Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT Ltd rear air suspension question/issue

My suspension recently started sounding squeaky. In checking it with my ears, it seems to be coming from the rear vs. the front. I checked my rear air suspension pressure and it was 20. That's absolute minimum so I increased it to 45 to compensate for driver, potential passenger, and a bit of a load. Guess what, no squeak. In a few minutes I checked the pressure and it was 38. In another 30 minutes or so it was 30. I did a short 4 mile ride, checked pressure again, and it was 19. Squeak is back! I increased it to 45 again and started the bike. In backing it out of my garage I heard three short "spits" of air and the rear suspension dropped a tad each time. I went down the block and back, checked air pressure again, and it's now 16. None of this sounds like a good thing to me. Any thoughts out there and/or further test suggestions? I'd like to try the simple stuff before taking it to the dealer. I'm wondering if I have a faulty air bag, lines, and/or valve. I did a spit test on the valve stem and no bubbles there.

Update about an hour later: I'm now beginning to wonder if I don't fully understand the ACS adjustment. I assumed that this adjustment was +/- the pressure I manually established for the air shock. For example: If I set it to 40, the the adjustment is +/- 40. I did more testing adjusting the ACS with me on the bike and no load (155 pounds). I found the air shock pressure went as high as 42 on the firmest setting and dropped as I reduced by each bar. This pretty well matches the pressure table in the manual. I also discovered that the squeak came back when I put the ACS at bars below the center. I'm now wondering if the suspension is weight sensing and adjusting the pressure appropriately based upon load. This would seem to mean that my manually airing up the shock is meaningless. I'm either getting it or even more confused.

Thanks for your thoughts and time.

Rob
    Last edited by robhowen; 05-24-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    My suspension recently started sounding squeaky. In checking it with my ears, it seems to be coming from the rear vs. the front. I checked my rear air suspension pressure and it was 20. That's absolute minimum so I increased it to 45 to compensate for driver, potential passenger, and a bit of a load. Guess what, no squeak. In a few minutes I checked the pressure and it was 38. In another 30 minutes or so it was 30. I did a short 4 mile ride, checked pressure again, and it was 19. Squeak is back! I increased it to 45 again and started the bike. In backing it out of my garage I heard three short "spits" of air and the rear suspension dropped a tad each time. I went down the block and back, checked air pressure again, and it's now 16. None of this sounds like a good thing to me. Any thoughts out there and/or further test suggestions? I'd like to try the simple stuff before taking it to the dealer. I'm wondering if I have a faulty air bag, lines, and/or valve. I did a spit test on the valve stem and no bubbles there.

Update about an hour later: I'm now beginning to wonder if I don't fully understand the ACS adjustment. I assumed that this adjustment was +/- the pressure I manually established for the air shock. For example: If I set it to 40, the the adjustment is +/- 40. I did more testing adjusting the ACS with me on the bike and no load (155 pounds). I found the air shock pressure went as high as 42 on the firmest setting and dropped as I reduced by each bar. This pretty well matches the pressure table in the manual. I also discovered that the squeak came back when I put the ACS at bars below the center. I'm now wondering if the suspension is weight sensing and adjusting the pressure appropriately based upon load. This would seem to mean that my manually airing up the shock is meaningless. I'm either getting it or even more confused.

Rob
    You have a limited with on board compressor that adjust automatically according to weight

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post

Rob
    You have a limited with on board compressor that adjust automatically according to weight

And you can adjust the rear height by using the control in front of your handlebars, it is the second from the right (Hard / Soft), in order to use it to control the air ride the bike must be running and in gear.

Try that and see if you are happy with that.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe. Given this, is there any situation where I'll need to adjust the pressure via the valve under the seat? Does the system automatically, on start-up, make sure the pressure is correct for the ACS suspension setting you have selected?
    Rob

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The ACS is always adjusting air pressure to keep the spyder suspension where it is set.
    That is why you will hear the air being released from the schrader valve.

Spyder Garage

Thank you!
    Rob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    The ACS is always adjusting air pressure to keep the spyder suspension where it is set.
    That is why you will hear the air being released from the schrader valve.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer