Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Project - Midland CB, SR10, Spyder's PTT

OK folks, I get asked this like once a week!
    How to use an after market CB (usually Midland 75-822) and the Spyder's PTT button!
    I guess I get asked this all the time because the BRP CB is not that great.

So working with Motorcycle Dave, I am going to get a CB setup going that uses the Spyder's PTT button.
    In fact thanks to another guy (spacetiger), it looks as though getting at the Spyder's PTT button should be easier than expected.
    It does not go through the canbuss but is in fact wired directly to the RT's radio which then goes out RD02 connector to the ENT harness and CB.
    So this project should be doable without too much hassle and just a custom cable. No a ENT harness won't be needed

This project will enable the following:
    Midland 75-822 CB.
    Sena SR10 which allows your Bluetooth headsets to work with a 2 way radio.
    Custom cable I make which plugs into the Spyder's radio.

Now I have some question for folks as preferences for the setup.

Where would you mount the CB itself if you have a choice?

Options I am thinking of:
    In the trunk with the SR10.
    Up on the dash somewhere with the SR10.

Complications and why I ask:
    The Sena cable that goes from the SR10 to the CB is not very long. Thus mounting the SR10 in the trunk would mean the CB would have to be in the trunk. Thus access to the CB for changing things (channels, volume, squelch, etc) while in the trunk is not convenient. Does this matter much?

We could make a long cable that goes from the SR10 mounted in the trunk to the CB mounted at the dash but this would be totally custom and expensive due to the odd connectors Sena uses and shielding requirements. Making a custom cable could run about $50.

The cheaper option if you want the CB on the dash, would be the SR10 has to be mounted up with the radio. Obviously this can make things look a little crowded at the dash. One thing Dave and I probably won't be doing is making any mounting system for doing this up at the dash. Folks will have to be on their own for mounting. But I will have some suggestions when I do this project.

Obviously the cable I make to get at the PTT button will be different depending on the preference on where to mount the SR10. Dash or Trunk.

Anyway, looking for some input from folks that would be interested in this one I have a cable done.

Thanks,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default PTT for Yaesu

Not using a CB here but a Yaesu FTM-350 VHF/UHF Amateur Radio mobile rig. The remote control head will go on the handlebars and the radio chassis will be mounted on the right wall of the top trunk. The Sena SR-10 will be stuck to the front wall of the top trunk and I was planning on running the SR-10's supplied remote PTT button up to the handlebars via an extension cable. I would much rather use the Spyder's PTT switch connected to the SR-10.

So all I need is a cable to go from the Spyder's PTT switch to the SR-10's PTT input jack.

Thanks!

Charles WA5VHU
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This my setup on my 2015 RT
    .The cable from SR10 to midland CB is not that long so mounting SR10 in rear trunk cannot be done with present cable. CABLE I REFER TO IS CALLED 2way Radio cable
    I have been mounting my SR10 with provided rubber strap on left handle bars. I tried mounting the SR10 to the CB with a rubber strap as in the picture but I felt too cluttered on the left side of the handlebars. It felt that the SR10 was in my face.

It would be great to have a longer cable from SR10 to midland CB to mount SR10 in rear trunk. I have the SR10 PTT button mounted on inside of left hand grip but have to be careful not get in the way of the SE6 paddle shifters
    and down shifting is awkward too.

Using OEM PTT button would be great.Make left hand grip clutter free.
    2WAYRADIO CABLE would need to be longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marker; 05-25-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default cb

I have mounted my SM 10 in the glove box.
    that way I can turn it on/off without thinking too hard.
    when not using the SM 10 i plug in the SHM10 to listen to music.
    i just drilled a hole large enough to pass the plug through. Put a grommet on it.
    I would be interested in the cable once ready.

Ride Safe
    Geo

Spyder Garage

Default CB

I have my 75-822 Midland CB mounted between the handlebars using a ram mount. I have a plug for power beside it and I going to put another plug for the ant. to connect to next to the power plug. I have not bought the SR10 yet. I'm waiting to see what this group comes up with. I hope it will use the OEM PTT switch. Standing by and hoping!!!
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5
    NBV-Pegs
    BajaRon Anti-Sway bars w/ links
    Tricled 3/4 Break Running Lights
    Tricled Mirror turn signals
    J&M rear speaker install

Spyder Garage

When I first setup my midland cb and sr10 I mounted it in the trunk. I did not have an ext ant. The reception was terrible. I ended up with it on the dash and I just put it in the center pocket of my storage pouch I mounted on the dash. Works pretty good. Most of the time I have it zipped all the way shut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Lot of interesting idea/thoughts on here. Sounds a whole lot cheaper the factory, althou I have fair results with the factory. I think I had better with Middleland on the handlebars of a ST1100
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    In fact thanks to another guy (spacetiger), it looks as though getting at the Spyder's PTT button should be easier than expected.
    It does not go through the canbuss but is in fact wired directly to the RT's radio which then goes out RD02 connector to the ENT harness and CB.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Sorry, but spacetiger is mistaken. The PTT does use the CAN. It's pointed out in the manual as well as in the chart at the bottom of the wiring diagram. Check Subsection XX (Controller Area Network) of the service manual. I don't know where he sees a direct wire from PTT to the radio. It's part of the MSL which feeds through to the right side switch, MSR. At least that's what I'm finding for the 2013 RT.

Your best bet is to decipher which connections between the audio unit and CB carry the PTT signal to the CB and use it to operate a relay connected to the handheld PTT input.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Sorry, but spacetiger is mistaken. The PTT does use the CAN. It's pointed out in the manual as well as in the chart at the bottom of the wiring diagram. Check Subsection XX (Controller Area Network) of the service manual. I don't know where he sees a direct wire from PTT to the radio. It's part of the MSL which feeds through to the right side switch, MSR. At least that's what I'm finding for the 2013 RT.

Your best bet is to decipher which connections between the audio unit and CB carry the PTT signal to the CB and use it to operate a relay connected to the handheld PTT input.
    Yes after trying to probe this out yesterday and studying the manual it is CAN. I will be talking with him later today as he says he has it working. So there maybe some pin that puts out a signal when PTT is pressed. But after pouring through material I now have that shows what each PIN is, I cannot find it. I did find 2 pins that are not listed in this info. This weekend I plan to check them.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes after trying to probe this out yesterday and studying the manual it is CAN. I will be talking with him later today as he says he has it working. So there maybe some pin that puts out a signal when PTT is pressed. But after pouring through material I now have that shows what each PIN is, I cannot find it. I did find 2 pins that are not listed in this info. This weekend I plan to check them.

Bob
    I was just thinking. If the CB is not installed will the radio respond at all to a PTT signal? Things are so interconnected that the absence of a component may well disable any and all functions related to that component. If that is the case then there would be no way to capture a PTT signal. If that isn't the case, then figuring out which pin from the radio to the CB carries the PTT signal will be the key to make this idea of using a handheld work.

Coming up with a way to use a handheld CB would only work for those who use BT, right? But that sure would be a huge step forward in overall system functionality. I might even be tempted to ditch the BRP CB and wired headset and go BT!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I was just thinking. If the CB is not installed will the radio respond at all to a PTT signal? Things are so interconnected that the absence of a component may well disable any and all functions related to that component. If that is the case then there would be no way to capture a PTT signal. If that isn't the case, then figuring out which pin from the radio to the CB carries the PTT signal will be the key to make this idea of using a handheld work.

Coming up with a way to use a handheld CB would only work for those who use BT, right? But that sure would be a huge step forward in overall system functionality. I might even be tempted to ditch the BRP CB and wired headset and go BT!
    So based on what I have now done a lot of research on. It's all CAN. Can works like a local area network. Each device has an ID and listens to the network for a command. Per the manual the PTT sends a message to the cluster which is the hub for the network. The cluster then passes this to the radio and the radio then passes this to the CB. If no CB is hooked up the radio will have nothing to pass a message to. So the CB is taking CAN messages for PTT key up passed through the radio. Makes sense as the radio probably needs to take some action and that is to probably stop the music or something....

So maybe what spacetiger found was some pin on the radio that is changing state as the radio processes the CAN message. We shall see. If not, he maybe picking up on the CAN Signal pins that go to the CB as the radio tries to talk to a CB?

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-26-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Well I got my Midland 75-822 today. Nice little radio!

BUT, I cannot even test it because there is simply no CB traffic out there. Been calling for radio checks all day on several well known (well use to be well known) channels and NADA!

Seems the old days of talking to just about anyone on CB are gone. No one is on the thing anymore....

I will take it with me on Monday to work and see if I can at least get a radio check.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I use a midland hand held cb with with a Goldwing headset wired into the Midland headset. I did remove the J &M mic element and use the Midland mic element. No Bluetooth no battery, just simple. ar de W4EH k....
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Well I got my Midland 75-822 today. Nice little radio!

BUT, I cannot even test it because there is simply no CB traffic out there. Been calling for radio checks all day on several well known (well use to be well known) channels and NADA!

Seems the old days of talking to just about anyone on CB are gone. No one is on the thing anymore....

I will take it with me on Monday to work and see if I can at least get a radio check.

Bob
    I think you need to be near a Truck Stop....hahaha.

As you may remember I have a Midlands, Firestick and Sena SR10. The units are in the trunk. I have an extension for the PTT Sena button to the handlebar. This is the weak part. I am hoping you get the built-in PTT button to work. Good Luck.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Very interested in this thread. Has there been any more progress. I already have a hand held Cobra that works well,and I gather so far that I will need a an SR 10. waiting to see what the final outcome is to get the rest of the parts. Since in the original post you asked for preferences I would prefer the CB radio to be where I can access it easily so handle bars.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I got all my gear needed for the project late last week. I will be working on this over the next week or two.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Project - Midland CB, SR10, Spyder's PTT

I have the Corbin Smuggler trunk and have the Midland CB in it along with SR10. I have a short antenna cable and an external antenna in trunk lid. I ran the cables PTT button with extension to the handlebar. Paired to Uclear headset and it all works fine. The only problem is remembering how to turn it and the SR10 on because I don't use it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 07-13-2015 at 12:05 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I have the Corbin Smuggler trunk and have the Midland CB in it along with SM10. I have a short antenna cable and an external antenna in trunk lid. I ran the cables PTT button with extension to the handlebar. Paired to Uclear headset and it all works fine. The only problem is remembering how to turn it and the SM10 on because I do t use it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You mean the SR10. SM10 is a music streaming device. SR10 is a 2 way device.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default SR-10

Got my SR-10 and hooked it up to my 75-822 Midland CB. Worked great! Just waiting to see if a cable will be made for the PTT button on the bike. Good luck guys, I know ya'll can do it!!!
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5
    NBV-Pegs
    BajaRon Anti-Sway bars w/ links
    Tricled 3/4 Break Running Lights
    Tricled Mirror turn signals
    J&M rear speaker install

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes I just fixed the SM10 to SR10.

Plus some of us just got a Motorola MU354r FRS radio that has Bluetooth. Pair it to headset, figure out how to access the PTT button or buy Motorola 1693 Bluetooth PTT button.

I'm trying to mount it to the handlebar so I can punch the button with left thumb. I'll find out next weekend how it works.

Susie
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default keep going

I am interested in installing the Midland in the trunk, especially if you can get the SPyder PTT working. I have a Yeasu FT 10R, but not sure I want to put it in or not. Bryan wb7nxc

2015 Spyder RT Special Edition

http://triketrek.com A website dedicated to the Spyder RT.

Farkle:
    Utopia backrest
    Garmin cheap ass GPS
    Some canned sparkling water in trunk.
    Intense Red Pearl/Steel Black Metallic
    Travels so far:

Spyder Garage

Up on the dash/handlebar with the SR10.

AJ

This project will enable the following:
    Midland 75-822 CB.
    Sena SR10 which allows your Bluetooth headsets to work with a 2 way radio.
    Custom cable I make which plugs into the Spyder's radio.

Now I have some question for folks as preferences for the setup.

Where would you mount the CB itself if you have a choice?

Options I am thinking of:
    In the trunk with the SR10.
    Up on the dash somewhere with the SR10.

Thanks,
    Bob

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

Default SR10 & SM10 Together

I sent a PM to Bob (finless) a few months back about BOTH units working together with a 20S.
    Here is the OFFICIAL response from SENA which I have not previously seen as a post.

AJ
    -------------
    Hi,
    Yes you can have both SM10 and SR10 paired to the 20S.
    When you pair the SR10 to the 20S, use the 20S pairing procedure called Second Mobile Phone Pairing. Go to the user guide below on page 17, section 5.5 Pairing with SENA SR10
    User Guide: http://www.sena.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/UsersGuide_20S_v1.5_en_1508241.pdf
    Regards,
    Dean
    www.sena.com
    http://support.sena.com/home

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Having mounted my Garmin on the dash, the space between the handlebars is now open and I hope to mount the Midland 75-822 there along with the associated attachments for blue tooth. Waiting for the controls from Motorcycle Dave. Then I can get into a little more. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am guessing that since Dave never mentioned using the poem ppt button that the issue is dead and there is no way to use the poem ppt button.
    Last edited by GreenDragon; 12-21-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White