work fine for the 2008-2012 models. You'll need something higher for the 2013+ models.

Some have used ATV ramps to the back of a pickup truck to get the needed amount of lift. The rear wheel does not need to be lifted. It is actually best to leave the rear wheel on the ground unless you have a table lift.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

BajaRon's sway bar and hiem joints will help that and more. Good starting point and spring adjusters or stiffners will also help. There are also shock relocators and utimately new shocks. But again start with the bar...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Modify a new stock spyder?

Althoug you'd never know it by the comments on this site, most spyders are kept pretty close to mechanically stock, just the way they came from the factory.
    why not ride your new spyder for a 1000mi or so to get used to it the way it was designed. If you then find objections you can then get advice from here or your dealer and make some modifications.
    carl

Spyder Garage

Smile Stopping the Sway!

We picked up our new Spyder RT-S Special Series yesterday at a dealership 140 miles from home. We could have hopped on the freeway to come home, but instead decided to put her to the test. We took an out of the way scenic route home, going up into the high country onto some of our favorite twistie roads. I just love the way she handles the curves, and she has plenty of get up and go. Our only concern was that wierd swaying feeling. Sara was on the back seat, and she said it felt like we were on a boat at times. I remember reading some posts about the Baja Ron sway bar, with many people saying this should be the first mod. I didn't pay much attention to those posts, but now that I have ridden the Spyder, I think I get it.

So will the sway bar eliminate that wierd "boat" sensation? If so, I will order one post haste.

Also, are they very difficult to install? I like to do my own work whenever possible.

Thanks!

Pam
    Best money you can spend on your SPYDER. The Heavier / stiffer sway bar reduces the "rolling" in corners and stops the wind gust sway from on-coming vehicles and side gusts of wind. You'll still feel the wind effects on your body, but the SPYDER will stay put in the road.
    The metal Heim links are included with the sway bar ( stock OEM links are plastic). And it is an easy install following Ron's included instructions.

Spyder Garage

Before you go to the Ronbar, how tightly are you holding the handlebars? One of the mistakes new ryders make is to get a death grip on the handlebars, which will cause you to over-correct to keep the Spyder going straight. Next time you go out, try just laying your hands on the grips, Spyders don't require a lot of input to go in a straight line, but most people don't feel comfortable in curves for the first thousand miles or so....after that, it's fun to try to keep up with them.

john

Spyder Garage

Yepper all of the above

Spyder Garage

so much of that "at sea" sensation is due to you and your passengers reaction to the centrifugal force of cornering.
    A bunch of that sensation will be calmed as you get up to speed with your riding style. That said, the Baja Ron sway bar
    is a great investment to improve your handling, but by itself will not cure all the sensations, but time in the saddle will.
    relax, relax, relax, Spyder isn't crazy about mid corner adjustments either, but I KNOW you will get steadier and steadier.
    It has worked for me.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default I should have done more research befoire ordering the Anti Sway bar

I purchased the Anti Sway bar, and it was shipped today. In email conversations with Baja Ron and with SpyderPops, it looks like I don't have the proper equipment in my garage to lift it high enough. I checked with a couple of the local dealers to see how much it would cost for them to install it. One was nearly $300 and the other was $480. I can kick myself for not taking this into consideration, thinking it was something that I could easily install myself. Now I have to return it as soon as it arrives.

I guess I'll have to learn to live with the "floating" sensation. It's not worth $600-$800 to correct something that really should have been done by Can Am.

Pam

Spyder Garage

Hi Pampurrs,

Re: nearly $300 and the other was $480

WOW!!!!! Try to find an independent motorcycle shop, show them the instructions, tell them what you can about what it takes to do the install.

You might just get a price you can live with.

Another thought; find the local Spyder chapter in your area and see if a member would do the install for you.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Don't give up, it is just a hurdle in the road.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I don't know of any Spyder clubs in my area. I hardly ever see any Spyders riding around here to be honest.

How long should it take to install this for someone who has a lift? One place told me 4.5 hours. That just seem ridiculous.

Thanks

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Pampurrs,

Re: nearly $300 and the other was $480

WOW!!!!! Try to find an independent motorcycle shop, show them the instructions, tell them what you can about what it takes to do the install.

You might just get a price you can live with.

Another thought; find the local Spyder chapter in your area and see if a member would do the install for you.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Don't give up, it is just a hurdle in the road.

Spyder Garage

take it to an independent dealer, show him a utube and he'll be able to do it

Spyder Garage

I don't know of any Spyder clubs in my area. I hardly ever see any Spyders riding around here to be honest.

How long should it take to install this for someone who has a lift? One place told me 4.5 hours. That just seem ridiculous.

Thanks

Pam
    The only way that anyone could take 4.5 hours was to consume a case of beer while doing it. Some of that time would be sleeping it off. Jesus theses dealers must be starving to death so when they perceive a guppy they try to make it for the day or week.\

IMO a moron can do it, I proved that by doing my own. Watch the video a number of times, build yourself some ramps or buy the HF ATV lift, you will need them in the future with dealers like that around. Or take up robbing 7-11s on the weekends to pay for your habit/bike.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks

Pam
    I will comment one more time on this. Pam, if you have a floor jack, my stiffeners are easily installed and they do work. Here is the installation video:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donkes View Post
    take it to an independent dealer, show him a utube and he'll be able to do it
    Can you give me the link to the YouTube? The only one I could find was for a 2012.

Thanks

Pam

Spyder Garage

Hi pitz,

Re: IMO a moron can do it, I proved that by doing my own.

Well, I do hope that does not become the standard for DIY.

I did notice that there are no chapters listed for Arizona. I have to believe that some indie shop could it for her.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5