Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Looks like our group is attracted to Muncho. We stayed at the Double G at the south end of town and enjoyed a prime rib with all the fixings. We did gas up at the lodge, but it was definitely much classier than our humble abode.

Today, no pics as we raced down I15 from Cocteau to Salt Lake, 605 miles. A huge thank you goes out to Ultimate Seats, way to go Des. If all goes well we should be home tomorrow night.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    Looks like our group is attracted to Muncho. We stayed at the Double G at the south end of town and enjoyed a prime rib with all the fixings. We did gas up at the lodge, but it was definitely much classier than our humble abode.

Today, no pics as we raced down I15 from Cocteau to Salt Lake, 605 miles. A huge thank you goes out to Ultimate Seats, way to go Des. If all goes well we should be home tomorrow night.
    Good thing you guys were not there yesterday. I understand that they had quite a big rain storm yesterday .
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Made it home today

After a four delay in Juno we finally made it back to Chelan today. The ferry broke down and they had to fly a tech and parts in. Total miles for us was 4,107. Time to give the Spyder a bath.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fred-WA View Post
    After a four delay in Juno we finally made it back to Chelan today. The ferry broke down and they had to fly a tech and parts in. Total miles for us was 4,107. Time to give the Spyder a bath.

So did you enjoy your stay in Juneau? Did you stay on the ferry or did you get a hotel?
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    So did you enjoy your stay in Juneau? Did you stay on the ferry or did you get a hotel?
    That's also what I was wondering. Being stuck in a place with lodging covered might not be so bad. What did you do there?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not home yet, but as I ryde I think of things/observations that haven't made it into other posts along the way:

Kilometer posts were every km around Whitehorse. Today I noticed they were only every 5 km. Then as I neared Fort St. John, there weren't any at all. I had been using them to judge how far I was from my destination, based on the mileage signs.

One goes many, many, many miles (or km) on the Alaska Highway without seeing any official signs - highway designation, mileage, etc. At one point I realized it had been a long time since I'd seen any signs, I began to think I was in some episode of the Twilight Zone, ryding down an endless 2-lane road, not sure if I was even still on the road I'd started out on.

There is at least one herd of wild horses near Whitehorse. As I neared the turn-off for Mukluk, I saw a horse grazing on the highway right-of-way. I noted the km marker and decided to ask them at Mukluk who they call when someone's livestock gets loose. (At home, we'd call the sheriff's office and they'd move the animals to a pasture and notify the landowner to sort it out with his neighbors.) Then in just a couple km, I saw a young woman on horseback and leading another horse. I stopped and told her about the other horse, thinking she must have been gathering them up. But she said it was a wild horse and not hers. The folks at Mukluk confirmed this and said there are at least one herd of wild horses in the area.

Every time I go by a Subway sign, I think of Dave.

More later as I think of it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Chicken AK to Carmack Yukon

IMO Chicken was worth the stop. Gold mining/panning is active and apparently profitable based on a couple large set ups we saw. There is what I label the recreational gold seeker who stays for a short while seeking some fun and a few nuggets to the serious, large seeker who is sluicing tons of rock from the river. Even passed a truck hauling a very large piece of such equipment into a gold camp. The Top of the World road is a very well maintained "primitive" dirt road. We saw lots of caribou poop and pee and eventually after crossing into Yukon spotted them. We learned this is the "local " herd and cannot be hunted..was almost wiped out but is now coming back with about 400 animals in the herd. They are smaller and darker than the northern herds that migrate upwards of 40,000 caribou. Dawson City was reached via a free ferry ride across the Yukon River. The town, like so many of the smaller towns, are doing a good job at building their tourism industry. From there we saw more evidence of river gold mining. 300 miles of dirty, dusty roads. Adventure bikes have nothing on Spyders we can match them in the dirt look!! We are staying at a bed n breakfast that is unique in the breakfast is in your room. Won't make Fodor review. Wonder bread and doz eggs to cook with fruit loops. Clean comfortable utilitarian today our destination will be Watson Lake Air Force motel. With lots of World War 2 history

Spyder Garage

Default Stayed on Ferry

Round trip taxie was $80 so we stayed on the ferry mostly. Should of had Joe there to fix their engine. Four days to repair was excessive😰

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    That's also what I was wondering. Being stuck in a place with lodging covered might not be so bad. What did you do there?
    And the location where the Alaska State Ferry docks is 13 miles outside of town -- a long taxi ride. Only the mega cruise ships get to dock downtown right where you want to be.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Round trip taxie was $80 so we stayed on the ferry mostly. Should of had Joe there to fix their engine. Four days to repair was excessive😰
    They must get their parts from Can-Am.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They must get their parts from Can-Am.
    What?? BRP didn't fly a tech in to work on your Spyder??

Spyder Garage

Default The Brit is back!

Helen made it too, although this was our toughest day. Started in Salt Lake this morning with a light drizzle that became a downpour near Bryce Canyon and ended up with 100' temps in Phoenix, 653 miles later. And yes, it was a dry heat

In all, we traveled 8,622 miles in the 25 days we were on the road, an average of 345 miles/day. Good to be home, but we have great memories of locations, sights and particularly people. I will echo Anne's sentiments regarding the group and our gracious hosts, Dwayne and Linda, none better. Many thanks to Karyl for all the effort she put into making this a perfect ryde. When is the next one!!!!!!!
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    Helen made it too, although this was our toughest day. Started in Salt Lake this morning with a light drizzle that became a downpour near Bryce Canyon and ended up with 100' temps in Phoenix, 653 miles later. And yes, it was a dry heat

In all, we traveled 8,622 miles in the 25 days we were on the road, an average of 345 miles/day. Good to be home, but we have great memories of locations, sights and particularly people. I will echo Anne's sentiments regarding the group and our gracious hosts, Dwayne and Linda, none better. Many thanks to Karyl for all the effort she put into making this a perfect ryde. When is the next one!!!!!!!
    George, I'm glad you guys made it home. I'm thinking that the next epic adventure should be the Owner's Event in Valcourt, Quebec in 2017. If we head north we can ride across Canada hit the event and maybe go further east for the heck of it.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

George, I'm glad you guys made it home. I'm thinking that the next epic adventure should be the Owner's Event in Valcourt, Quebec in 2017. If we head north we can ride across Canada hit the event and maybe go further east for the heck of it.
    Old Quebec City and Nova Scotia (for sure the east end--Cape Breton) should be on the itinerary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could meet you in Sask or Manitoba.

Spyder Garage

Default Or...

BRP owners event in the redwoods! Like next month! Maybe not epic, but, a great rally! I believe all our NTA crew should come! We will be there!
    glad you made it home, George and Helen! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Old Quebec City and Nova Scotia (for sure the east end--Cape Breton) should be on the itinerary.
    Yes, Nova Scotia and the Cape Breton area -- the famous Cabot Trail. Be sure to do it counterclockwise so you're in the outside lane -- best views of the coastline, cliffs and beaches.

Problem is, most people end their trips there. Don't do that. Continue on to Newfoundland. Been there twice on the Gold Wing and it is fantastic. Five-hour ferry from the eastern end of Nova Scotia (Sydney/North Sydney to Port Aux Basques) to get there but it is well worth it. Just outstanding. Now we need to get back there again on the RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    BRP owners event in the redwoods! Like next month! Maybe not epic, but, a great rally! I believe all our NTA crew should come! We will be there!

Next month? Too soon! From Kansas that would be semi-epic and Alaska was enough epic for me for this year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you're saving some "epic" for next year?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So you're saving some "epic" for next year?
    By December or January, i'll probably be ready for another epic trip. NtA was over a year in planning and anticipation.

Spyder Garage

Default ?

Couple days there, 4 day rally, couple days home! Piece of cake!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Couple days there, 4 day rally, couple days home! Piece of cake!
    Joe,

It would be fun, but some of us no longer have any vacation left

Anyways you and Ann will be working the whole time so we would not see much of you two.

Hopefully next year we can get together!

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Anne,

The owner's event would be a great idea, but 2017? Who knows what can happen between now and then. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to hop onto my adventure bike and spend a few days in Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Default Redwoods

I will be there and I have been to Alaska but that was in 2006.....did you get into any chip seal I warned you about?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lwrydr View Post
    I will be there and I have been to Alaska but that was in 2006.....did you get into any chip seal I warned you about?
    Chip seal is for amateurs. We had 50 kilometers of unpaved road which was rutted and quite dusty when we were headed northbound and wet and slick on our return.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622