Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I need more power, Scotty!

I have a F3-S SME and I love it, but it really sucks that all my 2 wheel buddies just smoke a 1330cc bike with only 200lbs difference, whats up with some mods I am really looking at a Aerocharger with exhaust and power commander V.

Ideas? possibilities?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chspyder View Post
    I have a F3-S SME and I love it, but it really sucks that all my 2 wheel buddies just smoke a 1330cc bike with only 200lbs difference, whats up with some mods I am really looking at a Aerocharger with exhaust and power commander V.

Ideas? possibilities?
    There are some options to juice up the performance of the . A couple from 2008 and 2009 put turbochargers on their 's. A couple blown engines were the result, if I am not mistaken. Not sure what that will do to your warranty, but am guessing that must not be an issue for you.

See posts by Seth-O and Doc Doru. Might be some others, but don't remember them. Both of the above like speed.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-12-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Honestly, when you compare modern moto engines, the 1330 is pretty tame. For it's displacement it is derated to maybe 65% of what that size engine could produce. Add in the additional weight, the additional rotating weight, increased frontal area and it all adds up. Still fun, but no racer.

FWIW, the RT series is worse with more bodywork and a barndoor windscreen.

If Lamont does get his F3 dialed in and sprayed, assuming the engine platform and gearbox can handle the HP, his machine should run.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I though I was the only one who felt like this bike ran like a mid level fighter and not the champ it has the potential to be. My 1000 outlander max would out run my F3 0-60. I hope the bike warms up a little more or we will be parting ways sooner than later.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Start with the exhaust, that should free up some power.http://www.shopspyderlovers.com/performance-3/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

The Spyder, no matter what model it is, is not for everyone. IMO if you want a fast bike to suit your urge to pump your ego, buy something like the big bad BMW model or the Kawasaki. Many are happy with the F3.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default What the can-am demo tech said to me at spyderfest 2015

I come from the racing cycle world and was surprised how completely different the motors feel in an F3 and an RT with both being 1330cc. At spyderfest 2015 there was a very busy can-am tech guy and we got down to the bones about this motor. Here is what he shared. This motor is capable of spining an easy 10,500 to 11,00 rpm with the existing cam and bucket valve set up. With ECU, exhaust and intrack changes he says this motor has been getting 150 hp in factory testing. In a snowmobile motor they have gotten 175 hp.
    He said, Both the F3 and especially the RT retard the timing to restrict power after 6,000 rpm where in the racing world you advance timing to get a compounding difference in engine performance. Kind of a liability thing.
    He said, bottom line is this motor can dependably deliver easy 135 hp @ 10,500 rpm. It all starts with convincing company's that do ECU reflashing that there is enough interest to take on our system. And we need to convince company's like Dyno Jet to support our bikes with a product. Right now I don't find one on their site
    Next winter I am sending my 2015 RT ECU out to my contact for the following changes.
    1. get rid of the wait period before you can start the RT.
    2. Change nanny to the F3 specs so I can lift a wheel in a corner.
    3. knock out the government mandated fuel cut on closed throttle
    4. Smooth out the timing curves to the suggested 7,500 redline. Mine is a touring bike after all

For your F3 want list it is no different than racing cycles.
    1. Kill nanny and live on the edge. ECU
    2. No cat and a good header and muffler.
    3. 10,500 red line with full power curves in all gears. ECU
    4. Knock out fuel cut. ECU
    5. Fuel management system set up on a dyno machine. I can' find one for can-ams??

If we all call companys like this: http://ecunleashed.com/ and talk to tuners like this: http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/index.htm we can get the ball rolling and the rest will follw the money with the supporting products we need.

Just thought I would share what the tech told me not to do. Wink Wink

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

you have a lot to contend with but those mentioned can give you some pointers. Or gut it put in a hyabusa engine in and smoke them all. You will have to figure out all the computer controled safety stuff or loose it. Abs, dps, vss and all the other ss'es...if you do you will show us before you head out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Ideas? possibilities?

Add one of these

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you have a lot to contend with but those mentioned can give you some pointers. Or gut it put in a hyabusa engine in and smoke them all. You will have to figure out all the computer controled safety stuff or loose it. Abs, dps, vss and all the other ss'es...if you do you will show us before you head out...
    This might work

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same cc as the Hybusa motor

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Even better than a busa, we have a triple cylinder which by design has perfect primary crank balance. i e, no counter balancers needed on the crank. We share the same shim and bucket cam system design. My ECU guy is already weenie whineing about all the 1s and 0s of code he has to sort through to find my requested changes. I lied to him and told him if he cracks the divinci codes that thousands of my fellow cam-am riders will sign up for his services. Litterly ECU code needles in a hay stack. But for hot rod can-am needs it all starts in the ECU changes.
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 05-12-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ideas? possibilities?
    200 pounds is a huge difference... Add to that the F3 smokes the rear tire pretty much at will!!!
    Solving the traction issue would be first on the list..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    This might work

Yes,,, I'm sure that would more than scratch that itch for speed!!! Looks sweeeeet!!!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I had the funds or the know how to do the conversion, I would install the V4 from a 2nd. generation Vmax. That is 200 hp, with a lot of tq. as well. It would be the perfect sleeper if this could be installed on a ST platform.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dennis, have you by any chance looked to see if BRP is still using the Seimens ECU with the 14'+ 1330 motor setups?
    A close contact has done all of what your saying with the cable controlled v990 setups. Great success with the tuning on the engine, touch and go toning down the nanny without turning it completely off.

Spyder Garage

Add me to the list that would truly like to see a tuner available for the CanAm ECU. I also think there is real market for this with there now being over 100,000 Spyders on the road.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ideas? possibilities?

The Spyder is not a fast bike. Truthfully this is the first bike I've owned that it seems is frequently being challenged by 4 wheelers! Many lesser cc motorcycles are faster. Also take into consideration that you are pushing a lot of rubber down the road and displacing a lot of air. I believe the open wheel / tire also has a negative affect on fuel economy.

I love my Spyder but did not buy it for speed. I compare it more to a car when it comes to how fast it is. I also would say it is the most FUN bike I've ever owned

Good luck with your modifications; let us know what you come up with and ride safe.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    200 pounds is a huge difference... Add to that the F3 smokes the rear tire pretty much at will!!!
    Solving the traction issue would be first on the list..

200 pounds makes all the difference in the World...
    The Spyder was never designed to compete directly against the leaners, in contest of speeds.

Go find yourself a new Kawasaki Ninja H2, if it's that important to you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't think the Spyder will ever compete with crotch rockets but....

That does not mean there isn't untapped potential that can make a fun bike ......FUNNER!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

.... you figure to start with it is 850lbs vs 400lbs, plus the sheer size of the tires
    on the ground. For what the F3 is, really not bad at all and not slow all things considered.
    (But agreed it will never be a squidmobile)
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

http://www.monster-products.com

I'm sure this guy could build a stand alone ECU. I have the full tune monster ECU on my quad and have full control of every possible engine adjustment. Dual cylinder auto tune also.

Spyder Garage

Subscribed.
    Two tuners had tunes available for Canam Turbo Mavericks within 3 months of products release. Wonder if one of them would be interested?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tune and tweak all that you want...

...The Spyder will never compete against even a "mere" 600cc sportbike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife's STL is quite fast. I have a 2014 Valkyrie 1800 and I really have to twist the throttle to keep up with her. If you need more power then I would say that the Spyder is not for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Tune and tweak all that you want...

...The Spyder will never compete against even a "mere" 600cc sportbike.
    Bob, I agree, but I think you're being too narrow in your verdict.

It's one thing to get 600cc sport, let alone a liter supersport bike, power out of a 1330 triple lugging around the F3's weight. I agree, that can't be done, and chasing that dream is fool's gold.

But there's a wiiiiiiddddddde gulf between a liter bike and even lesser bikes that all can get far more moxie out of smaller-displacement engines than the F3 appears to get out of 1330cc.

I think-- I *know*-- there is plenty of room for improvement in that engine. Only question is, how to get at it-- and get at it at a price that doesn't make the whole exercise a complete waste of money.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!