Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default To trade or not to trade...

that is the question. Whether tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the 998 of thine 2012 RTS SM5
    or take a loan against a 2015 F3S.
    Tis a consummation Devoutly to be wished...

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Thou hast heard for surest:

"Wow, I couldest of hadest a V8."

The 2012 is very good. The 2015 is better by mucheth. If thy funds permitest, thence, thou should doest it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    that is the question. Whether tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the 998 of thine 2012 RTS SM5

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."

But then . . .

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."

So, I say . . . go for it!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Your words are way above my pay scale, but if money permits, I would go for it. My dealer let me have one for a couple days and I loved it, my only problem is my age. At almost 80, I do not know how long I will be able/safe to ride. I would also suggest, if you are not real serious, I would not ride a 1330, because you will want it
    Just my tuppence worth
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Speak American....!!

regardless of the lingo...do what the budget allows..a loan is payments every month for a while. Now if the budget can withhold the strain...go for it, lock it in with a test ryde could be you will stay with the one you love...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is a luxury purchase, especially since you own one already. I wouldn't consider it until you have the money saved up (and can spend it without it having a major effect on your financial health).

In the end, while it will be really nice to have, it won't make you significantly happier in your life and it isn't something that could even remotely be construed as a need.

Disclaimer: I don't believe in debt (except perhaps on property where your equity is still very high), and that belief has served me well and saved me as well.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Post To Trade or Not

I believe in not getting into debt unless it is absolutely necessary, but on the other hand if you believe the purchase will make you happy go for it. "He who owns the most toys at the end wins". Are you a winner?

Blade

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    "He who owns the most toys at the end wins". Are you a winner?

Blade
    He who accomplishes great things, does well by others, and has financial security and wisdom has a much better chance at "winning" than he who lives his life based on trite bumper stickers.

I don't know any people I would consider winners who subscribe to toys as a meaningful measure of much of anything except how full one's garage is. A full garage is a great thing, but having some comfort in retirement, owning that garage without a mortgage, and being prepared for unexpected needs trumps how many depreciating assets are kept in the garage.

I've seen too many Spyders being sold here and elsewhere because people couldn't really afford them, and that usually leaves them Spyder-less in the end.

I know my answer isn't the "fun" one, or the one I'd want to hear if I put up the same post, but I do really believe it is the right one.

Save up and buy it is my suggestion, but whatever you do don't make decisions based on sayings best attributed to the wisdom of teenage boys.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

Do it!!!

Spyder Garage

O yea

Spyder Garage

with MRH. The question isn't... is it a "Need" or a "Want" --- we all know the answer to that question -- but rather can you "TRULY" afford it. For that you have to honestly self-analyze where you are at in life with respect to financial security (current and future).

If your decision is based solely on the fact that the 2014 and 2015 RTs have a larger engine, my questions are... "until learning of the 1330 (3x3) were you happy with the 998? Would you even be considering a newer model if they still had the 998? Did the 998 serve it's purpose prior to learning of the 1330? Answering these questions may yield you to stay with the 998, especially if it is paid for.

If your decision is based on "the one with the most toys in the garage wins" or "you only live once, so enjoy life at all cost" (no pun intended), than you will probably lean toward getting a loan and upgrading to a 1330 (3x3). If that is the case than I say, "Good Luck!!! I surely hope you have enough (minimum of a years worth of income) in reserve to pay for an unexpected emergency.

If your decision is to hold off for a couple of years so you can pay cash for it (or at least 50% of it), or pay-off your mortgage first, than I stay "Good for you and enjoy every mile on your 998. When your finances are better suited, remember to shop around in the fall when the end of year close out sales are in full swing".
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Rider; 06-02-2015 at 11:41 PM.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe this will make you feel better and save you a few bucks. Buy a 2014. If you can find one you'll save a bunch.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My advice to my young-adult son (years ago) was this: "Never use borrowed money to buy toys."

But then you're not my son....... so YMMV.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Yes!

Do it! But, find a 14 or a low mile trade in. The 1330 is just a better bike. Jmho, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I, for one, appreciate all of the posts and different ideas, advice, etc. Being retired now, it does take a little more discussion than when he was working. We realize this would be a want and not a need, but our 'needs' are taken care of. The house belongs to us and not to a bank. Being married over 35 years, I want him to have something that he will be comfortable riding and be happy. All of our big purchases are discussed with each other, and I thank you for your comments as well, as you are a non-partisan party to this.

Ride safe and God bless!

Spyder Garage

I like Shakespeare but I do prefer Hunter S. Thompson:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to
    skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'"

Since you devoutly wish for the F3-S consummation, I say, If the payments won't take food off the table... do it.

Spyder Garage

So I had to go to the dealer yesterday and pick up some parts. Dang upper mirror clip broke again. Picked up some other stuff too. While there I talked with a salesman. We talked for about an hour. I didn't ride the '12 because of rain and it's two hours one way. They have the F3S I was looking at, color wise, in stock. This dealer has already discounted the F3S a good amount. This is not a BRP discount, dealer only. We couldn't bottom line a number since they couldn't evaluate the '12 for a trade. However, what he said sounds good. So I will be making a trip back there with the '12 and see what the bottom line is. You know, it's nice to walk in to a dealer show room that you haven't been in in 8 months and be called by name.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

So I had to go to the dealer yesterday and pick up some parts. Dang upper mirror clip broke again. Picked up some other stuff too. While there I talked with a salesman. We talked for about an hour. I didn't ride the '12 because of rain and it's two hours one way. They have the F3S I was looking at, color wise, in stock. This dealer has already discounted the F3S a good amount. This is not a BRP discount, dealer only. We couldn't bottom line a number since they couldn't evaluate the '12 for a trade. However, what he said sounds good. So I will be making a trip back there with the '12 and see what the bottom line is. You know, it's nice to walk in to a dealer show room that you haven't been in in 8 months and be called by name.
    Here's a crazy idea. If you're choosing to make the plunge, then sell your 2012 on your own first (chances are that you'll be able to get a few thousand more for it than trading it in). That will lower your cost and I can't imagine that prices on a new F3 will go up (and certainly not enough to cover the spread). That could easily be $3000 less of a loan you'll be taking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best of luck to you; please let us know what happens next!

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Here's a crazy idea. If you're choosing to make the plunge, then sell your 2012 on your own first (chances are that you'll be able to get a few thousand more for it than trading it in). That will lower your cost and I can't imagine that prices on a new F3 will go up (and certainly not enough to cover the spread). That could easily be $3000 less of a loan you'll be taking.
    There are so many Spyders advertised for sale now I doubt I'd get much of a response. My brother has had his Harley on Cycle Trader since March. He's had one offer and that turned out to be a scam.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

There are so many Spyders advertised for sale now I doubt I'd get much of a response. My brother has had his Harley on Cycle Trader since March. He's had one offer and that turned out to be a scam.
    This seems to be a very tough site to sell things on. My experience with seats, floorboards, camera, is that if it is not at 50% or more off of list--no takers. My favorite offer was $75 for my Corbin seat/backrest combination.

I don't see anyone making thousands more than the dealer is going to offer on a trade. It does happen, but not very often. As long as the trade is "ballpark (KBB, NADA, etc.)" and you are happy with how much actual cash is spent when you drive out the door--then you have the proverbial deal.

Hope you can find what you want and at a fair price.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    I like Shakespeare but I do prefer Hunter S. Thompson:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to
    skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'"

Since you devoutly wish for the F3-S consummation, I say, If the payments won't take food off the table... do it.
    I like that!

It looks like you're on your way to a new F3S!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The hook has been set...

So what will happen to all of the RT jockeys? Will they be trading in their touring mounts, and heading off in the direction of the new F-3?

(Do you remember when all of the RS pilots would accuse their brethren of moving to the "Dark Side", when they traded for RTs? )