Spyder Garage

Default My DIY LED lighting for $40

Thanks to Phil for the tips.

I decided to add some lighting but did not want to add to the top sides just the bottom.

I found on ebay an entire LED strip kit for about $40.
    It came with two 16' rolls of RGB LED. These are 5050 60 LED count, ip65 waterproof and came with remote and driver.
    I only needed about 3/4 of one roll.

Now this was a hard project! You have to know how to solder. You have to buy connectors and wire. You have to plan it all out so things can be unplugged for service! The project took me all day.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Here is the short version of the above video showing just the lighting and how it works.

This is for those that don't want to hear me babble on about the how too's as in the above video

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome..!!

Really looks great. Lot of work but worth it if you want a very cool set up. Congrats on the job and videos...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Great work Bob!

You're correct about the planning and plenty of connectors! I have loads of hand schematics over the years to keep me sane!

One of my tricks is to run 'bus' wires along the frame and then tap on to it where needed. On DARTH II, there are 3 zones of RGB, so there are 3 sets of 4 conductor wires that run around the frame. Depending on the zone I wanted for the windshield, or the clear wings, or under the pike, etc... I use Positaps to tap onto the wire set needed. The frame wiring virtually never needs to be removed, and Positaps make it easy to disconnect things if needed. All 4 sets of wires source from the left saddlebag where all of the controllers live.

Then again, sometimes I just get tired and cheat!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Great work Bob!

You're correct about the planning and plenty of connectors! I have loads of hand schematics over the years to keep me sane!

One of my tricks is to run 'bus' wires along the frame and then tap on to it where needed. On DARTH II, there are 3 zones of RGB, so there are 3 sets of 4 conductor wires that run around the frame. Depending on the zone I wanted for the windshield, or the clear wings, or under the pike, etc... I use Positaps to tap onto the wire set needed. The frame wiring virtually never needs to be removed, and Positaps make it easy to disconnect things if needed. All 4 sets of wires source from the left saddlebag where all of the controllers live.

Then again, sometimes I just get tired and cheat!
    Yes basically I have one long wire running from the controller under the passenger grip up to just in front of the fog light. On that end I have 4 connectors. The 4 connectors then allow you to unplug the frunk, unplug the left or right struts, and unplug the bottom frame LED strip. So basically I have a buss line running up the left side. I can also add more there by making pig-tails that would plug in between the existing 4 connectors.

Also water proof connectors are very expensive. So I used cheap AMP connectors and water proofed them myself with RTV.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Did you just peel and stick them here and there under the bike? Instead of just running the 16' around, you cut it into smaller pieces to do a neater job of it? You mention connectors, did you use the "made for them" from Ebay or just use something else? I picked up 3 rolls of the strips, so mine should look like a Xmas tree.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Did you just peel and stick them here and there under the bike? Instead of just running the 16' around, you cut it into smaller pieces to do a neater job of it? You mention connectors, did you use the "made for them" from Ebay or just use something else? I picked up 3 rolls of the strips, so mine should look like a Xmas tree.
    I cut the strips to the lengths I needed and soldered cables to them. I then put Silicon sealant over the solder pads on the strips and then put heat shrink tube over that. When the heat shrink tube "shrunk" when I heated it, the silicon oozed out. This made sure the solder connections were water tight.

I did use the sticky double side tape they came with but this did not stick well enough for my liking. On the struts I also secured them with tie wraps.
    Where I stuck the strips to flat surfaces (like the skid plate and bottom of the frame) I followed up on each side of the strips with silicon sealant and my finger. Kind of like calking around a shower tub. This was just to make sure they did not come off easily.

As for the connectors I went to a Electronics store and bough 4 pin connectors. The cheapest I could find. After putting the pins and wires in, I then sealed the back holes with wires off with silicon to water proof the connectors. This was far cheaper than buying Delphi waterproof connectors!!!!

I did this project back in October just before Halloween and no issues to date.

I will just say.... All the planning, cutting strips, planning the wire runs, solders, adding connectors, etc. Took the entire weekend.
    Most the time was in the planning!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default 15 hours only LED strip

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA...9SIA76H2GT1154

I have these and they work good. There are 44 color remotes, but you really don't need them, this will work fine.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

A great lighting set up. Thanks for the video.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA...9SIA76H2GT1154

I have these and they work good. There are 44 color remotes, but you really don't need them, this will work fine.
    Hey Bill- That product is sold under many names. I've installed it for friends several times and it works very well. For my bike, I wanted Wifi remoting to control it from my phone and the possibility of adding DMX control to it in the future. Hence, I sent a different control direction.

http://vid1188.photobucket.com/album...9BD72A13E5.mp4

Spyder Garage

thanks for the post. nice job!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Phil,very nice! I just bought a 2012 RT with 3800 miles and I am doing some up grades,I like your Floor Boards,what kind are they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk