Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Passenger grab rail extensions?

So my wife is saying she cannot really reach the RT's passenger grab rails comfortably. e.g. with a more relaxed arm.

I told her I was going to put on the Corbin arm rests so this might make it better but after seeing that setup last weekend, this might make it worse as she has to either reach the grab rails inside of the arm rests or outside of the arm rests. In both cases, needing some angle to her arms.

Anyway has anyone ever figured out some kind of grab rail extensions? Like maybe a bar you clamp on to the existing passenger grab rails?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, I'd consider the Diamond R Accessories armrests. I've had them for almost 3 years and every passenger has said they are great! I like that they fold in when not in use and no drilling required. The bracket mounts under the seat.

Take a look at their website, diamondraccessories.com. Owners Allen and Patti are great to deal with, top not customer service!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you take a look in the ATV and UTV accessory places; they might have grab rails that are designed to hook to the roll-bars... That might work...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Have not seen any but you should be able to come up with something...you always do. How about thos mountain bike bar end extensions..??
    probably going to have to make them...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

OK so time to see what I can come up with. I will admit even when I sit in the passenger seat and hold on to both grab rails, my arms are pretty straight and I am kind of a knuckle dragger too
    So it's odd they were designed this low.

Let me see what I can find like Bob said at ATV, etc places.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Hunting!

Spyder Garage

Good luck hunting. My wife has no problems on our RT-S but my daughter, who's about the same size but with shorter arms, has an almost too far reach for them.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Folks have designed and fabricated cup holder clamps... something along the lines of the clamps and split with two allen bolts to retain the two halves together around the grab rail... in this case the upper half could have a tubular steel bar welded onto it which would run the length of the current grab rail... in other words, two clamps on the grabrail with the bar running between. Then you could get something padded to cover the bar to make it more comfortable and try and match to the bike some.

The main problem with replacing the current grab rail is that it is a very complicated piece and the trunk closes on a recess added by the grabrail.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

? Are the hand rails for those situations where "the rider" would make a quick turn, and the passenger needs something to hold on to for these unexpected turns? In the alternative I would not think that the hand rails would be sufficient to keep a passenger on if there was an accident or some type of catastropic event.

Where I'm heading is that if you have Corbin, Diamond or whatever type of armrest available, that would be sufficient to secure the passenger for those "unexpected turns". Hence the passenger doesn't need to grab the hand rails if you have armrests. I don't think anything short of a seat belt (and I certainly wouldn't want to be strapped to a motorcycle) would keep a passenger on if there was an accident. JMO

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    ? Are the hand rails for those situations where "the rider" would make a quick turn, and the passenger needs something to hold on to for these unexpected turns? In the alternative I would not think that the hand rails would be sufficient to keep a passenger on if there was an accident or some type of catastropic event.

Where I'm heading is that if you have Corbin, Diamond or whatever type of armrest available, that would be sufficient to secure the passenger for those "unexpected turns". Hence the passenger doesn't need to grab the hand rails if you have armrests. I don't think anything short of a seat belt (and I certainly wouldn't want to be strapped to a motorcycle) would keep a passenger on if there was an accident. JMO

Chris
    I doubt swing out armrests woiuld secure a passenger on a seat in a sharp and unexpected turn.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    I doubt swing out armrests woiuld secure a passenger on a seat in a sharp and unexpected turn.
    I also don't think the swing-out type of arm rests will help constrain a rider. The Corbins would a little better. But I wouldn't count on them much. IMHO, having straight arms in a twisty or crash situation might be better than being able to flex much. If the rider can flex their arms, they'll be more subject to centrifugal forces.

Does your wife use them constantly, or just in turns? It may be that some arm-rests would be more comfortable for most riding, but then go for the grab bars in turns, etc.

Also, are the foot-boards at a comfortable height for her? Just as a driver should use his/her feet to help shift weight in turns, the passenger probably should, too. If her feet are dangling, and she's not able to support herself on her feet, she may be white-knuckling the grab-bars.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Floorboards are adjusted for her so she is fine there.

She uses the grab rails when we are going through twisty roads or yes around corners. She likes using them even though she really doesn't need to. Cruising down the highway, etc she does not use them.
    If we go up into the canyon's she uses them just to feel safer and after a while her arms get tired due to how straight and tight her arms have to be to hold onto them.

I am thinking if I add extensions at a inward angle, she can also grab the stock ones below the extensions if needed.

Once I get the Corbin arm rests on, we will see how it goes and if that solved her problem with needing to hold on all the time.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are handy at sewing; you could take a loop of seat belt material, and attach it to the grab rail.
    Run it though some foam padding, with a modified motorcycle grip in the mix somewhere...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you are handy at sewing; you could take a loop of seat belt material, and attach it to the grab rail.
    Run it though some foam padding, with a modified motorcycle grip in the mix somewhere...
    I am a good seamstress as I used to sew my own sails for my sailboat and I do have nice heavy duty machine.

I will think about that idea.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the term, "seamstress" the correct one for a guy who's good with a needle and thread?

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question70718.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Floorboards are adjusted for her so she is fine there.

She uses the grab rails when we are going through twisty roads or yes around corners. She likes using them even though she really doesn't need to. Cruising down the highway, etc she does not use them.
    If we go up into the canyon's she uses them just to feel safer and after a while her arms get tired due to how straight and tight her arms have to be to hold onto them.

I am thinking if I add extensions at a inward angle, she can also grab the stock ones below the extensions if needed.

Once I get the Corbin arm rests on, we will see how it goes and if that solved her problem with needing to hold on all the time.

Bob
    Bob, I think you'll find (as I have since I have the Corbin) that she will be fine for any type of aggressive twistie riding you do OR even in that situation where she has fallen asleep (as my wife has with the arm rests) and you make a sudden or quick turn. Seriously, the armrests are very stable and will keep her in just fine. I would however, recommend that you use some type of washers when installing the armrests. (just for added strength).

I saw this problem that you addressed about two months after I purchased my 2010. I called Corbin and had the total package installed. It really helped, and my wife has loved me forever for purchasing.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Corbin armrests are (the berries)
    Just ask my missus!

She had a death grip on the passenger rails before them

And that was just cruising around

Was concerned at first that she could not reach grab rails

Untill she fell asleep---

SHE heavily endorses the corbins

We rode Ultra Classic & Wings for 35 years & she is a seasoned passenger

Have ran into several ladies who told her they did not feel secure with other types

many opinions I see remind me of guys buying 50 caliber handguns for their Ladies ROFLH

although!
    I realize every one is different
    Just our experience

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlby View Post
    Corbin armrests are (the berries)
    Just ask my missus!

She had a death grip on the passenger rails before them

And that was just cruising around

Was concerned at first that she could not reach grab rails

Untill she fell asleep---

SHE heavily endorses the corbins

We rode Ultra Classic & Wings for 35 years & she is a seasoned passenger

Have ran into several ladies who told her they did not feel secure with other types

many opinions I see remind me of guys buying 50 caliber handguns for their Ladies ROFLH

although!
    I realize every one is different
    Just our experience
    I put Corbin on my RTS last fall and my wife loves them. She feels very secure with them. However, she cannot reach the hand rails, but she feels more secure with the Corbins.

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

Default I have the same problem

On my 09 RS SE5 the passenger rails are too far away for my wife to use. I've been doing a lot of research. What I'm looking at right now is www.skilash.com to solve this. I emailed them about the weight/pressure limit for these and got a quick reply that they have never tested them on anything but skis. I could tape the velcro in place or stitch it with a strong thread. I'd also probably need to do something to keep the ends from sliding together under pressure. I'm thinking a piece of pvc tubing over the handle could take care of that. The price is not bad for experimenting, 2 would be about $40 with shipping.

My SO is currently recovering from knee replacement so I'm not in a hurry. I might get another great idea in the next month. There is always hope.

I'll be watching this thread.

Spyder Garage

Just saw that,Lamont has an awesome multi adjustable grabrail

It looks awesome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlby View Post
    Just saw that,Lamont has an awesome multi adjustable grabrail

It looks awesome
    It's for the F3..... Doesn't help us RT owners.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Well crap
    That aint rite

I guess I was asleep at the wheel on that answer
    Duh

Spyder Garage

Default armrest

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    Bob, I'd consider the Diamond R Accessories armrests. I've had them for almost 3 years and every passenger has said they are great! I like that they fold in when not in use and no drilling required. The bracket mounts under the seat.

Take a look at their website, diamondraccessories.com. Owners Allen and Patti are great to deal with, top not customer service!

Do the armrest from diamondraccessories.com bend down if the passenger put pressure on them? Do they rotate out of the way for the passenger to get on and off of the bike? thanks..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do rotate out of the way so as to make it easier to get on and off the bike...
    But they WILL bend downward, if you put too much weight on them.
    They're designed to hold a pair of arms; not an entire body!

Spyder Garage

I got the Corbin armrests on last weekend and the wife likes them. Initially she was concerned that now she really can't reach the grab handles!
    But she likes that the armrests wrap around her and hold her in.

I used big washers under the heads of the screws that hold the armrests to the speaker boxes. It is just plastic and I could see the heads of these small screws ripping through the plastic! The washers should help.

So we are going to go for a ride soon and we shall see how she likes them. I told her I will add grab rail extensions if I need to. So we shall see

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black