Spyder Garage

Default Unable to read oil dip stick

Ok I think I'm going crazy but I have read and watched a dozen how to videos on checking oil but I am unable to get an accurate reading. The oil seems to foam a bit (best description I have) and I can't tell if it high, low or in between. Drive me nuts. I'm beginning t.o chatter on occasion which has ment I have been a bit low in the past. I just don't want to over fill.

Thanks for any advise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someone awhile back recommended using a paper towel to check your oil level. I do that. Pull the dip stick out and wipe it off. Put it back in, then pull it out and then lay it against the towel. That will help give you a reading of your oil level.

Spyder Garage

You are running the engine until it's warm, parking the Spyder on a level spot & turning the engine off, taking the dipstick out and wiping it dry, & then re-inserting & screwing down the dipstick before taking it out once again to check the level aren't you??

I've seen quite a few people neglect the extract & dry step before putting the dipstick back in to get an accurate 'at rest' level & then pulling it out to read it - not doing the extract & dry step almost always gives either a 'difficult to read' level, or something that's quite inaccurate!! And it often helps to pull the dipstick out & immediately hold it horizontal so the oil doesn't run &/or drip, & if necessary, flip the stick over so you can check the level on the back where the level the oil reached is usually less likely to be hidden by the pattern on the front side!

Hope that helps?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroyboyRn View Post
    Ok I think I'm going crazy but I have read and watched a dozen how to videos on checking oil but I am unable to get an accurate reading. The oil seems to foam a bit (best description I have) and I can't tell if it high, low or in between. Drive me nuts. I'm beginning t.o chatter on occasion which has ment I have been a bit low in the past. I just don't want to over fill.

Thanks for any advise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What I do is go for a good 10 miles then stop. Remove panel, pull stick & wipe.then reinsert all the way then pull again. You can also lay stick on white paper towel to make easier to see where it's at.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    What I do is go for a good 10 miles then stop. Remove panel, pull stick & wipe.then reinsert all the way then pull again. You can also lay stick on white paper towel to make easier to see where it's at.

What panel are you removing to get to the dipstick?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

You can paint the dipstick white, so there is better contrast.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

As mentioned numerous times, the best way is to pull in from a ryde, pull off your gear ( by then all foaming will be gone) then the panel and check your level. Pull the dip stick, I pull the o-ring off for easier threading it in and out, clean it off re-thread it in pull it back out to see the level. You should be between the add and full. Holding the dipstick straight up and down twist it till you see the gleam of the oil on the stick. Practice makes perfect.. don't forget to put the o-ring back on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've never had an issue by following the method described in the manual. Once oil is at operating temperature (for me when returning from a good ride) Park the Spyder on a level surface and shut the engine down. By the time I remove my riding gear and access panels I then after ensure the area around the dips tick is clean I remove dips tick and wipe it off and replace it fully. I then run the motor for 30 seconds, shut the motor down, remove dipstick, wipe it off, replace dipstick ensuring it's fully screwed in then remove dipstick and recheck the level.
    Hope this helps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I made a homemade dip stick with 1 1/2 inch diameter plastic cap, then cut a slit in it so I could slide a Popsicle stick thru it that is the same length as the stem on the factory dip stick. Then I marked the Popsicle stick with add and full marks like the factory dip stick. I warm up the motor, wait a couple of minutes, pull the factory oil dip stick, and insert the homemade dip stick until plastic cap is flush against the filler hole, pull it out and check the oil. I don't like screwing the factory oil dip stick in and out and it is much faster to check the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    As mentioned numerous times, the best way is to pull in from a ryde, pull off your gear ( by then all foaming will be gone) then the panel and check your level. Pull the dip stick, I pull the o-ring off for easier threading it in and out, clean it off re-thread it in pull it back out to see the level. You should be between the add and full. Holding the dipstick straight up and down twist it till you see the gleam of the oil on the stick. Practice makes perfect.. don't forget to put the o-ring back on...

Spyder Garage

Goodness I hate pre-emptive text sorry about that.

Spyder Garage

I drilled 4 holes in my dipstick per someone else's suggestion and really like how that works. I also glued the O ring so it stays put, that helps too.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was wondering. Where does the oil level in general sit when standing over night cold? I totally understand this is not how you check level but was curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroyboyRn View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I was wondering. Where does the oil level in general sit when standing over night cold? I totally understand this is not how you check level but was curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because of the engine design there will be no reading on the dipstick with the engine cold. The sump must move the oil around to give any reading on the stick and that can only be done hot.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I drilled 4 holes in my dipstick per someone else's suggestion and really like how that works. I also glued the O ring so it stays put, that helps too.
    I really like that idea. By chance do you have a pic of it? Would like to see where you placed the holes.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default No Problem

I started with 5/64 holes and they seem to work fine. Didn't think I would be putting my dipstick on display, now I wish I had taken a little more time and made the holes more in line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I started with 5/64 holes and they seem to work fine. Didn't think I would be putting my dipstick on display, now I wish I had taken a little more time and made the holes more in line.
    Awesome, thanks. Gonna go and put some on ours.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I just roll the dipstick on to a white kleenex. The oil stained kleenex will clearly show the level of oil as long as you keep the stick next to it.

It only took me three years to figure this one out.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Awesome! Your Spyder will be quicker out of the hole now that you've lightened it!

This used to be the cheap man's race mod. We drilled holes in everything! Sometimes we drilled holes where we should not have...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-01-2015 at 11:09 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Here is the correct procedure found in your owners manual:

1) Your motor should be warm.
    2) Park it on a level surface and stop the engine.
    3) Remove left bottom body panel.
    4) START YOUR ENGINE FOR 30 SECONDS (step #3 in BRP procedure)
    5) Stop the engines
    6) Unscrew the dipstick and wipe-it
    7) Screw the dipstick and unscrew it again.
    8) Check your oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Sorry I just had too

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Awesome! Your Spyder will quicker out of the hole now that you've lightened it!
    I never gave a thought about what I would gain by weight reduction. Now I'm thinking there might be an improvement in oil transfer efficiency between the tank and the motor.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s