Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Buffering or what?

Being new to riding, I am experiencing something that makes me uncomfortable while riding at freeway speed for a distance over 40-50 miles. Been researching and I'm suspecting helmet buffering, but I'm not sure what helmet buffering really is.

I have a 2014 with the 25" tall, wide (31") F4 windshield. My eye level is at the top of the windshield or 1" below. I'm not experiencing the wind "moving" my head around like a bobble doll. I'm wondering if buffering could also just be a more subtle "vibration" that eventually bugs you? I have the vent which I have open and I have the windshield full up. There is a slight vibration from the bike at freeway speeds, not sure if this is a fault or one of the wheels need balancing.

My helmet is a L BRP which I believe fits correctly, not tight but "secure". It has the detachable chin guard and I've tried it with and without. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I tried my GF's M HD helmet (3/4) and it was really tight. Experienced the same discomfort.

Any observations/ideas are welcome.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bill, are you feeling pressure on the back of your head? If so, you should try lowering the windshield. Actually, you should experiment with the windshield in all positions until you find one where you no longer feel the buffeting. I ride with my windshield about 1" up from the lowest setting, if I put it up any higher I feel the buffeting on the back of my head.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

if you feel like the spyder is moving around you might need a laser alignment.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post

Bill C.
    Agreed.

​Chris

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

its a motorcycle... expect wind.. its normal

osm

Spyder Garage

When I wore a helmet on my RS the wind would shake the helmet just enough that it would make me sick after a little while.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Ann
    you have to try all the different positions available. It will also vary with the helmet you are using...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Bill, are you feeling pressure on the back of your head? If so, you should try lowering the windshield. Actually, you should experiment with the windshield in all positions until you find one where you no longer feel the buffeting. I ride with my windshield about 1" up from the lowest setting, if I put it up any higher I feel the buffeting on the back of my head.
    Ann is right on. Move the Windshield up or down slightly to the least buffeting area. You should be just looking over the windshield so you can see a point on the road in front of you about 75 feet and not through the windshield.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default buffeting and moving

'Might also check that your tire pressures are correct!

Bill C.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

If you're new to riding it may just be the extra weight of the helmet. The only true way to determine if your wheels are causing the vibrations is to find a perfectly smooth road, good luck. I don't think road builders give a crap about smoothness anymore. Also, experience will cause a lot less stress over wind gusts and traffic buffeting.

Spyder Garage

Bill C.
    It has been laser aligned. The bike doesn't appear to be moving. A vibration maybe.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Move your head up, down, etc. and see if the problem changes. This was a common problem with early Spyder models due to crappy windshields. Many of us had to try various shields and positions to 'fix' it. The aerodynamics of your helmet matter a lot also.

It's going to take some trial and error to get it to feel just right.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AS WE DISCUSSED

Bill, if I understood you correctly in an earlier PM you said were 5' 8" or so ......I'm 5' 11"....We have the same Spyder except for the F-4 which measured and said is the SAME height as OEM......if you are looking just over the top at MAX windshield height , I think something may be wrong with the lifting mechanism.......because at MAX height on mine I'm looking thru 2 inches of plastic ....annnnnnd I'm 3 in. taller than you...........Question has your seat been altered and is now extremely thick.....???..................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bill, if I understood you correctly in an earlier PM you said were 5' 8" or so ......I'm 5' 11"....We have the same Spyder except for the F-4 which measured and said is the SAME height as OEM......if you are looking just over the top at MAX windshield height , I think something may be wrong with the lifting mechanism.......because at MAX height on mine I'm looking thru 2 inches of plastic ....annnnnnd I'm 3 in. taller than you...........Question has your seat been altered and is now extremely thick.....???..................Mike
    I do have an Ultimate seat and the previous owner was taller than I so it could be a tallboy, which one would assume that was a little higher. Mike, I think this is the issue with me sitting taller than you do. Maybe your height in in your legs

The tire pressure is right and monitored with FOBO.

I am not talking about normal wind gust or a passing truck.

I will work with the height of the windshield.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What she said!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    When I wore a helmet on my RS the wind would shake the helmet just enough that it would make me sick after a little while.
    I didn't notice this on my RS but I only rode it 1000 miles before getting the RT. Did you notice the "shaking" or was it subtle and eventually you realized that you were sick? I understand that if the helmet is too big its going to move around causing problems.

Spyder Garage

Buffeting (not buffering) is caused when turbulent wind hits the helmet from several different angles randomly and in quick succession. It's like getting pummeled by wind.

If you can move the helmet without moving your head then it is very likely that the helmet is too loose. A properly fitted helmet is quite snug and most people will not wear a properly fitted helmet.

When the helmet is too loose this buffeting action will cause the helmet to move erratically on your head. Usually back and forth. This messes with your vision and can give you a headache.

Your windshield crates a region of relative calm behind it with turbulence around the edges. The size, shape and location of this calm area depends on several factors. The trick is to get your head into the calm area. Regardless of where your windshield is, you can lean forward and down to find this sweet spot. That gives you a point of reference. If the sweet spot is too far forward or too low or both. then you need to make the necessary changes to relocate the sweet spot to where you can take advantage of it.

The turbulence and the sweet spot will move depending on speed and wind direction.

Bottom line is, You're on a motorcycle. You are going to get wind. You can manage it some, but you can't get rid of it altogether. It's part of the experience!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Buffeting (not buffering) is caused when turbulent wind hits the helmet from several different angles randomly and in quick succession. It's like getting pummeled by wind.

If you can move the helmet without moving your head then it is very likely that the helmet is too loose. A properly fitted helmet is quite snug and most people will not wear a properly fitted helmet.

When the helmet is too loose this buffeting action will cause the helmet to move erratically on your head. Usually back and forth. This messes with your vision and can give you a headache.

Your windshield crates a region of relative calm behind it with turbulence around the edges. The size, shape and location of this calm area depends on several factors. The trick is to get your head into the calm area. Regardless of where your windshield is, you can lean forward and down to find this sweet spot. That gives you a point of reference. If the sweet spot is too far forward or too low or both. then you need to make the necessary changes to relocate the sweet spot to where you can take advantage of it.

The turbulence and the sweet spot will move depending on speed and wind direction.

Bottom line is, You're on a motorcycle. You are going to get wind. You can manage it some, but you can't get rid of it altogether. It's part of the experience!
    "Getting wind" isn't the issue, being made sick by something means there needs to be an adjustment to something. Most of you are riding in pleasure, I intend to figure it out and also enjoy riding. BTW my new bike has a BajaRon on it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    "Getting wind" isn't the issue, being made sick by something means there needs to be an adjustment to something. Most of you are riding in pleasure, I intend to figure it out and also enjoy riding. BTW my new bike has a BajaRon on it
    I think we are all just throwing things against the wall hoping something will stick for you. Windshields make turbulence. Big windshields make a lot of turbulence. That is why I like a small windshield. I prefer constant wind and virtually no turbulance to a windshield big enough to put the turbulence behind me.

But I understand that there are very few who share my preference in this area.

By moving around you should be able to determine if the buffeting is coming from the top of your head, from the sides or both. That should head you in the right direction. (no pun intended)

Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think we are all just throwing things against the wall hoping something will stick for you. Windshields make turbulence. Big windshields make a lot of turbulence. That is why I like a small windshield. I prefer constant wind and virtually no turbulance to a windshield big enough to put the turbulence behind me.

But I understand that there are very few who share my preference in this area.

By moving around you should be able to determine if the buffeting is coming from the top of your head, from the sides or both. That should head you in the right direction. (no pun intended)

Good luck!
    I understand Ron, I will be trying everything, I think that I will even try taping some ribbons onto the windshield to understand where the turbulence occurs. Buffeting, glad to get that corrected Flunked English all of my life, just glad it wasn't any worse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Ann is right on. Move the Windshield up or down slightly to the least buffeting area. You should be just looking over the windshield so you can see a point on the road in front of you about 75 feet and not through the windshield.

Jack
    We agree on something!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I understand Ron, I will be trying everything, I think that I will even try taping some ribbons onto the windshield to understand where the turbulence occurs. Buffeting, glad to get that corrected Flunked English all of my life, just glad it wasn't any worse.
    Not a problem. I can't spell! If it were not for my wife and spell checker software, no one would understand anything I typed!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RIBBONS

Bill, if you are looking to track the AIR currant, you will need SMOKE. The ribbons will tell you it's there ( some thing you already know ! ) but not EXACTLY where it's going after it comes over the top of the windshield.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bill, if you are looking to track the AIR currant, you will need SMOKE. The ribbons will tell you it's there ( some thing you already know ! ) but not EXACTLY where it's going after it comes over the top of the windshield.........Mike
    Drive up close behind this guy. That should do it!

Spyder Garage

We agree on something!
    I think we agree on most things. Your my heroine Ann!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick