Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Stop Texting While Driving!

OK I am FED UP with texting while driving!

I have decided to actually try to do something about it and make some awareness.

This is endangering motorcyclists lives WAY too much!

I wear a camera whenever I commute on my Spyder. Thus I catch so many doing it several times a day!

So for those on facebook, I have created a group dedicated to busting these people.
    This group is to allow people to show video (not from using a phone thus doing what they are doing) by riders that wear a camera to show this extremely dangerous activity! This is an attempt to seriously BUST people in the act and maybe show to law enforcement what we see every day while riding!

States can make laws but because there are simply not enough police to go around and catch these law breakers, it will continue to become a problem! Some people just don't care.... They are breaking the law and unfortunately won't EVER care until people pay the ultimate price! That is someone dies and a texter goes to jail for a long time... No one wins....

Maybe we can step up and show proof and actually make some kind of difference by showing how bad this issue is and that passing a law about it means nothing if it cannot be enforced!

For those riders like me doing Moto-blogging, or just riding with a camera, please help by using your footage to show this issue is way out of control!

I know some will reply with all kinds of BS controversy here and all kinds of comments.... Whatever.... Just help or not!

Care to join in the fight?

Come join my Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1426293184357962/

This is an example of what will be posted trying to bust these people...

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-22-2015 at 12:23 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

And for those that watch that video and say.... I cannot see proof of them texting....

Well if you have even a basic camera, I will show you how to pull high res zoomed photo's from your video. Like this one!

This stupid woman was in the left lane of a 4 lane highway doing over 60 miles an hour! SERIOUSLY?

COME ON folks..... time to stop this crap!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by finless; 05-22-2015 at 12:28 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Please join me in making more awareness and actually showing to the world, people that do not care about anyone else's lives because it is so important to them to text while driving!

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, good to see something like this. I will see about setting up the camera for these reasons and more.

We have friends that have been seriously injured in a tandem bicycle accident. Since then, they have always ridden with a camera. Might even have two, one rear facing, one forward facing. They are retired and live in the Villages. They have used the video to file complaints with the police when needed, such as being squeezed close to the curb while using their designated lane, having someone swerve into the bicycle lane trying to prove the car is mightier and so forth. They captured one video I am aware of, showed it to police. The police went to the car drivers home and confronted him about how he intentionally swerves into the bicycle lane. He denied all of it. Then was shown the video and arrested.

PK

Spyder Garage

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Bob, good to see something like this. I will see about setting up the camera for these reasons and more.

We have friends that have been seriously injured in a tandem bicycle accident. Since then, they have always ridden with a camera. Might even have two, one rear facing, one forward facing. They are retired and live in the Villages. They have used the video to file complaints with the police when needed, such as being squeezed close to the curb while using their designated lane, having someone swerve into the bicycle lane trying to prove the car is mightier and so forth. They captured one video I am aware of, showed it to police. The police went to the car drivers home and confronted him about how he intentionally swerves into the bicycle lane. He denied all of it. Then was shown the video and arrested.

PK
    Thanks! Anything you can do to show how bad this is getting I think helps us all!

Again thank you...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

It's amazing how many motorcycle Vbloggers there are out there and how many catch stupid people texting!
    I can find thousands of moto-blogger videos showing this fact!

It's time to organize these Vbloggers and try to do something about it!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-22-2015 at 01:57 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree with you on this problem. Honestly, I tried texting while driving my truck. Scared the sh_t out of me. Just be careful Bob and don't get too distracted trying to catch them on camera and traffic ahead of you slows or stops. We don't want to lose you.

Spyder Garage

From 2009 back when I used to commute to an office.

Funny aside story; I once used my video footage to report an HOV lane violator (boy those used to tick me off) and the next day I got a call from the sheriff.
    Turns out the one I reported was an undercover detective in an unmarked car.

But yeah, totally agree. Text driving is as bad as drunk driving. Both kill and both are preventable.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is a great idea! It should catch on quickly!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Best of luck. To our benefit if you succeed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that this is a VERY worthwhile endeavor; Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hope this catches on and runs like wild fire! Good job Bob! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A few facts i learned recently.

at 60 mph your car travels approximately 500 ft per sec. on average everytime someone looks down to text they take their eyes off the road for 5 sec. do the math if tey're doing 60 mph then they're going almost 1/2 a mile everytime they look down. If that doesn't scare the s**t out of you nothing will.

Bill C.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I drive day and at night time and see this all the time..IT pisses me off...

THey need to put software on the phone to prevent any texting while driving.

Spyder Garage

Default Good luck..!!

Hope those with the capabilities join in and help crub if not eliminate texting while driving. Just be careful doing it filming off center can be risky. But if your new formed group is sucessful it will make am impact...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default We Know All too Well

Bob, thanks for this. We in the Sacramento Chapter of Spyder Ryders of America are all to familiar with the dangers of texting and driving. Early last fall one of our members, Sandy O'Brien was seriously injured who he was rear ended on his Spyder by a woman that was texting while she was driving. Sandy spent month and half in several hospitals before losing his battle and passing on December 26th 2014. All because someone had to respond to some mindless text.....not even important enough to call!

RIP Sandy!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It really tees me off to see a female leo texting!
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

People are getting worse when texting because they are trying to hide that they are doing it and they are looking down more.
    I have to say that even car manufacturers are starting to go to far with the touch screen abilities
    I have seen people swerving all over their lane while using their monitors in their dash
    If this keeps up people will eventually have complete computers in their dash with internet access.
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Sorry but-----

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    A few facts i learned recently.

at 60 mph your car travels approximately 500 ft per sec. on average everytime someone looks down to text they take their eyes off the road for 5 sec. do the math if tey're doing 60 mph then they're going almost 1/2 a mile everytime they look down. If that doesn't scare the s**t out of you nothing will.

Bill C.
    Sorry Bill but the velocity of an object at 60 MPH is 88 feet per second. Still for the 5 seconds that some dolt is texting ( at 60 MPH ) they ( and thier 3 ton car) have traveled 440 feet. ( 1.5 football fields).

How about a small cell phone blocker??? A really loud horn. A small paint ball gun. My old trick for tail gaters was a hand full of nuts and bolts tossed over my head from in front on the tailgaiter. They always slow way down while I drop a gear and dissapear.

Yes I know it caused -----
    Kaos

PS: 500 feet per second is closest to 350 mph.
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-22-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Statistics

Texting While Driving Causes:

1. 1,600,000 accidents per year – National Safety Council
    2. 330,000 injuries per year – Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
    3. 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY – Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
    4. Nearly 25% of ALL car accidents

I was hoping to find statistics dealing with motorcycles.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BOB YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!!!!

I feel the same as Bob I think the punishment for texting while driving should be the same as DRUNK DRIVING
    I take lic. numbers and call 911 often when I see it going on.
    Keep it up Bob and others who feel the same.
    Dave
    Ride Safe, Ride like they cant see you because they can't when they are texting

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Texting While Driving Causes:

1. 1,600,000 accidents per year – National Safety Council
    2. 330,000 injuries per year – Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
    3. 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY – Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
    4. Nearly 25% of ALL car accidents

I was hoping to find statistics dealing with motorcycles.

Bob

Spyder Garage

60 mph = 88 ft per second. So 5 seconds of distraction is 440 ft., almost a football field and a half!

One of the administrations under the US DOT did a study that showed texting while driving is equivalent to driving after having had 4 oz of alcohol on an empty stomach. Meaning texting while driving is more than twice as dangerous as DUI! Oklahoma just passed a law banning texting and driving. It takes effect 11/1/2015. Now we have to watch to see if the law is enforced.

My sport bike riding daughter uses fishing weights to back off folks.

As for cell phone blockers, I designed one that only blocks when a vehicle is in motion and mounts in the vehicle out of reach of the passengers (senses like the old cruise controls did with magnets on the drive shaft). When I went to an attorney to get the design protected, he referred me to FCC regulations and law that it is illegal to block cell phone signals. You cannot legally purchase one in the US. Also, if you have one on (even low power) and someone is blocked, you can get in deep legal trouble.

If I see weaving or folks looking at their phones, I give them a VERY WIDE safety distance.
    Last edited by sduskin; 05-22-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is why i hope the person texting dies in the crash, that is probably the only way they will stop.
    rather the texter dies then me or someone innocent

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't wish death on anyone. They learn nothing, those left behind have to deal with the grief, and karma can be a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk