Spyder Garage

Default 998 cat delete results question

Ok, so I tried searching through the various threads and my google-fu failed me.

For those that have done the cat delete on the 998, what sort of heat improvement have you seen? If you had boiling gas, did it stop? What is the weight difference between stock and the delete pipe? Any performance improvement in acceleration?

Trying to convince the better half that we need to do this...

Thanks.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Looked for the video that a forum member posted on the subject without luck.
    It showed him using a temp gun showing readings before and after Cat removal. Unfortunately can't locate it but the reading before Cat removal was 177°C and after Cat removal 77°C.
    Unfortunately can't help with other queries but am sure someone will jump in soon.

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Ok, so I tried searching through the various threads and my google-fu failed me.

For those that have done the cat delete on the 998, what sort of heat improvement have you seen? If you had boiling gas, did it stop? What is the weight difference between stock and the delete pipe? Any performance improvement in acceleration?

Trying to convince the better half that we need to do this...

Thanks.
    When I remove my cat the gas smell almost went completely away I could actually park my spyder back in the garage after a long ride. When the cat was on the bike I had to park out side and let it cool off and air out because of the very strong gas smell.

There was some good performance improvement and I also like the new sound.

I had the cat removed and drove it about 1200 miles. I reinstalled the cat because I just traded it in on a new 2015. So I have the cat removal pipe for sale from my old 2012 RTL.

(Trying to convince the better half that we need to do this ...) yes it was definitely worth doing. I asked Len from pitbull Powersports what's the downside and he says there is none and I replied yes the cost (but it was well worth it). I can definitely give you a good price on my if its the one you're need.

The cat definitely weigh more than the removal pipe.

ToM
    SpyderFest '16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by 2ndChildhood; 05-30-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Tom, I won't ask about your cat removal pipe but where would one purchase the same and what is involved in removing the cat and installing this pipe?
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Tom, I won't ask about your cat removal pipe but where would one purchase the same and what is involved in removing the cat and installing this pipe?
    The installation is not too bad but you need a hoist. If you do it yourself I highly recommend removing one extra bolt to remove the main muffler it makes it so much easier. On the website it's called muffler removal pipe I believe.

It can be purchase at:

http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com

Oh one more thing the pipe is stainless steel

ToM
    SpyderFest '16

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2ndChildhood; 05-30-2015 at 06:34 AM.
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Tom,
    Sent you a PM on the sale of your pipe.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    When I remove my cat the gas smell almost went completely away I could actually park my spyder back in the garage after a long ride. When the cat was on the bike I had to park out side and let it cool off and air out because of the very strong gas smell.

There was some good performance improvement and I also like the new sound.

I had the cat removed and drove it about 1200 miles. I reinstalled the cat because I just traded it in on a new 2015. So I have the cat removal pipe for sale from my old 2012 RTL.

(Trying to convince the better half that we need to do this ...) yes it was definitely worth doing. I asked Len from pitbull Powersports what's the downside and he says there is none and I replied yes the cost (but it was well worth it). I can definitely give you a good price on my if its the one you're need.

The cat definitely weigh more than the removal pipe.

ToM
    SpyderFest '16

. The cat sits right under the fuel tank. Anything you can do to reduce heat on the fuel tank with the 998 engine is worth it. After I removed mine, I have never experienced boiling gas or smelled fumes again. I had previously wrapped the headers, which also resulted in less heat, but the greater reduction in heat was due to the cat removal. I also experienced greater low-end torque and the slightly deeper exhaust note, but I consider those advantages to be "minor perks" compared to the safety and comfort factors.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    . The cat sits right under the fuel tank. Anything you can do to reduce heat on the fuel tank with the 998 engine is worth it. After I removed mine, I have never experienced boiling gas or smelled fumes again. I had previously wrapped the headers, which also resulted in less heat, but the greater reduction in heat was due to the cat removal. I also experienced greater low-end torque and the slightly deeper exhaust note, but I consider those advantages to be "minor perks" compared to the safety and comfort factors.
    I agree with you 100% I was also concerned about fire hazard from the excessive gas fumes it was well worth removing the cat

ToM
    SpyderFest '16

Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    The installation is not too bad but you need a hoist. If you do it yourself I highly recommend removing one extra bolt to remove the main muffler it makes it so much easier. On the website it's called muffler removal pipe I believe.

It can be purchase at:

http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com

Oh one more thing the pipe is stainless steel

ToM
    SpyderFest '16

V-TWIN 991 PRIMARY MUFFLER REPLACEMENT PIPE

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=984631

Are you saying the engine needs to be lifted out of the frame to do this (the hoist comment)???
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    V-TWIN 991 PRIMARY MUFFLER REPLACEMENT PIPE

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=984631

Are you saying the engine needs to be lifted out of the frame to do this (the hoist comment)???
    No I used a hoist to lift the Spyder so I could work under it.

ToM
    SpyderFest '16

Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you for the info.

It looks like we are going to be doing this as well. the smell of gas can be overwhelming.
    Darrell & Cindy
    2011 Orbital Blue CanAm Spyder RT-S se5 w/ Communication System & trailer hitch, Arm Rests, Elkas shocks, Baja Ron swaybar & spark plugs and wires, Custom dynamatics fender lights & third brake light, Seal floorboard "PUP" floor boards, CycleMate utility Trailer and Sena 20s with dongle.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Anyone know what the approximate weight difference is between the cat and the new pipe?
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Anyone know what the approximate weight difference is between the cat and the new pipe?

Just weighed my CAT, it weighed in at 13 lbs. Just a guess but the bypass pipe probably weighed about 4lbs.

NOW! The oem muffler weighed in at 22lbs. My carbon fiber Two Brothers probably weighed about 10lbs. Just a guess there also as I never weighed the Two Bothers, but it was considerably lighter.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

The surface temperature of my catalytic converter was 378 degree F and the surface temperature of the cat delete is 174 degrees F. That kind of temperature reduction from right under the gas tank sure as hell makes me feel better
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Awesome. Double thanks on the last 2 posts!
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    The surface temperature of my catalytic converter was 378 degree F and the surface temperature of the cat delete is 174 degrees F. That kind of temperature reduction from right under the gas tank sure as hell makes me feel better
    You're not the ONLY one, Doc. It makes ME feel better, too.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

The shipping weight of the pipe that I took off of my 2012 RT is 10 pounds.

ToM
    SpyderFest '16

Last edited by 2ndChildhood; 05-31-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Life is Great
    ToM

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just had my Cat delete done at Spyderpops. 12 RT.
    better performance
    better sound
    getting about 2 more miles to gallon in fuel mileage
    haven't really noticed much temp difference. I'm surprised.
    Still glad I did it

Spyder Garage

I removed the CAT on my 2013. Did nothing to subside the gas smell or any noticeable heat by the rider. It however sounded much better. The real culprit is the front exhaust that wraps around the left side and crosses just under the gas tank only 2-3 inches below. If you could wrap that pipe a lot I would think that would do more than the CAT removal for heat. The CAT is low and will contribute when stopped but once underway the heat is dispersed rearward with the air movement.

I also removed my CAT (politically correct: primary muffler to make it sound less hot) on my 2014 more for some increase in sound.

Would I do both Spyders again? YES

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    Looked for the video that a forum member posted on the subject without luck.
    It showed him using a temp gun showing readings before and after Cat removal. Unfortunately can't locate it but the reading before Cat removal was 177°C and after Cat removal 77°C.
    Unfortunately can't help with other queries but am sure someone will jump in soon.

Spyder Garage

In my experience removing the cat does little for heat (even with a wrap) and very little if any for performance. What it does do is create a lot of noise. I ran timed trials before and after (stop watch) and found no decernable change although the sound made be believe I had more power.

I first added a Akrapavich muffler and was able to determine a small gain with that (about 1/2 a second in a quarter mile). I went further and installed a fuel controller but no gain. I got a small gain but the computer kept through codes with the entire system in place. The bikes computer seems to allow for the muffler but beyond that it wants to stay within its programed tolerances.

I also tried adding the air filter upgrade but again, LOTS of noise but no decernable improvement.

My bike was a 2011 RT and I started working toward power improvements/heat reduction around 18000 k. After repeated attemps I put everthing back to stock other than the muffler. I eliminated the heat through other methods and was very successful in that regard.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    In my experience removing the cat does little for heat (even with a wrap) and very little if any for performance. What it does do is create a lot of noise. I ran timed trials before and after (stop watch) and found no decernable change although the sound made be believe I had more power.

I first added a Akrapavich muffler and was able to determine a small gain with that (about 1/2 a second in a quarter mile). I went further and installed a fuel controller but no gain. I got a small gain but the computer kept through codes with the entire system in place. The bikes computer seems to allow for the muffler but beyond that it wants to stay within its programed tolerances.

I also tried adding the air filter upgrade but again, LOTS of noise but no decernable improvement.

My bike was a 2011 RT and I started working toward power improvements/heat reduction around 18000 k. After repeated attemps I put everthing back to stock other than the muffler. I eliminated the heat through other methods and was very successful in that regard.
    What were the "other" methods to reduce heat?