Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation 2013 RT Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment - Safety Campaign

Hi everyone,

The Safety Campaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway. If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiple updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.

BRP has requested that your dealer contact you, and we have also sent a letter to all known registered owners. However, we ask that you do not wait and call your dealer to schedule an appointment for this procedure.

In the meantime, you can keep using your Can-Am Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

• Avoid idling or slow traffic riding for a long period of time.
    • Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride; let your vehicle cool down first.
    • Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

For any other questions related to this campaign, please post them here.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 05-26-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added website link
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!!
    Okay gang; who has anything to report?

(Oh! I am also VERY happy that I was completely wrong on the date of this announcement!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quite a few 2013 owners on Facebook have reported getting the letter but when they called their dealer, the dealer was not aware of it. This was just this past weeks conversations.

So looks like the dealers need some time to get tuned into this.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

A little lacking in details if you ask me.

Spyder Garage

Well with the announcement just being released this morning, any conversations held prior have no bearing at this point. We have a call in to Mancuso on scheduling Louise bike in. No info so far, they are checking on it ..... I won't hold my breath. Will post back if we get things moving.

Is the actual notice and the recall instructions available anywhere for full details? Just interested on where this is going. We plan to get the work done regardless and see how things turn out. Just want to know what Mancuso will be doing with the bike. I will need to thoroughly recheck everything on return. My history with them is not favorable.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default heat

My dealer cannot schedule me in until they get notice from BRP it is Wild West in Katy 281/392-8940 so if anyone from BRP reads this please call them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

The Safety Camapaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway. If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiples updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.

BRP has requested that your dealer contact you, and we have also sent a letter to all known registered owners. However, we ask that you do not wait and call your dealer to schedule an appointment for this procedure.

In the meantime, you can keep using your Can-Am Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

• Avoid idling or slow traffic riding for a long period of time.
    • Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride; let your vehicle cool down first.
    • Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

For any other questions related to this campaign, please post them here.
    I have a 2013 Spyder Rt that I bought used a week ago. It has 5,200+ miles on it and the dealer in Central Ohio I bought it from said there was not a recall per my vin number. What's up with this, are all 2013 RT's under this recall?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HEAT

I just called the dealer where I bought ours in pa and he stated that he could order the parts but brp didn't send them the tool to do it. We are moving south in 3 weeks so I guess I will have to wait until we get there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    I have a 2013 Spyder Rt that I bought used a week ago. It has 5,200+ miles on it and the dealer in Central Ohio I bought it from said there was not a recall per my vin number. What's up with this, are all 2013 RT's under this recall?
    Hi sliderrj,

Yes, all 2013 RT models are included under this recall; as the campaign was just made live this morning it might not have shown up on your vehicle at the time of purchase.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Steve @ BRPCare,

Can you throw out some photos of the new body panels, for us to get a look at. Let us see what is changing. Thanks
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I am sure BRP published something on BOSSweb for all dealers to see.

Maybe BRP is willing to post this Tech Bulletin?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    Steve @ BRPCare,

Can you throw out some photos of the new body panels, for us to get a look at. Let us see what is changing. Thanks
    Hi arsquatch,

Regarding the body panel portion of the campaign, you can expect to see something like this:

Attached Images Attached Images
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

THANKS STEVE, that is what I had anticipate. It made the only logical sense. I actually like it and do not think it will detract from the look of the bike. Cool...
    Last edited by arsquatch; 05-26-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They appear to be reminiscent of the ones offered by Vertika...
    I think that CuznJohn was on the right track!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-26-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I was fearful of how this would go, looks wise. I think those new scoops or air inlets actually look pretty darn good. Look forward to getting them. Being black, they do not need various color ones and they complement the overall look pretty well.

At least for this piece, it seems its nicely done.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Steve,

What will be the man hours involved in getting this done once the goes in the shop?

Frank

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Steve,
    What will be the man hours involved in getting this done once the goes in the shop?
    Frank
    Hi Commander,

The entire update should take approximately 4 hours to complete from start to finish.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Default How Long before it is distributed to dealers?

Hi Commander,

The entire update should take approximately 4 hours to complete from start to finish.
    I purchased a 2013 from a dealer in North Jersey and wonder how long it will be before the dealer has the parts and can release it to me. Not looking forward to a summer without riding!! Sold my 2 wheeler in anticipation of having this resolved.....

Spyder Garage

I can see an aftermarket thing already once those scoops are on!

Adjustable air deflectors (that look good) to give the rider some air. I personally like mine and use them all the time.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barryj View Post
    I purchased a 2013 from a dealer in North Jersey and wonder how long it will be before the dealer has the parts and can release it to me.
    Hi barryj,

Required parts for the campaign are currently available and will be shipped to dealers upon request. Get in touch with your dealer to set an appointment.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Hi Commander,

My dealer said that they do not have the parts, because BRP did not send them the parts. Shouldn't the dealers and BRP be in better communication? The dealer said to call back in mid June. Do the dealers have to request the parts before BRP sends them out? The dealer didn't seem to be very informed about the recall.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ericauz View Post
    My dealer said that they do not have the parts, because BRP did not send them the parts. Shouldn't the dealers and BRP be in better communication? The dealer said to call back in mid June. Do the dealers have to request the parts before BRP sends them out? The dealer didn't seem to be very informed about the recall.
    See post #20. The dealer has to request the parts.

Spyder Garage

Driving to dealer now ... ETA 15 min... to schedule.

Spyder Garage

The air induction panels on my 13 ST made all the difference in the world on my bike so I'm sure this will fix your RT's too!!!
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Default Just to be sure.

Hi barryj,

Required parts for the campaign are currently available and will be shipped to dealers upon request. Get in touch with your dealer to set an appointment.
    Was this remedy for Campaign 13v386000 Service Brakes (master cylinder)