Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow! Now have SMOOTH shifting!

Took my bike to the dealer for its 3000 mile service. Had them put in full synthetic oil instead of BRP's blended oil. I had fairly loud, clunky shifting and I just figured it was normal for the engine. When I left the dealer I couldn't believe how smooth the shifting was. There is no delay, no "clunk", no nothing. It is as smooth as my car. Can't believe that switching to the full synthetic would make such a big difference. The dealer told me it would...

Also, had them adjust my belt and another big difference. Still getting a bit of the "grinding" sensation but much, much less. Now, I'm feeling just a normal belt vibration. I'm curious if any of you with the grinding/vibration of the belt felt a marked improvement after your 3000 mile service.

Another thing, I've been ryding around with my floorboards for a bit now and what a HUGE difference in comfort these make! Definitely recommend them!

I LOVE this bike!!!

Happy ryding all,
    Robert
    Last edited by RPM; 05-13-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Good information. Thank you for posting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

They are a great ride

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

glad your ryde is better. Now you can enjoy it even more. Oil changes tend to make things better especially doing it at 3000 mile break in. Now for those pesky farkels...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I wondered about the F3 floorboards. Can you tell us any more about what makes them better than the pegs or why you prefer them on your F3? Pics? Is the angle right or is it adjustable?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I wondered about the F3 floorboards. Can you tell us any more about what makes them better than the pegs or why you prefer them on your F3? Pics? Is the angle right or is it adjustable?
    I was wondering the same... probably wanting to get a set on mine. Actually I was going for
    a set when I bought the bike, but got the "evil eye" from the wife after purchasing the other
    items on-the-spot that day.

(In the pics they do look adjusted at an angle). I do know, when I had them on the Vision, for some
    longer distance stints it was nice to move your foot around a bit vs the natural position your boot may
    find when on the pegs. (I will say that these machines have some of the most robust pegs I've
    ever seen... beasts!)
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Default floorboards

I got the floorboards also (for the F3) and I really like them. I'm 6'1" tall and had the U-fit set up on position 4 with the pegs but when I got the floorboards, the ideal position was number 5. I guess it was because you can't pivot your foot as much on the floor board. That being said, I wouldn't be without them now. If you can sit on a bike with the floorboards on, you would be able to judge for yourself.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good info Olddood, thanks. If a 6'3" rider is already at position 5 with the pegs, do you think the floorboards would be more restrictive? Are the boards lower than the pegs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I'm 5' 8" and originally moved the floorboards out to position 4 but found it a bit too far out and put them back at position 3. The boards are angled about 20 degrees or so. I was a little concerned at first since I had the pegs for so long and I got used to bracing against them in the curves but I can do it just as well with the floorboards and I can brace against the rear end of the board. They are more comfortable in that your feet are more planted and I can move them around in several positions.
    Last edited by RPM; 05-14-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blickdave View Post
    Good info Olddood, thanks. If a 6'3" rider is already at position 5 with the pegs, do you think the floorboards would be more restrictive? Are the boards lower than the pegs?

The boards are a bit lower than the pegs but my guess would be after you tried them, you'd probably wouldn't go back to the pegs. You can move your feet around and have a big platform to do it on. That may just be my opinion. Everyone has a different riding position and the boards fit mine perfectly. The boards also come with a new shifter arm if you have the manual transmission.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, having them installed next week. I can always save the OEM and go back to pegs if necessary.

Spyder Garage

What is the average price for 3000 m service?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dvmdf View Post
    What is the average price for 3000 m service?

I paid $434. It was more for Amsoil full synthetic oil. Overall, a bit more than I expected

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default oil spec.

Can you tell the oil specification please.? I am thinking about this change as well.!
    martin

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Took my bike to the dealer for its 3000 mile service. Had them put in full synthetic oil instead of BRP's blended oil. I had fairly loud, clunky shifting and I just figured it was normal for the engine. When I left the dealer I couldn't believe how smooth the shifting was. There is no delay, no "clunk", no nothing. It is as smooth as my car. Can't believe that switching to the full synthetic would make such a big difference. The dealer told me it would...

Also, had them adjust my belt and another big difference. Still getting a bit of the "grinding" sensation but much, much less. Now, I'm feeling just a normal belt vibration. I'm curious if any of you with the grinding/vibration of the belt felt a marked improvement after your 3000 mile service.

Another thing, I've been ryding around with my floorboards for a bit now and what a HUGE difference in comfort these make! Definitely recommend them!

I LOVE this bike!!!

Happy ryding all,
    Robert

Spyder Garage

Much smoother shifting
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Can you tell the oil specification please.? I am thinking about this change as well.!
    martin
    Martin,

I used the Amsoil 10-40W motorcycle synthetic oil. BIG difference in shifting.

Hope that works out for you as well,
    Robert

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Guys thank you.. already wrote this down.
    I have to now look what is the best option here in Europe for me. I think Shell has pretty good oils, but have to talk to some people.
    Have a great day,
    Martin

Martin,

I used the Amsoil 10-40W motorcycle synthetic oil. BIG difference in shifting.

Hope that works out for you as well,
    Robert

Spyder Garage

Can't believe that switching to the full synthetic would make such a big difference.
    It didn't-- it's just getting rid of the oil used during the break-in. The same happened with my RS, the same just happened with my CB500; especially with the Honda-- from the time I started riding it until I got to 600 miles I could feel the shifting get sloppier with each passing mile (would start having to shift up twice to get into third sometimes). Swapped out the old oil for the new (dino) oil and now every shift is a smooth perfect thunk.

Now, synthetic will make a difference down the road with the longevity of the clutch, but whether 600 or 3000 miles, just getting rid of that first batch of oil and the crud it likely contains makes the vast majority of the difference, no matter what you replace it with.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    It didn't-- it's just getting rid of the oil used during the break-in. The same happened with my RS, the same just happened with my CB500; especially with the Honda-- from the time I started riding it until I got to 600 miles I could feel the shifting get sloppier with each passing mile (would start having to shift up twice to get into third sometimes). Swapped out the old oil for the new (dino) oil and now every shift is a smooth perfect thunk.

Now, synthetic will make a difference down the road with the longevity of the clutch, but whether 600 or 3000 miles, just getting rid of that first batch of oil and the crud it likely contains makes the vast majority of the difference, no matter what you replace it with.

Possibly... To compare apples to apples, what has been the experience with those that did the first oil change with BRP's synthetic blend? My shifting was always hard from the beginning. A HUGE difference after the oil change.

Spyder Garage

Is this what you used? (the Metric 10w-40)

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MCFQT-EA
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Registered Users mikedoucette66's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I paid $434. It was more for Amsoil full synthetic oil. Overall, a bit more than I expected
    RPM what amsoil oil 5w 40??

Spyder Garage

Yes, it was the 10W-40 Amsoil oil.

Spyder Garage

Did I understand this right? The first service is at 3,000 miles? After the first service, how long are the service intervals?

And on the subject of oil, do these motors use any oil between services?

This is my first post. I ride a Suzuki B-King, but the F3 could possibly tempt me on to three wheels. They look incredible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XB12X View Post
    Did I understand this right? The first service is at 3,000 miles? After the first service, how long are the service intervals?

And on the subject of oil, do these motors use any oil between services?

This is my first post. I ride a Suzuki B-King, but the F3 could possibly tempt me on to three wheels. They look incredible.
    The first service is 3000 miles, and then every 9300 miles after that. See this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rvice+interval

So far mine has not used any oil between services, but I have some on hand just in case. I'm only at about 5500 miles so I have a way to go before my next service.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I am at about 1300m now and will do my change this evening with the Amsoil 10w40 (same as RPM) and report back
    after a ride on Sunday. I have the oil-filter kit coming from BajaRon. (Plus treated myself to some RaceRamp RR-30s
    at the same time)

2008->
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Mini-Trail 50