Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A crazy idea

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default A crazy idea

The 998cc Spyder engine has around 100hp, the RSV Millie with the same engine has around 146hp, if it is the exact same engine, how will the Spyder react with it? I wonder if they will interchange? it is very tempting to try find out

Spyder Garage

Default Not so crazy...!!

So when will you be doing this..??'ing to see the reviews...does sound interesting and fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm watching.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    So when will you be doing this..??'ing to see the reviews...does sound interesting and fun...
    You forgot to mention expensive, i will do some research but it will be long time before i can atempt something like that, hope somebody beats me to it and i can copy him

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

COMPUTERS ...COMPUTERS ....COMPUTERS /..............Need I say more ?????...........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Will you be able to convert the output from the new engine, to the belt drive of the Spyder?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, it works. We have a local who has already done one and currently making some improvements. I also picked up a wrecked rsvr from a friend who is scared of it with the intent of doing one as well. However, cheap unwrecked spyders are hard to come by and I'm not at the point of ripping my 12' apart.
    There are a few different ways to approach it. The one I rode he swapped out the gears in the trans so he had 6 speeds but no reverse. Runs the Aprilia electronics. No nanny, no abs, etc etc. Aprilia cluster.
    I've also been told that you can leave the hard parts in place and swap electronics. Again losing all the nanny abs etc.
    Aprilia cluster has to be modded to fit but looked nice.
    The ride is unbelievable!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was waiting for you to get to this party...
    Is the Spyder converted to chain drive?
    Please; tell us more!

Spyder Garage

Default Engine mods

I imagine the Spyder (Rotax) engine could be easily upgraded with higher compression Pistons, head work, cams and larger injectors to add 30 or 40 horsepower. A free flow air cleaner and exhaust, and the whole project comes in at $4K. We need some baseline dyno numbers, then go from there. I am in talks with MACSHACK, an engineering concern out of Utah. A set of upgrade kits, in stages, is the concept. Stay tuned! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I imagine the Spyder (Rotax) engine could be easily upgraded with higher compression Pistons, head work, cams and larger injectors to add 30 or 40 horsepower. A free flow air cleaner and exhaust, and the whole project comes in at $4K. We need some baseline dyno numbers, then go from there. I am in talks with MACSHACK, an engineering concern out of Utah. A set of upgrade kits, in stages, is the concept. Stay tuned! Joe
    I would be curious to know how much extra stress that would put on the transmission. If you behaved yourself I'm sure it could handle it, but I tend to misbehave on occasion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope, using the stock belt drive. From what I understand the output shaft he either swapped or he had a splined adapter fabbed up with the stock front pulley. I know he was talking about both but I honestly don't know which way he went.
    My plan if I did one was to swap the spyder trans internals to the Aprilia case.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

this thread is bringing out the best of the backyard engineers...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    this thread is bringing out the best of the backyard engineers...
    I knew there was somebody crazier than me out there!!

Spyder Garage

interesting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    I knew there was somebody crazier than me out there!!
    You probably should grab Drew by the ears; ask him about a zillion questions and take notes about everything that he says...
    He's already done a bunch of research on this type of project...

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its not mine and I didn't build it so I'm far from being knowledgeable on the build. I do know the owner real well and have ridden it a few times. I've picked his brain on a few aspects of the build because I'm casually considering it.
    He has built a lot of pretty wild custom machines over the years. Usually he builds for the fun of building it, rides it a bit, then either parts it out, or it goes into hiding in the back of his shop. He is NOT into the forum BS and really wants no part of the "community"......some of you would say he has a bad attitude.....[emoji57] BUT, if anyone is planning on building one he is a super nice guy and has no problem sharing what he knows.

I can likely get some pics next time I'm down there, but other than seeing an Aprilia cluster recesses in the dash opening and a drag radial tire on the back you wouldn't think its any different than any other RS. Its a stealth built machine for sure.

Spyder Garage

Default Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I have a kit very similar to this in a 2008 GS Spyder. Bike halls ars... 140hp. No issues in 11,500 mls. Bike is currently for sale.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...028698581.html

Spyder Garage

Default Exactly!

If I did not just buy a new bike Friday, I would be all over this! What a bargain and easily worth much more! Somebody grab this deal! JMHO, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YOu should tell Ann about it... she needs a toy like this!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The 998cc Spyder engine has around 100hp, the RSV Millie with the same engine has around 146hp, if it is the exact same engine, how will the Spyder react with it? I wonder if they will interchange? it is very tempting to try find out
    Back in 2009 Evoluzione , who are now out of business, had been reworking the Aprilla for higher performance and did offer a number of "upgrades" for the V twin Spyder, since the motors are essentially the same. They were the first people to offer a stiffer sway bar and an O2 sensor for the Can Am Unfortunately as I said they went out of business

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Back in 2009 Evoluzione , who are now out of business, had been reworking the Aprilla for higher performance and did offer a number of "upgrades" for the V twin Spyder, since the motors are essentially the same. They were the first people to offer a stiffer sway bar and an O2 sensor for the Can Am Unfortunately as I said they went out of business

Spyder Garage

The earlier Aprilia Tuono and RSV used the Rotax 998, in a higher state of tuning than the Spyder's version. The gearing is identical, except that the Spyder trans has the sixth gear replaced by reverse.
    In Europe, I've heard of lots of hot rod stuff for the 998, big bore kits, a 1200 cc stroker kit, and so forth. The one thing hat would concern me with a project like this would be the clutch, our Spyders are lots heavier than the Aprilias are, and can't absorb hard starts by lofting the front wheels.
    It's been a few years since I played with ideas like this, but I was always curious about what a 1340 cc twin would be capable of in a Spyder.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    It's been a few years since I played with ideas like this, but I was always curious about what a 1340 cc twin would be capable of in a Spyder.
    I think that it would certainly be capable of draining a couple of bank accounts...

Spyder Garage

Yeah, Bob, the stroker kit 5 years ago was over 5K, to get really serious with these engines takes cubic money!

john