Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Am I making a mistake?

Hi all! I am new here. I've been drooling over Spyders since they came out back in '08 and now that the F3's are here, I decided to bite the bullet and get one. After some research and a test ride, I am in the process of buying an F3-S SM6.

But somehow I had previously missed the threads about excess vibration at certain speeds and it seems that people are pretty frustrated with it.

I usually stay away from first year models of anything due to the lack of real life road testing; am I making a mistake by buying one now? Would it be best to wait until it's been in production for a couple of years so that the quirks have been found out and fixed? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    Hi all! I am new here. I've been drooling over Spyders since they came out back in '08 and now that the F3's are here, I decided to bite the bullet and get one. After some research and a test ride, I am in the process of buying an F3-S SM6.

But somehow I had previously missed the threads about excess vibration at certain speeds and it seems that people are pretty frustrated with it.

I usually stay away from first year models of anything due to the lack of real life road testing; am I making a mistake by buying one now? Would it be best to wait until it's been in production for a couple of years so that the quirks have been found out and fixed? Thanks!
    I've purchased 2008 as soon as they came out. No issues. Yes, there is more chances that first year model will have hick ups. Get extended warranty and enjoy the ride!

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default at the end its a your call

Hi man,
    I did some YouTube videos about complains but as well about joy.. so at the end it will be your call...
    1st is how it rides.. second is about the complains..

All in all.. look, this is my very first bike, and very first Spyder.I never drove Spyder before, not even as a test drive, because I pre-buy it. If you are not tight on money, I say go for it. The belt vibration??? well honestly, after 3.000km I dont care..
    I love speed, so what worries me more, is that i want MORE POWEr ))) - even it has lot of it..
    If you are type of guy that prefers to cruise, and sometimes likes to go quickly, and likes attention and prefer some extra safeness.. great..
    If you are little bit like me, that loves speed and try to kill myself from time to time, you will do some mods - like thorougher springs, look for performance air filter do small things here and there..
    But vibration dont worry me any more.. its a bike not a Mercedes S class limousine.. you have to live with that.

hope I help you a bit...

Spyder Garage

I have had three "first year" models. 2008, 2010, and 2014. No issues or problems.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've only ridden the F3 once on a demo ryde, so can't speak to any problems.

But I'd say, if you want to ryde this year, go for it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

i bought the f3s about a month ago and hadn't even taken a test ride. the wife and i have 1300 plus miles on it and have noticed a slight vibration at around 65 or 70mph. i had the same on the rss. a lazer alignment should take care of the problem. we love it. i had the same decision to make as you, and we just went for it. glad we did. by far, the best machine i have ever owned.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

hope you spent some time learning how much it costs to maintain these spyders... they are fun to ride, but they are VERY ESPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN !!!

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have you test ridden one yet?

Because a lot of folks end up saying...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If vibration is to much try a belt tensioner from a dealer on the home page. Had one on a 2012 RT took almost all away. Have a 2014 RT now and don't need it yet, 11,000+ miles.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    If vibration is to much try a belt tensioner from a dealer on the home page. Had one on a 2012 RT took almost all away. Have a 2014 RT now and don't need it yet, 11,000+ miles.
    smoothspyder doesn't have one yet for the f3. i'm waiting too!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    hope you spent some time learning how much it costs to maintain these spyders... they are fun to ride, but they are VERY ESPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN !!!

osm

When you say they are expensive to maintain,what are you referring to as far as maintenance?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tires are never cheap...
    Oil changes seem to run high; the cost varies, based upon your dealer's hourly rate for labor.
    But the new 1330 is relatively cheap to maintain, when compared to it's 998 brother!

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep reading all post and learn all about what you need to know here. Good luck and hope to see you at the Oyster run this year,
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Tires are never cheap...
    Oil changes seem to run high; the cost varies, based upon your dealer's hourly rate for labor.
    But the new 1330 is relatively cheap to maintain, when compared to it's 998 brother!

Thanks Bob. I know tires aren't cheap but I wouldn't say that's an expensive upkeep. Do most people take their Spyders in for oil changes or do it themselves? Would think it's cheaper doing it at home. I have a harley and have found out how expensive some things can be. But I did my own oil changes with all my other bikes. Anything other than that ,I would consult with a shop.

Spyder Garage

Are you making a mistake? No.

That is all!
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xBobbyx View Post
    When you say they are expensive to maintain,what are you referring to as far as maintenance?
    There are a few eye openers:

Standard oil change/filter service--about $350

Change out a rear tire--about $350 (including tire)

Valve check service for 998 v twin--about $800

Your price may vary. My dealer does $110 per hour for labor. Doing your own maintenance can save money of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But D, You're in a place where the dealer is the only game in Town...
    I paid about $135 for a tire installed, and my oil changes run less than $125.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But D, You're in a place where the dealer is the only game in Town...
    I paid about $135 for a tire installed, and my oil changes run less than $125.
    There are more posting similar to the prices I did than yours above. I wish the reverse was true.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default No

Hi Griffontamer. I like you am totally new to this whole Spyder thing. I have really liked the look since day 1 but I was never able to convince my husband that we would enjoy one. He'd had motorcycles in his younger years and just felt they were too dangerous. And somehow he just wasn't interested in the 3 wheel variety either. Well unfortunately God took over and I am now on my own. So my gift to myself was a new 2015 F3. I don't even have the endorsement yet that NV requires. I will be taking the local community colleges motorcycle safety couse in 2 weeks. But I live in a large condo complex and I've been tooling around it with the bike and I am in love. The speed limit is 15 so admittedly I'm not going fast enough to feel that but I am hooked !! You will not regret it.

Spyder Garage

Welcome Vega. OP,I had an 09 RSS. Loved it. Only reason I got rid of it is because of the heat. They fixed that now. I did the demo ride on an F3-S se6. Absolutely loved it. My demo guys were great. Got on the highway and opened it up. Never felt anything weird but I'm also use to my Harley. That whole thing shakes. Lol. If you like the F3,don't worry about it. That's what warranties are for. Get it,take care of it and enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

Have a F3 with almost 3k on it. To me, the vibration feels like riding over rumble strips at specific speeds.

For those who have never ridden any other motorcycle before, it can be a quandary. Miss the vibrations on my HD Evo.

Haven't found any mechanical quirks on the F3 yet...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There are more posting similar to the prices I did than yours above. I wish the reverse was true.
    You're right; the truth probably falls somewhere in between...

Spyder Garage

I've got 4500 on mine so far and either mine doesn't have the vibrations, or they don't bother me. Every once in awhile I think I feel it and say "oh maybe that's what they're talking about" but then I accelerate (or decelerate) past it and it's gone. No biggy to me.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Me too . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I've got 4500 on mine so far and either mine doesn't have the vibrations, or they don't bother me. Every once in awhile I think I feel it and say "oh maybe that's what they're talking about" but then I accelerate (or decelerate) past it and it's gone. No biggy to me.
    . . . .

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . .

Tom
    I have 4500+ miles on my F3S se6 and it has a belt vibration between 67-72. Feels like a bit of a rough road. No sweat at all. Go for it and enjoy the ryde (as if anyone wouldn't)