Thread: First Demo Ride

Spyder Garage

Default First Demo Ride

Greetings folks. First time poster, been lurking for a while. Took my first Spyder demo ride today so i thought it was high time I joined up. This forum has already been a fantastic resource and I'm so looking forward to being a part of it.

Before I ask any questions, a little bit of background is probably in order. The demo ride today was a 2015 RT-S SE6 Special. My experience is close to 50 years of two wheeled escapades. Mini-bikes to two stroke enduros, several metrics, a couple of Harleys and a couple of BMW's. The current ride is a K1600GTL. While I love this machine, especially that fantastic 6 cylinder motor, I have recently gone through some medical issues. The last 6 months of 2014 was spent in surgeries, treatments and recoveries. I have fought my way back to reasonable health but at 57 years young, I have been forced to come to the conclusion that total recovery of strength, stamina and balance just may not be in the cards. The wife and I recently took our first distance trip (San Diego to Morro Bay) since not riding for almost 8 months. As long as we were cruising down the road, all was well. It was the stopping that has brought with it a whole new set of negative sensations. Is there any sand on the street? Am I pulling into any wet spots? Is the camber OK so I don't end up leaning to one side? Between the 750 lbs. of bike, a full load of gear and my wife perched on the back, I found that the stopping and balancing had become so precarious for me that the joy and pleasure of the trip was constantly overshadowed by the fear of dropping this monster in the middle of the street and not being able to pick it back up, not to mention the expense of replacing tupperware. We can't pull off of the road at scenic overlooks unless the pullout is hard surfaced and not congested. We have to be extremely cautious of our parking lot choices. We just have to be careful of everything, and I can no longer call it fun.

So, a Spyder seems to be the logical choice. Giving up the wind in my face is not. With all that said, I finally got around to taking the first demo ride today. I also have several years as a younger fella riding quads in the deserts East of San Diego so I was not overly concerned about the "way" that you have to ride this type of machine. That proved to be the case and after a few laps around the parking lot, in many ways it felt like it was second nature. I know that it is not the same as a two wheeler and don't expect it to be. What I did find out however was a bit of a surprise. That big, wide front end suddenly seemed to be not nearly as wide once I got out onto the street. I was expecting this 1000# machine to be rather planted and even expected it to be somewhat sluggish in handling. While it does take some considerable effort to make lock to lock turns, the sensation going down the street reminded me of a butterfly trying to skip across a frozen pond. "OK" I thought to myself, "just relax and loosen your grip". I immediately went to a "grip" of simply resting my palms on the handlebars and let the machine do what it needed to do. That did settle it down some but the motion of those two front wheels was still very prevalent. The suspension (I backed the rear suspension off to 2 bars just to see if that would smooth anything out) in the front seemed to be very harsh and I felt like I could feel every little piece of gravel through the handlebars.

So, here is my question: Assuming that there may be some fine tuning such as accurate front tire pressure that the dealer may not have totally nailed down, are the symptoms that I experienced - harsh front end, "dancing" sideways, extremely sensitive to road conditions - symptoms that one can expect improvement on from upgrades such as Bajaron's sway bar and front shock adjuster kit? Or is this a characteristic of this machine that I'm simply going to have to accept and get used to in return for the security of 3 wheels?

It's a little difficult coming from the smoothness and power of that K1600GTL and while I'm not expecting apples to apples in any way, I did expect a little bit smoother of a ride experience from this large touring machine.

Any feedback for me? Heading out to a social function but I'll be running home later tonight to see if anybody has any suggestions for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default no more dancing

Hi, welcome - yep, I too got sick of loving the 2 wheel ride but hating gravel lookouts, parking, slow bits & etc. Spyder is wonderful, a whole new lease of riding-life.
    Re remedies - you're on the right track with bajaron swaybar, tyre pressures etc but the FIRST thing to do is a laser alignment ("laser", not the original BRP method). I had this done on RS and ST and it is the single most best thing to stop me dancing in the streets ... RT owners will swing in, I'm sure, with more info for you. See if the dealer can do a laser alignment prior to your next test ride, or try a dealer who has the laser system happening.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Hi, welcome - yep, I too got sick of loving the 2 wheel ride but hating gravel lookouts, parking, slow bits & etc. Spyder is wonderful, a whole new lease of riding-life.
    Re remedies - you're on the right track with bajaron swaybar, tyre pressures etc but the FIRST thing to do is a laser alignment ("laser", not the original BRP method). I had this done on RS and ST and it is the single most best thing to stop me dancing in the streets ... RT owners will swing in, I'm sure, with more info for you. See if the dealer can do a laser alignment prior to your next test ride, or try a dealer who has the laser system happening.
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't think there are any dealers or shops in my local area that do the laser alignment so once we find a new home for the GTL and then re-fill the garage with an RT, I guess a ride to either Las Vegas or Phoenix will be in order and see if I can get the laser alignment taken care of there. Hopefully some of the other folks will chime in here to let me know if they think I'm on the right path for my future plans.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR STORY AND HISTORY

I thought I was reading about me , been there done that......I am curious about what you feel is Harshness in the front end....most here think the OEM front shocks aren't supportive enough....( me included).....Ron's swaybar is big help in the HANDLING dept. ...however it isn't going to make the front softer/smoother for you IMHO.......I would make sure the front tires are at about 18 to 20 max.....The current aftermarket fixes for the front shocks are going to make them stiffer and harsher......The after market shocks /springs etc are not designed to make the ride softer ( to the best of my knowledge ) contact Elka and ask about it.......Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You and I have a lot in common: Previous ride - K1600 GTL, 2-wheel riding - 50 years +

I thought I had made a terrible mistake getting the Spyder (2014 RT Limited). On one 20 mile trip (on some uneven pavement) from work to home, I got so tired and frustrated with trying to control the crazy movements of the Spyder that I had to pull over for a few minutes to collect myself. I was actually a little afraid of it.

Let not your heart be troubled. There is a steep learning curve for us looooong-time 2-wheelers to make the transition. For me, it took 500-600 miles to start to feel comfortable. I'm at around 2,500 now and really, really enjoying it. Now that same road doesn't bother me at all. Your neurology will make the adjustment. The anti-sway bar is a good investment, but the main ingredient is time in the saddle. Just take it slow and easy as you make the transition.

Spyder Garage

My situation very similar to yours

To me---

Itwas not about

lazer alignments
    Shocks

Etc--

It was about the (feel) of the machine
    felt like a boat sometimes
    Other times liks a jittery machine on steroids

But then I realized I just needed time--

3000 miles later

I VERY MUCH FEEL AT HOME ON IT

50 years of two wheeling had to fade away

I DID NOT think i would ever be able to use cruise control, relax or even get a drink
    Let alone run the stereo etc

Now that seems silly

IN MY OPINION (Thats all this is)

Ride ride ride before you start throwing a bunch of money at a well built good riding machine

Dont know about the older ones
    2014 rs 6

Spyder Garage

One thing i did neglect--
    TIRE PRESSURE IS THE ONE THING I DID HAVE TO EXPERIMENT WITH

Spyder Garage

Like everyone says it,s a learing curve.When we first got the Spyder out on the first ride i thought what did i do.Now after 1500 km i,m getting more use to it.I like the ride of the suspension.iT,ll come to you just need time
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're not letting Life, get in the way of LIVING!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I ride two-up on a touring machine and solo on a motorcycle. I too have been riding awhile and my touring bikes have included virtually every metric touring bike made and recently a Goldwing trike. I bought a 2010 RT due to budget and found the suspension to be lacking. The 2015 is supposed to be a far better ride than the 2010 so I can't comment on the new Spyder RT but the old one's suspension is not confidence inspiring. I have tuned the stock suspension, added BajaRon's anti-sway bar and Heim links and will be putting some Elia shocks on this week. So far the upgrades I have made have been a vast improvement. If you are looking for three wheels you may also want to try out a conventional trike. Keep in mind that most trikes are kit trikes and financing can be an issue. Harley is the only OEM making a factory trike and I am not sure how it works as I haven't ridden one but i would take a test ride to give your decision some balance. You can normally finance an OEM trike like any other bike. Financing may be necessary due to insane sticker on these things. The Goldwing kit trikes can get up into the mid $30s K and I just won't spend that much on a fun vehicle (mainly because I don't have it hehe).
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

Welcome to this site (actively) soon to welcome you to the spyder world...Many have walked your path myself included. As you get more miles on a spyder you will better adjust to her handling. To many times we try to change it to what we are coming from but will only come close at best. It is a totally different machine and amazing once you and the machine find that combination that best suits both. The trip is full of fun and smiles and wonderful people. Play with what the roadster came with and then you will better see what you want. I went the other way ,coming from a wing, and have tighten eveything for a great ryde for backroads, canyons, mountains with tons of twisties. Probably at speeds I should have given up years ago.. but too much fun being in el cajon as well you must know those roads..94, 80, 79, 78, Palomar mountain etc...these machine grow on you quickly....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default similar situation.

Very similar circumstances. Get the Spyder, dont do anything to it until you ride it @ 1000 miles on all kind of roads.
    You will adapt to it and you will like it a lot.
    It will never be like 2 whl, but it will be great in its own way. Enjoy.

Carl

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME!

I had the same problems riding two up on the two wheeler, then the wife rode an RT and now I ride solo. I also enjoy riding the spyder and will probably get one in the future. I have got to try those roads down that way.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to have had several different styles of machines over the years do indeed recognize the learning curve and I know there will be one for the Spyder. I guess I just needed to hear some seasoned Spyder folks reassure me of that before I drop the hammer on some very expensive machinery, both selling and buying. I'm not retired yet but if I don't make a good decision here I'll end up being retired AND homeless if the missus isn't happy over this. Happy wife, happy life!!

I will indeed make the Spyder work. Either by fixing it or fixing me or fixing both. To that I am committed. Some of you did ask for a little more description of what I experienced from the front end. I'll try it this way. Imagine that you have two front wheels made of rubber and those rubber wheels had 20 pounds of air pressure in them. Nice and cushy. Now imagine that those front wheels were made of wood. That's more of what the feeling was like with this bike. The suspension didn't feel bad. Cornering was OK. It was truly more like the wheels were made of wood than rubber. Sort of rattled down the road over every crack and bump rather than rolling down the road. Very different from anything I've ever been on, quads included.

Again, thanks to all and I'm looking forward to learning from all of you and hopefully in the future, being able to contribute as well.

Spyder Garage

Not to worry about harshness or seeming to have a mind of its own.

Saturday, we went for a ride with some new friends. It was the inaugural ride of a brand new 2013 ST-S. We did 160 miles, climbed some mountains, and did twisties that will get anyone's attention.

The rider was previously an experienced two wheel rider. The was totally new to her. The ride was bought at and prepped by people who know how to work on . Set up and things like air pressure were addressed and done right.

I spoke with her about over control--and not to do it. I use the example of having eggs between the gloves and the handgrips--don't break them. Also recommend push/pull steering.

Also told her about taking turns with virtually no "g's." Plant the outside foot on the pegs/floorboards, lean slightly into the turn, and enter the turn at a speed that allows you to increase during the turn, not having to brake prior to the turn.

We had no complaints, the performed flawless, and the new owner had nothing but good stuff to say about her new ride.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-18-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Part of the problem I have always found with the spyder can be the sense of it never feeling settled .
    much of this I feel can be attributed to the fact that the front wheel track is not the same spacing or width of many cars so while one front wheel may be in a "grove" even if one can not be seen the other doesn't seem to have a home. Also the rear wheel is also riding part of the road hump so to speak. I often let the spyder find its own course generally down open roads or highways with one hand very little pressure (relaxed or open palm grip) not worrying about every second of its path but it's general course.
    It is a very different feel than how 2 wheels track or even 4. I think it's just the general overal layout between the 3 wheels none lining up behind another and the width being narrower than cars.
    That being said if you get aggressive with it you should have no problems putting these machines exactly where you want them to be on a dime 👍

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elixermixer View Post
    Part of the problem I have always found with the spyder can be the sense of it never feeling settled .
    much of this I feel can be attributed to the fact that the front wheel track is not the same spacing or width of many cars so while one front wheel may be in a "grove" even if one can not be seen the other doesn't seem to have a home. Also the rear wheel is also riding part of the road hump so to speak. I often let the spyder find its own course generally down open roads or highways with one hand very little pressure (relaxed or open palm grip) not worrying about every second of its path but it's general course.
    It is a very different feel than how 2 wheels track or even 4. I think it's just the general overal layout between the 3 wheels none lining up behind another and the width being narrower than cars.
    That being said if you get aggressive with it you should have no problems putting these machines exactly where you want them to be on a dime 👍
    This could have some bearing on what I was feeling. I did notice that the harder I pushed the throttle (and thereby easing the load from the front end) the better the tracking. Between that and the gyroscopic effect I guess I just need to "give her all she's got, lean back and enjoy the ride".

When I got onto my BMW R1200RT for the first time it was so very different from the Road King I had before it. The same when I went from the R1200RT to the K1600GTL. It will be the same for the Spyder RT so I think it's time to get this show on the road!!!

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted on your progress. The Spyder does like to dance and it's a feeling that is disconcerting at first. Since you are sitting in a motorcycle position, your neurology expects it to feel like a motorcycle, so when the pavement dips on one side, it feels like your bike is going to tip or shoot sideways. Your nervous system panics a little. You just have to teach it that this is different and the only way I know to do that is more time and more miles on the Spyder. Just take it easy, get used to the new sensations, and before long you will be greatly enjoying your ryde.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    Greetings folks. First time poster, been lurking for a while. Took my first Spyder demo ride today so i thought it was high time I joined up. This forum has already been a fantastic resource and I'm so looking forward to being a part of it.

Before I ask any questions, a little bit of background is probably in order. The demo ride today was a 2015 RT-S SE6 Special. My experience is close to 50 years of two wheeled escapades. Mini-bikes to two stroke enduros, several metrics, a couple of Harleys and a couple of BMW's. The current ride is a K1600GTL. While I love this machine, especially that fantastic 6 cylinder motor, I have recently gone through some medical issues. The last 6 months of 2014 was spent in surgeries, treatments and recoveries. I have fought my way back to reasonable health but at 57 years young, I have been forced to come to the conclusion that total recovery of strength, stamina and balance just may not be in the cards. The wife and I recently took our first distance trip (San Diego to Morro Bay) since not riding for almost 8 months. As long as we were cruising down the road, all was well. It was the stopping that has brought with it a whole new set of negative sensations. Is there any sand on the street? Am I pulling into any wet spots? Is the camber OK so I don't end up leaning to one side? Between the 750 lbs. of bike, a full load of gear and my wife perched on the back, I found that the stopping and balancing had become so precarious for me that the joy and pleasure of the trip was constantly overshadowed by the fear of dropping this monster in the middle of the street and not being able to pick it back up, not to mention the expense of replacing tupperware. We can't pull off of the road at scenic overlooks unless the pullout is hard surfaced and not congested. We have to be extremely cautious of our parking lot choices. We just have to be careful of everything, and I can no longer call it fun.

Any feedback for me? Heading out to a social function but I'll be running home later tonight to see if anybody has any suggestions for me.
    Ditto for me for a first time poster, and discomfort at slow speeds. Most of my riding is on the Yamaha FJR1300 with the electric clutch which cuts power around 1800 RPMs. I keep thinking I'm going to drop it when the power is cut. I'm really researching the Spyder and hope it is a solution for me.

Hope also that you got a Spyder and are enjoying it.

-Bill

Spyder Garage

Default Suppress your fear

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Glad to hear that you're not letting Life, get in the way of LIVING!!
    . I'm not unlike most of this board, riding everything since middle school over fifty years. Harley's got heavy, still have one covered in the shop. Riding two spyders rts and f3. Once you learn to lighten your control and acclimate to the g forces you'll never go back, Trust the force.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
    Ditto for me for a first time poster, and discomfort at slow speeds. Most of my riding is on the Yamaha FJR1300 with the electric clutch which cuts power around 1800 RPMs. I keep thinking I'm going to drop it when the power is cut. I'm really researching the Spyder and hope it is a solution for me.

Hope also that you got a Spyder and are enjoying it.

-Bill
    Bill -

Yes, we are proud new Spyder owners. It was about 1600 miles ago so still getting our feet wet. Here's what I can tell you at this point.

Coming from a K1600GTL, I miss the smoothness and the power. What I have come to realize though is that those attributes for that great bike were mostly centered around open highway touring. Yes, it was a great machine even at slower speeds, but the sheer size and weight just didn't lend itself to a "jump on a scoot and bomb around town" kind of an experience. With the Spyder, I find myself riding home every night (I ride it a short distance to work every day) and trying to talk the wife into taking a ride. "Let's go to the store". "Let's go get a bite to eat". Let's go over to our friend's house". Of course, there's always the "helmet hair" thing that many gals can't get past but my point here is that, I am once again having fun with my machine. It's not a chore, it's a pleasure. It's not a white knuckle experience with every sand patch or rutted parking lot, it's just a place to ride into and then back out of (gotta LOVE that reverse).

The truth of the matter is, after these very short 1600 miles, I'm really starting to think that 3 wheels would be my choice over 2 wheels regardless of the reason I ended up here. I'm loving this tripod gizmo!!!
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    Bill -
    The truth of the matter is, after these very short 1600 miles, I'm really starting to think that 3 wheels would be my choice over 2 wheels regardless of the reason I ended up here. I'm loving this tripod gizmo!!!
    I totally agree. I'm having just as much if not more riding my Spydee as I did of riding two wheels for over 30 years and of many brands. I don't miss my two wheels at all.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully