Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will be cancelling my order and begin looking for a 2014. Hope to be reporting back soon with an update on the purchase.

Ride on!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Shopping, and Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I think you made a wise choice. It will be hit or miss with the 13 but a home run with the 14.

Maybe we will see you at Spyderquest in September?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will be cancelling my order and begin looking for a 2014. Hope to be reporting back soon with an update on the purchase.

Ride on!
    You have made a good decision. The damage has been done on the 13's reputation and makes it a poor investment unless you get it for a real good price.

When the "fix" gets applied soon, it remains to be seen if the value will come back.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally speaking; I HOPE that it does. It would (or could..) make them the best of the 998-equipped bikes.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What kind of riding do you expect to do? If you're going to be doing 70+ on Interstates with headwinds hitting you, and/or a lot of uphill riding, go for the '14. The 998 just doesn't have the power and torque at the top end that you need for demanding conditions. On my recent trip to Spyderfest and back I encountered very strong winds in Idaho the last day. 4th gear, full throttle, pulling my trailer, there were times I could not get above 72 mph! Gas mileage dropped to about 15 mpg. I got ~24 mpg going over the Rockies 3 weeks earlier. The lack of power and torque at the top end makes it challenging to pass semis on the Interstate at 70 to 80 mph, especially in a headwind or going uphill.

I test drove a '15 RT at Spyderfest. In my assessment in most ordinary riding conditions the 1330 engine performs on par with the 1800 Goldwing. The 998 does not.

Now if most of your riding is going to be 65 and below on 2 lane highways and you aren't going to be going up and down hills and battling headwinds, the 2013 will serve you just fine.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spend the extra cash and get a 2014 Rt you will be happy you did.
    The new motor and six speed transmission are awesome.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT owner

Hi All,

Please give a brother (1st time owner) some advice on the purchase of a 2013 RT LTD (1,600 miles). I have read many of the recall discussions. It seems the heat/fire issue is very real, but I'm not sure how statistically significant it really is. I know... it's significant if it happens to you/me.

This particular bike was meticulously maintained and has had no issues (confirmed). The previous owner traded for a new F3.

Like many, I don't know what the "fix" will be or if it will completely cure the problem(s). We have a deposit and are waiting to take delivery later this week. Should I cancel and hold out for a 2014? Or should I cautiously jump on?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.
    I have a 2013 RT S with over 16,000 miles on it and have had almost no problems, heat or otherwise. I also will keep it till one of us quits working. The only problem I have had was with the trailer light module, relocated it and it works fine now, just finished 3,000 miles with the trailer and no problems.
    Yes I would like to have a 2014 for the better gas milage, but right now not enough to spend the extra money to upgrade.
    Hope you join the us, my Spyder has been lots of fun.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i love my 2013

Spyder Garage

I own a RT-s 2013...do not buy 2013....buy newer or older.

Don't 2nd guess getting a Spyder.
    I love mine so much I'm willing to drive it to the other side of life.
    Last edited by condorflysu; 05-21-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default We're In!!!

Update... Wow, you all have been incredibly inviting. Thanks so much for all the great advice and well wishes.

On a whim, I stopped at Bibbens in Weedsport NY today. Almost an hour away from home but it was on my way to one of my accounts. Long story short, Jay took me out for a test drive (30 minutes) on a 2012 RT Ltd through what seemed like every possible road encounter (hills, intersections, RR tracks, metal bridges, fast, slow, curvy, etc....). I had a blast. When we returned the deal was made and I am a proud owner now!

It made sense for me to consider a used '12 to avoid the issues with the '13 and get experience with riding (I'm a brand new rider, just got my M license at age 50+). While keeping the budget low. The plan is to ride the heck out of this machine and trade up in a few years.

We are making plans tonight for Spiderquest 2015! Always wanted to hang out in Lake George and this will be a great combination. So, we will see you there and look forward to meeting up along the way this summer. If you are coming through the Finger Lakes drop me a line. We would love to hook up with other Spyder folk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Good call. The 2012s are good bikes. See you at Spyderquest.

Spyder Garage

Default Pic

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here we come...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Decisions, Decisions

Hi All,

Please give a brother (1st time owner) some advice on the purchase of a 2013 RT LTD (1,600 miles). I have read many of the recall discussions. It seems the heat/fire issue is very real, but I'm not sure how statistically significant it really is. I know... it's significant if it happens to you/me.

This particular bike was meticulously maintained and has had no issues (confirmed). The previous owner traded for a new F3.

Like many, I don't know what the "fix" will be or if it will completely cure the problem(s). We have a deposit and are waiting to take delivery later this week. Should I cancel and hold out for a 2014? Or should I cautiously jump on?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.
    I had a 2013 RT AND 2014 RT. I really liked the 2013, but the 2014 was a tremendous amount better. I'd go for the 2014 without question! ABSOLUTELY ? I traded the 2014 RT for an F3. You will have no doubts if you test ride the 2013 and 2014. Good luck be safe and have fun.

Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    What kind of riding do you expect to do? If you're going to be doing 70+ on Interstates with headwinds hitting you, and/or a lot of uphill riding, go for the '14. The 998 just doesn't have the power and torque at the top end that you need for demanding conditions. On my recent trip to Spyderfest and back I encountered very strong winds in Idaho the last day. 4th gear, full throttle, pulling my trailer, there were times I could not get above 72 mph! Gas mileage dropped to about 15 mpg. I got ~24 mpg going over the Rockies 3 weeks earlier. The lack of power and torque at the top end makes it challenging to pass semis on the Interstate at 70 to 80 mph, especially in a headwind or going uphill.

I test drove a '15 RT at Spyderfest. In my assessment in most ordinary riding conditions the 1330 engine performs on par with the 1800 Goldwing. The 998 does not.

Now if most of your riding is going to be 65 and below on 2 lane highways and you aren't going to be going up and down hills and battling headwinds, the 2013 will serve you just fine.
    Sorry, you were just in the wrong gear. The 998 does need to be up in its power band above 5000 but lack of power is not one of its problems. My 2013 had no problem running away from a stock 2014 RT, not by much but it was faster. Point is, the power between the two is very close, just different RPM ranges. The low end torque of the 1330 does FEEL faster during normal driving. I love my new F3 but lets not destroy the market for the 2013s any worse than BRP already has.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 05-22-2015 at 06:10 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here we come...
    VERY, very nice!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Sorry, you were just in the wrong gear. The 998 does need to be up in its power band above 5000 but lack of power is not one of its problems. My 2013 had no problem running away from a stock 2014 RT, not by much but it was faster. Point is, the power between the two is very close, just different RPM ranges. The low end torque of the 1330 does FEEL faster during normal driving. I love my new F3 but lets not destroy the market for the 2013s any worse than BRP already has.
    I'm not trying to destroy the market for the 2013s, just pointing out that in my experience the 998 is limited in performance at the top end, especially when I really needed it. I do most of my passing of semis in 4th gear up to 80+ mph, and have occasionally dropped into 3rd. 3rd tops out at about 75 mph and 4th at about 90, with the engine up around 8000 rpm. I am operating in the power band! On the level, or slight uphill, in calm weather, the 998 will move you around the semi, but it is not as quick at it as the Goldwing is. But if you're against a headwind, or going up a 6% grade, the 998 is lacking. I passed a lot of semis with my GW, and I've passed a lot of them with the RT. When it comes to power reserve at 75 mph and up the 998 does not have what the 'wing does. That is stating fact, not making a bashing comment.

Oh, and a headwind never kept me from reaching 80+ with the GW like happened the last Saturday with the RT, and I was in 4th gear most of the day, on the Interstate!

Are you suggesting that when it comes to power for passing, climbing uphill, and fighting headwind, that at 70 mph and above the 1330 performance is no better than the 998? It kind of sounds like it but I sure can't believe that is what you are doing.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ride.I,m sure you,ll enjoy it.I,m going to Carlisle PA in Aug down through the finger lakes.Very nice country.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended