Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New to the Spyder community.

Hello everyone I am going to need your expertise and and knowledge on these fine machines. Its been thirty years since I've ridden a two wheel cycle and after taking a trip down memory lane a while back I have the itch.I'm currently on my way to getting a motorcycle license or J.
    I've seen only a handful of these in the last couple of years and I really like the idea.I've been to the local dealer her in the Baltimore area and am researching the heck out of these. My first question is for those who have experienced this how many have started with the non-touring then moved to the touring?
    My wife and I are boaters and have made many 2-ft jumps in size to finally go big. I'm trying to save the steps.If I buy the less expensive machines then sell then move up then I now have depreciation and taxes that are lost. In your opinion what have you done please?
    Just starting to get back in the saddle is very exciting to me. I just turned 58 and need a new toy/ machine and the Spyder looks like the way to go.

Thank you for your time,

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

and glad you found this site. ) I forgot to add "Take a test Drive" Deanna

I Prefer the 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac !
    Last edited by Deanna777; 05-31-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

....................hope you enjoy the hunt for a !

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on finding the best site on the internet! So,

Spyder Garage

Default welcome

WELCOME BACK to the open road......
    dp

Spyder Garage

You may want to test ride them all: RS, ST, RT, and F3. See which one is the most fun for you, or the most comfortable, if that is your concern. Sometimes, fun and comfortable do not go hand in hand.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-31-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Test rides are the way to go. I am a five owner who has purchased three different versions.

My current favorite it the RT-S with the 1330 three cylinder engine.

If you want more sporty--the F3 is the way to go. For two up--RT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oh, I forgot, welcome aboard.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would depend on what type of ryding you are ultimately wanting to do to determine which model you like. If you think you'll like touring (like I do), go for the RT. If you think you'll just be tooling around town and local countrside, look at the RS, ST or F3. For each model, there are different "trim" levels. For instance, the RT options are RT, RTS and RT Ltd. The RT and F3 have the 1330 cc triple engine. The RS and ST have the 998 cc twin. (I'd go for the 1330 triple.) What sort of seating position do you like? The RS is like a sport bike with your heels back under your butt and your shoulders forward. The ST and RT have the same seating configuration. The F3 is all new and more like a cruiser motorcycle.

I can't wait to see what you decide. Keep us updated about your decision. Ask lots of questions and try them all out!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not just the size: it's the seating position...

If you like sporting; the RS is the way to go. For pure touring: nothing beats the RT. the ST is a bit of an "In-Betweener"
    Sorry; I don't have the ergos for the F-3 yet; that's more of a cruiser style seating...

http://cycle-ergo.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-31-2015 at 05:47 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

To me, if you're planning that once-in-a-lifetime-trip (cross country, North to Alaska, for example) the RT is the way to go, especially if you'll be going two up.

If your touring aspirations are a little less and you'll be doing a combination of shorter trips and local (like that quick trip to the supermarket that turns into a 2 hour, 100 mile round trip) the ST makes a great choice.

If you just want something to zip around on the weekends, commute to work, etc, then the choice between the RS and the F3 comes down to cruiser style vs non-cruiser style.

I rode my ST from New Jersey to Missouri for Spyderfest and back. ~3100 miles round trip. I had my pack on the passenger seat and I need to work on moving it further back; it pushed me too far forward and I was really sore after a while.

Just my .02
    Last edited by Trbayth; 05-31-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Depending on what you want to do.Touring sport or sport touring

Test drive test drive test drive

WELCOME aboard!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a short drive from Halethorpe, MD to Hanover PA and visit Motosports, one of the finest dealers in the area. http://www.motosportsinc.com/

Also, check out the Maryland Spyder Web, http://www.meetup.com/marylandspyderweb/ and https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maryl...942154?fref=ts

MSW is a very active group with members from Maryland, District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. It is made up of a great group of folks, drawn together by our love of our Spyders . . . We have scheduled rydes throughout the season, from single day rydes to group trips to places like the West Virginian Appalachians and Lake George, NY!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You have found a great site with tons of knowledge. I had an 09 RSS and I'm on a Harley Street Glide now. But pretty soon I will be trading in for a F3-S. If I did a lot of road trips I would go with the RT. It's all up to you. In my opinion,you can't pick a bad one. Lol.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Easy...!!

well sort of...what do expect to do most..?? Oh , Welcome to this strange but fun filled informative site... Seeing as you did the whole boat thing from the bottom up do the spyder from the top down. Seems you would like the new RT the best and if I'm wrong (usually not) you can sell it and get two of the sport models one for each... its all in the test ryde...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black