Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Wow. I'm surprised at all the closed minds here. Might as well not purchase any upgrades produced by others. If you want any then the Spyder is not for you.
    To me, it's an enjoyable past time modify things with wheels. Helps businesses too.
    Thanks for the advice though.

Spyder Garage

The one-up this machine has is the torque. I bet if you open this up just a small bit to 130HP,
    offer some form of a "Stage1" kit for it with exhaust, intake swap, and a "power commander-ish"
    type of tune... there would be a significant difference. May not be liter bike speed but, something
    still not to explode the drivetrain, keep it a drivable unit... that would be nice. (I'd actually like to
    see BRP open-up the ECU a tad to allow for a tad of oversteer in the corners so she rotates a bit
    more).
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
    Wow. I'm surprised at all the closed minds here. Might as well not purchase any upgrades produced by others. If you want any then the Spyder is not for you.
    To me, it's an enjoyable past time modify things with wheels. Helps businesses too.
    The point that I may have been doing a poor job, of trying to make: there are expectations... and there are pipe dreams...
    My Grampa Denman had a good saying that covers this...
    "Putting lipstick on a pig; won't turn it into a Swan. But you can still end up with a nice-looking Pig!"
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-13-2015 at 12:29 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile More Power?

Quote Originally Posted by chspyder View Post
    I have a F3-S SME and I love it, but it really sucks that all my 2 wheel buddies just smoke a 1330cc bike with only 200lbs difference, whats up with some mods I am really looking at a Aerocharger with exhaust and power commander V.

Ideas? possibilities?
    Remember the "ROAD RUNNER & El COYOTE" with the ACME strp-on rocket?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The point that I may have been doing a poor job, of trying to make: there are expectations... and there are pipe dreams...
    My Grampa Denman had a good saying that covers this...
    "Putting lipstick on a pig; won't turn it into a Swan. But you can still end up with a nice-looking Pig!"
    Sounds like something my Granddaddy would have said. Thanks for making me think of him.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad that I could help...
    My Grampa was about the wisest man that I ever knew...

I hope that yours was the same for you!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

speed gains on a vehicle is not all horsepower... aero dynamics plays an important role in speed increases ... and a spyder is about aero dynamic as a barn door... if speed is your thing... buy a ZO1 Corvette .. it will run with just about anything on the road..

osm

Spyder Garage

Default Nitrous forever.

The poor man,s performance.
    Some one will develop a nitrous kit and we'll get crazy power.
    Some engines will have to be sacrificed n the process!

After all this takes place; some kid on a used cycle of some sort will blow us away.

We'll do it for fun ----- and not to be the fastest! It's the wrong device to be the fastest!

Thanks for listening
    Carl

Spyder Garage

I realize that beating 600's is not possible but it sure is fun spanking the old spyders. LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More performance?

Look at the aero-drag and rolling friction...
    Do you need those mean-looking side pods up on the hood? Lose them! What about cleaning up the airflow for the radiators? Cut down whatever you can, that is acting like a sail...
    Go to skinnier tires: 155s up front, and either a 215 or 205 out back...

Lose some weight from the bike:
    Drop the catalytic converter, and drop in a much smaller, lighter battery

NOW it's time to get serious with the engine. Pumping more air through it, means more horsepower.
    Ditch the airbox, and OEM can out back. An open K&N, and your favorite free-flowing noisemaker out back ought to do it...
    Add a fuel controller... it's going to pop and hiss like a Cobra when decelerating!
    Do all of this, and you MIGHT just have the fastest F-3 around.... for about 20 minutes, and then somebody will outspend you!!

Your money; your game!
    (Played this one out with snowmobiles over 20 years ago...)

Spyder Garage

I rode one a few days ago and would not buy one the way it is. My RS would beat it the way it is. Don't get discouraged by the slow pokes. There is lots of room for more power out of this engine. Even the techs with BRP agreed there was way more power in that engine but would not say to much about getting it out and maintaining reliability. Just a matter of time

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    speed gains on a vehicle is not all horsepower... aero dynamics plays an important role in speed increases ... and a spyder is about aero dynamic as a barn door... if speed is your thing... buy a ZO1 Corvette .. it will run with just about anything on the road..

osm

I'll keep my little ol Ford thanks.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Do You Mean...

this one??

Spyder Garage

Default Want a fast Spyder??

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    this one??

I currently own a 2008 GS and also just purchased a 2015 RT-S.

In 2009 an engineer from the one of the Aprilla race support teams developed a kit that put the Can Am 990 back close to the original specs of the 990 before Can Am de-tuned it for liability issues.

The kit included a set of high compression pistons, 02 modifier, new intake, exhaust. The setup makes 140 hp and halls ars! I have put 11,500 mls on the GS since the update with zero issues. I have raced several 600 crotch rockets and beat them to 100, after that the Spyder is just to heavy to stay with them. I have also raced the AeroCharger turbo Spyder setup at Spyderfest, beat that setup by 10 lengths in about a 1/4 mile, the techs were there from AC, they were not happy... 0-60 in just over 4 seconds

Trike is currently for sale in Minneapolis.

Making the RT go fast is the next project...

Daniel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sxonwls View Post

In 2009 an engineer from the one of the Aprilla race support teams developed a kit that put the Can Am 990 back close to the original specs of the 990 before Can Am de-tuned it for liability issues.

The kit included a set of high compression pistons, 02 modifier, new intake, exhaust. The setup makes 140 hp and halls ars! I have put 11,500 mls on the GS since the update with zero issues. I have raced several 600 crotch rockets and beat them to 100, after that the Spyder is just to heavy to stay with them. I have also raced the AeroCharger turbo Spyder setup at Spyderfest, beat that setup by 10 lengths in about a 1/4 mile, the techs were there from AC, they were not happy... 0-60 in just over 4 seconds

Daniel
    Before we purchased a Spyder, our first look was at the 2013 models with the small engine. I did some research and saw that list of mods you mentioned. It was a pretty well thought out setup and if I recall correctly certainly was not free.

It is such a great smile to have when you beat the factory or big teams at their own game. Something not everyone will experience.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not an engine expert and my response is based on other BRP products as well, not just the Spyder. I'm not trying to cause issues here either, its just some thoughts I've had after looking at and riding many BRP products over the years. I suppose I should also say when I say speed or performance I'm not talking about topping out at 150 mph rather than 100 mph. I really could care less about top speed. What I like (want) is hard acceleration. Punch the throttle at 30-40 mph, and feel really strong hard acceleration to 60-80 mph. If you've ridden 600 or 800 2-stroke BRP sleds then you will completely understand what I'm talking about.

BRP 4-Stroke sleds. The 600 Ace, 900 Ace, 1200.......all the BRP 4-stroke sleds I have ridden to be honest are VERY underpowered. Sure if your goal is to cruise the groomed trails at 40-55mph then they are fine but if you want to get off trail or do some performance trail riding then I say without a doubt that a BRP 4-stroke sled IS NOT FOR YOU. You should buy a Yamaha cause they are pulling about 25hp more out of a smaller engine and its clutched to feel like a 2-stroke.

BRP side by sides. I don't own a side x side but a friend of mine does. It has a 1000 Rotax 4-stroke engine. Having ridden and driven this machine I can say that the engine isn't "performance" mined. That's OK because its a side x side. But I stop into the local BRP dealer and I see BRP is offering the 1000 side x side with a turbo and they are making a big deal about how it puts out 120hp. Sure that's an improvement but Yamaha has a smaller 4-stroke with a turbo that is putting out about 55hp more than the Rotax.

I own a 2012 RS Spyder with 990 engine. I love riding it but from the first day (even the test ride) one of my issues is power. The bike needs more "snap". I really don't care about top speed and the Spyder is plenty fast on top end for me. I just want more low and mid range. I want to punch the throttle and feel it turn on.

So that is 3 different BRP products that have 4-stroke engines that to me are underwhelming in the power department. Now, switch gears to BRP 2-stroke sleds and its a whole different story. BRP makes some damn fine 2-stroke motors that put out great HP. When you ride these machines they respond and respond well to throttle input. It makes them very fun to ride. Now, I'm not a huge Yamaha fan but in terms of engines I have to give them credit. They are the only sled/atv/bike manufacturer that seems to be able to put a 4-stroke engine into a snowmobile that has some serious fun factor. These engines respond like the BRP 2-strokes and riding a machine with them is fun. This tells me its possible to have "fun" 4-strokes.

So, in my opinion what I'm calling "fun" 4-strokes (4-strokes that are lighter, put out great horsepower and respond well to the throttle input) can be built for the power sports business (Yamaha proves this) but ROTAX and BRP doesn't seem to be providing their customers with this in any of their products. Why is this? I'm not sure but in my opinion its one of 2 reasons. Either BRP does not want to provide these types of engines in their products or ROTAX is not capable of building a performance 4-stroke engine.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SUPER SPYDER

Daniel
    ...#1. How much are you asking for it ???....#2......How did you fool / trick / defeat the computers........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not true in the jetski world. In the jetski world the Rotax 4tec motor is pretty much the motor to have. Great power, light weight, durable, fantastic upgrades available.
    2 strokes are fading fast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree 2-strokes are fading fast. What scares me is the 4-stroke replacements will not even be close to what the 2-stroke customer expectations. I'd love to buy a 4-stroke snowmobile but currently there isn't a manufacturer that produces one that can truly replace a 2-stroke. When you take the "fun" factor away from something its not fun anymore. These 4-stroke sleds have no "fun" factor. They have a more "utility" type factor.

That's what I want more of in my Spyder, the "fun" factor. I believe its power plant is limited the fun factor (for me anyway). I have not ridden a 1330. I would never buy an RT so I'd have to pick up and F3. I have not ridden one but did sit on the dealer demo last week. Honestly, I just wasn't comfortable. I'm short (5'-8", 175 lbs) and I felt very cramped up on the F3. I'd have to adjust the pegs to see if that could be solved. I'm going to stop by the dealer with my helmet and give it a test ride soon. Maybe 2016 will have the 1330 (performance tuned) in an RS?

I don't want to sound like the HP rating is what its all about. Its not really. For me its all about what the "seat of my pants" tells me when I ride. It doesn't matter if it has 1 or 500hp, it just has to make you feel like you can't grab that $5 bill off the dash (even if you physically can) cause the power is pushing you backward.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I agree 2-strokes are fading fast. What scares me is the 4-stroke replacements will not even be close to what the 2-stroke customer expectations. I'd love to buy a 4-stroke snowmobile but currently there isn't a manufacturer that produces one that can truly replace a 2-stroke. When you take the "fun" factor away from something its not fun anymore. These 4-stroke sleds have no "fun" factor. They have a more "utility" type factor.

That's what I want more of in my Spyder, the "fun" factor. I believe its power plant is limited the fun factor (for me anyway). I have not ridden a 1330. I would never buy an RT so I'd have to pick up and F3. I have not ridden one but did sit on the dealer demo last week. Honestly, I just wasn't comfortable. I'm short (5'-8", 175 lbs) and I felt very cramped up on the F3. I'd have to adjust the pegs to see if that could be solved. I'm going to stop by the dealer with my helmet and give it a test ride soon. Maybe 2016 will have the 1330 (performance tuned) in an RS?

I don't want to sound like the HP rating is what its all about. Its not really. For me its all about what the "seat of my pants" tells me when I ride. It doesn't matter if it has 1 or 500hp, it just has to make you feel like you can't grab that $5 bill off the dash (even if you physically can) cause the power is pushing you backward.
    Give it a chance. We thought the same for the skis and now I'd never even consider going back to 2 stroke. Forced induction allows for some serious power in a pretty light weight package. Pretty common to see 300hp+, kawi is even doing 310hp stock. 260hp stock 3 cyl rotax stock with huge potential available. That's unheard of in the 2 stroke world.
    It's the way of the future my friend....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default closed minded

I didn't think of it like that. Your correct and I do understand where your coming from. This is the first bike I've owned that I haven't purchased multiple power upgrades for, it's just not why I ride the Spyder. I will try to be a little less closed minded
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Spyder Garage

Default get a sport bike

Power to weight plain and simple if you want to go fast lose the weight get a sport bike. I have a Yamaha FZ1 150 Hp on the ground about 435 lbs. My F3 nice trike fun to ride plenty of power for the size and weight. If your buddies are on sport bikes your left behind, find a bunch of old farts on baggers you will be OK. My wife's 2012 RT will out do friends baggers with stage 3 kits and Her bike is stock. So I know the F3 will hold its own. When I want to ride all day and not worry about my bad hip I jump on the F3. If I want to toast some butt get out the FZ1 and let her rip. The cat pipe we put sounds nice not sure how much power it gained but it makes me smile when I get on it. Best thing multiple bikes one for every occasion, Jim.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...#1. How much are you asking for it ???....#2......How did you fool / trick / defeat the computers........Mike
    Hi Mike,

I am asking $9800.

The set up is very simple, the O2 modifier is the factory unit with a slight modification, it allows you to adjust the fuel pressure manually, you simply hook up a pressure gauge and change the fuel/ air ratio if wanted, honestly I haven't changed it from the setting recommend from Ken the engineer. Once a summer I check it to make sure nothing has changed. It hasn't changed in over 11,000 mls. My understanding is that the O2 modifier modifies the signal AFTER the ECU so the ECU has no idea it exists. The cool thing is that with this approach the ECU still functions normally for adjustments in ambient temp changes. Everything works like it was suppose to from the factory. Remember: the original Aprilla motors that were used in the early Spyders produced 160 hp in their street bikes setup, so all this kit is an exchange of parts that Can Am used to de-tune the motor.

If you have any interest in learning more call me and I can explain in better detail.

Bike is in better than new condition.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...028698581.html

Daniel

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,

I am asking $9800.

The set up is very simple, the O2 modifier is the factory unit with a slight modification, it allows you to adjust the fuel pressure manually, you simply hook up a pressure gauge and change the fuel/ air ratio if wanted, honestly I haven't changed it from the setting recommend from Ken the engineer. Once a summer I check it to make sure nothing has changed. It hasn't changed in over 11,000 mls. My understanding is that the O2 modifier modifies the signal AFTER the ECU so the ECU has no idea it exists. The cool thing is that with this approach the ECU still functions normally for adjustments in ambient temp changes. Everything works like it was suppose to from the factory. Remember: the original Aprilla motors that were used in the early Spyders produced 160 hp in their street bikes setup, so all this kit is an exchange of parts that Can Am used to de-tune the motor.

If you have any interest in learning more call me and I can explain in better detail.

Bike is in better than new condition.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...028698581.html

Daniel
    Is "Ken the engineer" familiar with the F3 setup? I've been looking for someone with the knowledge and experience to unlock the 1330's potential!
    Ride: 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6, Pure Magnesium Metallic
    Accessories/Mods: Gauge Spoiler, Passenger Short Rail, SmoothSpyder Backrest, BajaRon SwayBar with Heim Joint Links, Lamonster Performance Pipe

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Add me to the list that would truly like to see a tuner available for the CanAm ECU. I also think there is real market for this with there now being over 100,000 Spyders on the road.
    Right on. Add me too !