Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Exclamation 2013 RT Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment - Safety Campaign

Hi everyone,

The Safety Campaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway. If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiple updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.

BRP has requested that your dealer contact you, and we have also sent a letter to all known registered owners. However, we ask that you do not wait and call your dealer to schedule an appointment for this procedure.

In the meantime, you can keep using your Can-Am Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

• Avoid idling or slow traffic riding for a long period of time.
    • Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride; let your vehicle cool down first.
    • Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

For any other questions related to this campaign, please post them here.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 05-26-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added website link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!!
    Okay gang; who has anything to report?

(Oh! I am also VERY happy that I was completely wrong on the date of this announcement!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quite a few 2013 owners on Facebook have reported getting the letter but when they called their dealer, the dealer was not aware of it. This was just this past weeks conversations.

So looks like the dealers need some time to get tuned into this.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

A little lacking in details if you ask me.

Spyder Garage

Well with the announcement just being released this morning, any conversations held prior have no bearing at this point. We have a call in to Mancuso on scheduling Louise bike in. No info so far, they are checking on it ..... I won't hold my breath. Will post back if we get things moving.

Is the actual notice and the recall instructions available anywhere for full details? Just interested on where this is going. We plan to get the work done regardless and see how things turn out. Just want to know what Mancuso will be doing with the bike. I will need to thoroughly recheck everything on return. My history with them is not favorable.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Well with the announcement just being released this morning, any conversations held prior have no bearing at this point. We have a call in to Mancuso on scheduling Louise bike in. No info so far, they are checking on it ..... I won't hold my breath. Will post back if we get things moving.

Is the actual notice and the recall instructions available anywhere for full details? Just interested on where this is going. We plan to get the work done regardless and see how things turn out. Just want to know what Mancuso will be doing with the bike. I will need to thoroughly recheck everything on return. My history with them is not favorable.
    Maccuso SUCKS, I have had nothing but problems after problems with that company!!! Good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hapyisme View Post
    Maccuso SUCKS, I have had nothing but problems after problems with that company!!! Good luck

I have had problems in the past as well. SW location is the worst for Spyders. Mancuso owns all the BRP dealerships in Houston. There is also one in Katy and one in Conroe that do not get any better reviews. For this work, and if it goes well my first service on the F3 are going to Mancuso North were several others have had some recent good visits with Spyders. There really are no good options here unless you travel some distance out of town.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default heat

My dealer cannot schedule me in until they get notice from BRP it is Wild West in Katy 281/392-8940 so if anyone from BRP reads this please call them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HEAT

I just called the dealer where I bought ours in pa and he stated that he could order the parts but brp didn't send them the tool to do it. We are moving south in 3 weeks so I guess I will have to wait until we get there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ekfraz View Post
    My dealer cannot schedule me in until they get notice from BRP it is Wild West in Katy 281/392-8940 so if anyone from BRP reads this please call them.
    Dan is aware, he has order parts as of yesterday.(Tuesday) He will do the two he has in the show case first so he knows how to do them before he starts working on customers. Hang in there, it is being handled just will take a bit of time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that update...
    "Patience Is the one virtue, that none of us can wait to acquire."

Spyder Garage

Default Question for Steve @ BRP

Steve,

First, thanks for keeping us owners updated in such a timely manner. No matter what individual concerns we have, we all appreciate that.

But here's my question.... As you know, the heat issue with the 2013 RT's has effected owners in two ways. First, there is the the more serious issue of the overheating fuel and all of the negative consequences of that issue. And secondly there is the issue of rider discomfort. Both were addressed in the remarks from the NHSTA. After reading the Warranty Bulletin in detail, I have to agree that it looks like the first issue has hopefully been successfully addressed. Also the new design of the air scoops and the removal of the acoustic panels may indeed help some with the heat coming up around the seat, which has been burning riders legs. We'll know that soon enough.

But could you please address the right foot heat issue that is so prominent on the 2013 RT's (as you can tell from other posts in this thread)? There doesn't seem to be anything in the current campaign to address this issue. I was pretty sure that the campaign would include reversing fans and/or re-positioning of the radiators, like on the newer models, but it seems that consideration was rejected. Can you tell us a little about why that might be, and if you expect further consideration of this issue from BRP?

Thanks. Awaiting your reply.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks!!
    Okay gang; who has anything to report?

(Oh! I am also VERY happy that I was completely wrong on the date of this announcement!)
    ...and I'm very happy that you did not accept my bet. Because I'd have been wronger.
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

The Safety Camapaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway. If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiples updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.

BRP has requested that your dealer contact you, and we have also sent a letter to all known registered owners. However, we ask that you do not wait and call your dealer to schedule an appointment for this procedure.

In the meantime, you can keep using your Can-Am Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

• Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride; let your vehicle cool down first.
    • Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

I have a 2013 Spyder Rt that I bought used a week ago. It has 5,200+ miles on it and the dealer in Central Ohio I bought it from said there was not a recall per my vin number. What's up with this, are all 2013 RT's under this recall?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    I have a 2013 Spyder Rt that I bought used a week ago. It has 5,200+ miles on it and the dealer in Central Ohio I bought it from said there was not a recall per my vin number. What's up with this, are all 2013 RT's under this recall?
    Hi sliderrj,

Yes, all 2013 RT models are included under this recall; as the campaign was just made live this morning it might not have shown up on your vehicle at the time of purchase.

Spyder Garage

Steve @ BRPCare,

Can you throw out some photos of the new body panels, for us to get a look at. Let us see what is changing. Thanks
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sure BRP published something on BOSSweb for all dealers to see.

Maybe BRP is willing to post this Tech Bulletin?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Perhaps you are sure

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am sure BRP published something on BOSSweb for all dealers to see.

Maybe BRP is willing to post this Tech Bulletin?

Bob
    but if I were you, I would not bet the house on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    Steve @ BRPCare,

Can you throw out some photos of the new body panels, for us to get a look at. Let us see what is changing. Thanks
    Hi arsquatch,

Regarding the body panel portion of the campaign, you can expect to see something like this:

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

THANKS STEVE, that is what I had anticipate. It made the only logical sense. I actually like it and do not think it will detract from the look of the bike. Cool...
    Last edited by arsquatch; 05-26-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They appear to be reminiscent of the ones offered by Vertika...
    I think that CuznJohn was on the right track!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-26-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

I was fearful of how this would go, looks wise. I think those new scoops or air inlets actually look pretty darn good. Look forward to getting them. Being black, they do not need various color ones and they complement the overall look pretty well.

At least for this piece, it seems its nicely done.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi arsquatch,

Regarding the body panel portion of the campaign, you can expect to see something like this:

Ok is BRP
    going to refund the money I spent on the adjustable reflectors I bought?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Hi arsquatch,

Wow these look cool. it will definitely get some fresh air to my JT air kit! I'm just wondering how the honey comb intake will filter out the big ole yellow TEXAS grass hoppers! I have an appointment to get mine fixed with my dealer Monday the 8th. Hope these mods will keep from cooking my jewels!!! This machine with the heat and oil leaks remind me of my ole 72 shovel head!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How much temp drop

Steve,
    can you provide how much temperature drop your team measured on you test vehicle(s)?
    Does BRP have enough parts to all the RTs affected?

Thanks
    Jetmech
    Hi everyone,

The Safety Campaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway. If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiple updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.