Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Who's got the best helmet? Post a picture of you wearing it!!!

I need to get something different for a helmet. Checking to see what helmet options are out there. I'm pretty well restricted to buying online. I'd like something that looks sporty but offers great protection. I like the utility of a visor and the appearance but don't want to have issues with wind buffeting
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

helmet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That's your head shape? I could show you my Arai Profile but it's not going to be comfortable for you unless you have an intermediate oval head per the Arai web site. Long ovals are harder to find.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

don't know how much your going to get from this...many colors many types many prices. Yiur best bet is go to a bike shop or cycle gear and try them. Looks is not what you need to worry about. Stick with name brand...Arai, Shoei, Bell, HJC to name a few. I prefer modular helmets currently have HJC. happy hunting have fun but go for safety first...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I prefer Nolan brand.

The full face has the front that lifts up. Easy on/easy off. The N103 and higher have an inside drop down sun visor.

I have three of the above

For 3/4 version (N/40/N43/N44), They have inside drop down sun visor and optional use chin bar, as well as full drop down face plate.

Also have three of these.

Motorcycle Superstore has the full line up. See their site for pictures and more complete descriptions.

N44 on the left, N104 in the middle, N40 (no chin bar) on right

EDIT: I posted this information in another helmet thread yesterday--but will add it here since the subject came up below.

Fit, fit, fit, is the most important part of wearing a helmet. You mentioned that you are stuck with buying by mail. A very good idea if possible to go to motorcycle dealers and try various name brands, and see how their sizes match with your required fit. Different brands are never the same when it comes to sizing. If you cannot do the dealer check out, then make sure you can return or exchange the purchased helmet in case you need to. Most larger suppliers have this policy.

Dealers usually charge more than internet helmet providers, but the personal service and sizing is important. Most dealers can get you the color/size you need within a week--if they do not have exactly what you want in stock.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-02-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default If you want a visor...

Check out http://super-visor.com to add a visor to your helmet. I've used them on several different helmets, including an Arai with the vents at the top of the face shield. They adhere well, don't seem to add noise, and I haven't had any problems with it catching in the wind if riding with the visor cracked open. I prefer the smoked visor. The white one seems to have more glare. Got a new one on order to add to my new Lazer helmet. You can reuse them by getting heavy duty double side foam tape but I want to leave one on my old Arai. Also available from Aerostich. More expensive shipping but faster delivery.
    Scoot

2015 RT-S
    BajaRon swaybar, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Battery Tender power connector, the "Missing Belt Guard", "Don't Eat The Mud" mud flap, JT's dash mount, RAM mounts for electronic stuff.

Spyder Garage

Default helmets

I have been using Nolan for the past eight or nine years, they fit my head well and I like the flip-up front and built in visors.
    seth

Spyder Garage

I've got a Shoei which I really like (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...modular-helmet). I got it at a show and they switched out the chin pads for a less thick set, which really helped me.

For me, the thing I've found is that different brands really fit different head shapes better, so if you can possibly try them on before purchasing I strongly suggest it. I also wear very different sizes in the two helmets I've owned.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I need to get something different for a helmet. Checking to see what helmet options are out there. I'm pretty well restricted to buying online. I'd like something that looks sporty but offers great protection. I like the utility of a visor and the appearance but don't want to have issues with wind buffeting
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets

I use a Scorpion EXO500 full face with a drop down inner sun shield.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

This one works just great.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default IMHO

It is the helmet that fits you well and you are comfortable wearing. Never ever will buy another helmet without trying on and wearing around before spending $$..I found that it matters not if it was the BEST going for person A...if it doesn't fit right on me...it is not going on my shelf. Oh yea...I have several I purchased because person A "loved it"...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    It is the helmet that fits you well and you are comfortable wearing. Never ever will buy another helmet without trying on and wearing around before spending $$..I found that it matters not if it was the BEST going for person A...if it doesn't fit right on me...it is not going on my shelf. Oh yea...I have several I purchased because person A "loved it"...
    It is all about the "fit" first, and then getting down to the "nitty gritty."

My preferred brand--also fits the best--for ME.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It is all about the "fit" first, and then getting down to the "nitty gritty."

My preferred brand--also fits the best--for ME.
    Non of them is any good unless you need it! If you truly want protection get a full face. My friend and classmate Phil Hallin can attest to this. He did not have a full face helmut and now he has a jaw bone made from part of his hipbone, false teeth and a crooked chin. A word to the wise!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Non of them is any good unless you need it! If you truly want protection get a full face. My friend and classmate Phil Hallin can attest to this. He did not have a full face helmut and now he has a jaw bone made from part of his hipbone, false teeth and a crooked chin. A word to the wise!

Jack
    Sometimes your information comes across a bit strong. The scare tactics (even though truth), in favor of full helmet or nothing, do not seem to answer the OP question about what is available/best.

Some people cannot wear a full face helmet because they feel too claustrophobic or cannot easily put on the full face helmet of choice. I would rather someone wear (a) helmet instead of (no) helmet.

In my case, I own both. At least I am always wearing a helmet if/when the need arises.

In the end, it is each person's choice as to what helmet (if any) they wear.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-02-2015 at 12:56 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What ever the helmet you end up with check and see if they offer the visor with the Pinlock system. It eliminates the visor from fogging up in cool/cold weather. http://www.pinlock.nl/motor/

Spyder Garage

I had been use Nolan full face modulator N-104 helmet along time and now both me and my wife use same type Nolan helmet and I like the way nolan fit well but cost more than some helmet .You can try if you want to see you like Nolan

Spyder Garage

This particular graphic persuaded me to replace my 3/4 helmet with a full helmet. After a while, I stopped noticing the difference and actually don't feel comfortable now with just 3/4 protection. The modular design I have really helps me with that, as do the the thinner chin pads.

2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I strongly agree with Chupaca and Murphy. For me, buying a helmet online could be just as uncomfortable as trying to buy shoes/boots the same way. I wouldn't do so without the opportunity to wear it around for a good while and the best place for that is a good shop with lots of inventory. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am a firm believer in a full face helmet. I bought a half helmet and haven't worn it yet. The reason I haven't worn it is because I got hit in the head with a brick going 75mph down the highway. If I didn't have my full face on I wouldn't be here. It shattered my visor and put a pretty big gash in my Arai helmet. Almost knocked me of my bike. I was hanging on by my fingertips. It was pretty scary. So now my brand new half shell is just sitting in its box in a closet. Good luck with your search.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    This particular graphic persuaded me to replace my 3/4 helmet with a full helmet. After a while, I stopped noticing the difference and actually don't feel comfortable now with just 3/4 protection. The modular design I have really helps me with that, as do the the thinner chin pads.

Coming on strong or not akspyderman you did not spend months visiting him in the hospital. He was there for a total of six long months. The above certainly proves my point regardless how you perceive it. As you should notice the majority of the impact is in the chin area. Over and out!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Coming on strong or not akspyderman you did not spend months visiting him in the hospital. He was there for a total of six long months. The above certainly proves my point regardless how you perceive it. As you should notice the majority of the impact is in the chin area. Over and out!

Jack
    No offense taken Jack. You are a very intelligent person. You are going to be you, and I am going to be me. We are not always going to agree on every point. Obviously we differ here. That's good. Not everyone agrees with you, and not everyone agrees with me.

We have said our points. More will say theirs. Life will go on.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I love my Nolan N104 . . . most comfortable helmet I've ever had. RevZilla has some great videos at their web site that are useful in selecting a helmet and have a great return policy. http://www.revzilla.com/2015-best-mo...s-buyers-guide

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)