Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Steve ( BRP ) Is there anything we can do to reinstate air flow to driver & passenger ? Thank you in advance.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    Some of my customers are lawyers so I know I have to get fix or give up all my rights toward this issue. So I wonder if u will mod your 2012 with this fix
    I want to see them first, I may do this. Many of the people I ride with have 2013 RT's and I will get a good look at it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I cannot tell from the pics posted if the trim on the new scoops is gloss black or chrome. Perhaps BRPCARES could clarify.
    The new side body panels are black.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 05-27-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

According to the ODI website it appears to be the Investigation Subject: Motorcycle Fire. Again neither here nor there, but in reading the ODI website and looking up my VIN, I have to say again I don't believe ODI would close the investigation if they did not feel the solution would solve the problem and in reading the ODI Resume posted on their website with a closing date of 5/22/2015. It is a good read for all the 2013 owners out there, to me pretty comprehensive and explains background, ODI Activity, the two fires, their tests, and their conclusion and closure.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daviszoo1 View Post
    Also would there be any consideration on what we had done on our part to help with the heat issue; (wrap the pipes & adding insulation). Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Hi daviszoo1,

Yes. Please keep all receipts related to any work performed on your Spyder RT done with the intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment. When you visit your dealer to have the recall work performed, your dealer will notify us and be made aware of the procedure to follow, if any, to have this addressed. Note that only modifications performed with the specific intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment will be considered for compensation.
    Steve,

This is GREAT news, and should go a long way toward regaining customer satisfaction and loyalty. Please pass my thanks for this, in advance, to the powers that be, at BRP.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not for nothing... But you haven't actually had the recall work done on your bike yet; have you?
    So why are you yelling that, "The Sky Is Falling!"?
    Give it a chance... then, you can complain!
    I agree give it a chance!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

The noise level will not change significantly - it's entirely possible that a slight change might be perceived but still well within norms.

Your dealer should still be able to install the update.

BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.

Yes, see above.

No fuel consumption increase is to be expected.
    We have the bike scheduled for next week. Will ask for assistance if things do not go well. Will just have to see how this goes I suppose. Will report back.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    (We have GOT to get some feedback, from folks with the affected bikes. )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    It would've been nice if BRP at least made the panel a one piece replacement with the scoop built in for a more finished look and painted to match. For the price we all paid this surely isn't asking too much. What happens if the dealer does a poor job of install and an new panel has to ordered? Who will pick-up the cost for the new panel? How many attempts does the dealer get? In the end we all must risk the panel being cut and the tech getting it right the first time. Do we get an option to have it done over if we are not happy with the workmanship? After all its not being done by a body shop that has years of expertise installing these types of add-on's. I hope Steve can shed some light on these concerns.
    I can tell you that, in the past, when my dealer has "broken something" in the course of a repair, BRP has stood behind them and supplied necessary parts to make it right and the dealer has fixed it. I think that's a fairly standard procedure. I would guess that there is no reason to assume otherwise in this case.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

The new side body panels are black.
    The fix seems fairly comprehensive and I personally feel that it will help the heat issues, if done correctly. Being an ex aircraft mechanic, I worry about the quality control and inspection of the work. Is BRP doing anything to insure that the work being done is to the letter of the law, such as performing inspections etc... It seems that one mistake in routing of a hose or incorrectly torqueing a bolt can be detrimental. Reality is that not all dealers are created equal, hopefully no corners are cut, but I believe in "Trust, but Verify".

Spyder Garage

You know owning a 2013 RT, I actually like the scoops, I actually like that they are black. I personally believe the front of the bike has always been lacking a more aggressive stance, hopefully this adds to it. I have encountered the boiling gas, I have encountered the fumes, I have encountered the heat, I am hoping after next week, I no longer encounter any of these??? From reading all the documentation I just hope and pray that all of the fixes resolves all these issues and honestly, I cannot wait to get it done so we can all get back to more important issues like routes to ride... It is a shame that it seems that some of you might not have the faith in your dealer like I do. The guys at the dealer since the day I bought mine both in service and sales have treated me like I own the place and I am truly grateful to those guys. I know the service manager and I have conversed numerous times in the years since I purchased the bike. They are a 3 hour plus drive for me to visit, but I continue to take my machine to them because we have a good relationship and honestly they have always stood right behind it and seem to know what is going on...
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Not even fixed yet and...complaints. Can't you just get the fix and see what it's like? You might have a great bike soon.
    [This is NOT specifically addressed to Highwayman]

Folks have different issues and different concerns, depending on their own situations. Everyone's case is a little different. Now that the details are out, there are going to be those who are disappointed over this or that. And they will need to vent and express their concerns. And some concerns will be very valid points. I have some concerns, myself, as well as some disappointments after reading the details on the fix - doesn't mean I don't appreciate what BRP has done. BRP understands this, I'm sure. (Which is obviously one reason that they did not want to leak specifics until the fix was in the dealer's hands.)

My [admittedly unsolicited] advice to all would be to let folks comment, complain, ask questions, and vent as they need to, and try not to call them on it. The transition should go a lot more smoothly that way - at least here on the forum.

(My 2 cents)
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-27-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post

Folks have different issues and different concerns, depending on their own situations. Everyone's case is a little different. Now that the details are out, there are going to be those who are disappointed over this or that. And they will need to vent and express their concerns. And some concerns will be very valid points. I have some concerns, myself, as well as some disappointments after reading the details on the fix - doesn't mean I don't appreciate what BRP has done. BRP understands this, I'm sure. (Which is obviously one reason that they did not want to leak specifics until the fix was in the dealer's hands.)

My [admittedly unsolicited] advice to all would be to let folks comment, complain, ask questions, and vent as they need to, and try not to call them on it. The transition should go a lot more smoothly that way - at least here on the forum.

(My 2 cents)
    I actually feel the fix will help and applaud BRP, but being in the business I am in, I can't help but to be concerned about the way BRP handled dissemination of the information. I have received recall notices from Ford, Toyota, Nissan etc.. and never once have I had the dealer say as some have posted "that they new nothing of the fix". I believe BRP stated that the fix was released to the dealers the same time it was released to the public. This is not being proactive. If I was a dealer I would be upset that I had customers come in for repairs due to a safety recall and I was not fully informed beforehand.

Spyder Garage

(My 2 cents)
    I agree, I am not in their boat as I have a 2012. Lets just wait and see how things work out, like I said earlier those with 2013 RT's may come out with a great bike.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 05-27-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barryj View Post
    I purchased a 2013 from a dealer in North Jersey and wonder how long it will be before the dealer has the parts and can release it to me. Not looking forward to a summer without riding!! Sold my 2 wheeler in anticipation of having this resolved.....

I also have the 2013 RT and have been riding it in triple digit temps in Texas plus it's a black bike - black currant. Yes, it gets a little warm but you can ride it. Hope your dealer gets the parts quickly but enjoy your riding season!

Spyder Garage

(My 2 cents)
    Thank you for this Robmorg, some folks comments sound as if we should not have concerns or thoughts. Some of these don't even own a 2013 . Do hope all will work out in the end . we love our RT Limited !

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just Now

Spoke with my dealer and they have the parts ordered and they are on the way. Should be ready by this weekend! Thanks BRP for working hard on a resolution to some peoples concerns. We have been fortunate that our heat issues are not as bad as some (or we are more tolerant) and I see nothing wrong with the design of the new panels. So we are looking forward to the fix. BTW our dealer said that they were made aware of the fix yesterday, and quite frankly they were aware of it before I was. So if your dealer doesn't know anything yet....maybe it's time for a new dealer!

Thanks BRP!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ekfraz View Post
    My dealer cannot schedule me in until they get notice from BRP it is Wild West in Katy 281/392-8940 so if anyone from BRP reads this please call them.
    Dan is aware, he has order parts as of yesterday.(Tuesday) He will do the two he has in the show case first so he knows how to do them before he starts working on customers. Hang in there, it is being handled just will take a bit of time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Well with the announcement just being released this morning, any conversations held prior have no bearing at this point. We have a call in to Mancuso on scheduling Louise bike in. No info so far, they are checking on it ..... I won't hold my breath. Will post back if we get things moving.

Is the actual notice and the recall instructions available anywhere for full details? Just interested on where this is going. We plan to get the work done regardless and see how things turn out. Just want to know what Mancuso will be doing with the bike. I will need to thoroughly recheck everything on return. My history with them is not favorable.
    Maccuso SUCKS, I have had nothing but problems after problems with that company!!! Good luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that update...
    "Patience Is the one virtue, that none of us can wait to acquire."

Spyder Garage

Default Question for Steve @ BRP

Steve,

First, thanks for keeping us owners updated in such a timely manner. No matter what individual concerns we have, we all appreciate that.

But here's my question.... As you know, the heat issue with the 2013 RT's has effected owners in two ways. First, there is the the more serious issue of the overheating fuel and all of the negative consequences of that issue. And secondly there is the issue of rider discomfort. Both were addressed in the remarks from the NHSTA. After reading the Warranty Bulletin in detail, I have to agree that it looks like the first issue has hopefully been successfully addressed. Also the new design of the air scoops and the removal of the acoustic panels may indeed help some with the heat coming up around the seat, which has been burning riders legs. We'll know that soon enough.

But could you please address the right foot heat issue that is so prominent on the 2013 RT's (as you can tell from other posts in this thread)? There doesn't seem to be anything in the current campaign to address this issue. I was pretty sure that the campaign would include reversing fans and/or re-positioning of the radiators, like on the newer models, but it seems that consideration was rejected. Can you tell us a little about why that might be, and if you expect further consideration of this issue from BRP?

Thanks. Awaiting your reply.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

My dealership is waiting for the tools and parts, should be the 1st of the week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lamonster View Post
    I also have the 2013 RT and have been riding it in triple digit temps in Texas plus it's a black bike - black currant. Yes, it gets a little warm but you can ride it. Hope your dealer gets the parts quickly but enjoy your riding season!

I'm with you Lady Lamonster <smiles>. It gets purdy hot here in Flarda and admittedly my 2013 RT-S spyder with 23,000 miles gets warm too. However, it is not unbearable even in the hot Flarda temps that we get as well. I don't see anything solving the hot right foot problem when it is just behind (or in front if you will) of the bottom right "torch" hole. (save putting a block there). Now that there will be ventillation going into the cavity of the spyder I will put a block on that hole.

​Chris

Spyder Garage

if i understand the bulletin right??? they are going to remove some plastic components behind the motor so heat can escape, right. now if this is part of the fix, than riding along the heat will be pushed out. but what about slow speeds and stop and go traffic with a second rider on the bike. will the heat rise up and bother the passenger as they sit on the back seat and their feet on the rear pegs.

please let me know i i understood this right and if you think the heat will bother the passenger. thanks
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME