Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I need more power, Scotty!

I have a F3-S SME and I love it, but it really sucks that all my 2 wheel buddies just smoke a 1330cc bike with only 200lbs difference, whats up with some mods I am really looking at a Aerocharger with exhaust and power commander V.

Ideas? possibilities?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chspyder View Post
    I have a F3-S SME and I love it, but it really sucks that all my 2 wheel buddies just smoke a 1330cc bike with only 200lbs difference, whats up with some mods I am really looking at a Aerocharger with exhaust and power commander V.

Ideas? possibilities?
    There are some options to juice up the performance of the . A couple from 2008 and 2009 put turbochargers on their 's. A couple blown engines were the result, if I am not mistaken. Not sure what that will do to your warranty, but am guessing that must not be an issue for you.

See posts by Seth-O and Doc Doru. Might be some others, but don't remember them. Both of the above like speed.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-12-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Honestly, when you compare modern moto engines, the 1330 is pretty tame. For it's displacement it is derated to maybe 65% of what that size engine could produce. Add in the additional weight, the additional rotating weight, increased frontal area and it all adds up. Still fun, but no racer.

FWIW, the RT series is worse with more bodywork and a barndoor windscreen.

If Lamont does get his F3 dialed in and sprayed, assuming the engine platform and gearbox can handle the HP, his machine should run.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I though I was the only one who felt like this bike ran like a mid level fighter and not the champ it has the potential to be. My 1000 outlander max would out run my F3 0-60. I hope the bike warms up a little more or we will be parting ways sooner than later.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Start with the exhaust, that should free up some power.http://www.shopspyderlovers.com/performance-3/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

The Spyder, no matter what model it is, is not for everyone. IMO if you want a fast bike to suit your urge to pump your ego, buy something like the big bad BMW model or the Kawasaki. Many are happy with the F3.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default What the can-am demo tech said to me at spyderfest 2015

I come from the racing cycle world and was surprised how completely different the motors feel in an F3 and an RT with both being 1330cc. At spyderfest 2015 there was a very busy can-am tech guy and we got down to the bones about this motor. Here is what he shared. This motor is capable of spining an easy 10,500 to 11,00 rpm with the existing cam and bucket valve set up. With ECU, exhaust and intrack changes he says this motor has been getting 150 hp in factory testing. In a snowmobile motor they have gotten 175 hp.
    He said, Both the F3 and especially the RT retard the timing to restrict power after 6,000 rpm where in the racing world you advance timing to get a compounding difference in engine performance. Kind of a liability thing.
    He said, bottom line is this motor can dependably deliver easy 135 hp @ 10,500 rpm. It all starts with convincing company's that do ECU reflashing that there is enough interest to take on our system. And we need to convince company's like Dyno Jet to support our bikes with a product. Right now I don't find one on their site
    Next winter I am sending my 2015 RT ECU out to my contact for the following changes.
    1. get rid of the wait period before you can start the RT.
    2. Change nanny to the F3 specs so I can lift a wheel in a corner.
    3. knock out the government mandated fuel cut on closed throttle
    4. Smooth out the timing curves to the suggested 7,500 redline. Mine is a touring bike after all

For your F3 want list it is no different than racing cycles.
    1. Kill nanny and live on the edge. ECU
    2. No cat and a good header and muffler.
    3. 10,500 red line with full power curves in all gears. ECU
    4. Knock out fuel cut. ECU
    5. Fuel management system set up on a dyno machine. I can' find one for can-ams??

If we all call companys like this: http://ecunleashed.com/ and talk to tuners like this: http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/index.htm we can get the ball rolling and the rest will follw the money with the supporting products we need.

Just thought I would share what the tech told me not to do. Wink Wink

Spyder Garage

Ideas? possibilities?

Add one of these

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default what?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Add one of these.
    Alright, who's sailing a Newport 41? I used to race on one of those. Nice boats.

Spyder Garage

Ideas? possibilities?
    200 pounds is a huge difference... Add to that the F3 smokes the rear tire pretty much at will!!!
    Solving the traction issue would be first on the list..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    200 pounds is a huge difference... Add to that the F3 smokes the rear tire pretty much at will!!!
    Solving the traction issue would be first on the list..

200 pounds makes all the difference in the World...
    The Spyder was never designed to compete directly against the leaners, in contest of speeds.

Go find yourself a new Kawasaki Ninja H2, if it's that important to you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't think the Spyder will ever compete with crotch rockets but....

That does not mean there isn't untapped potential that can make a fun bike ......FUNNER!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

.... you figure to start with it is 850lbs vs 400lbs, plus the sheer size of the tires
    on the ground. For what the F3 is, really not bad at all and not slow all things considered.
    (But agreed it will never be a squidmobile)
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

http://www.monster-products.com

I'm sure this guy could build a stand alone ECU. I have the full tune monster ECU on my quad and have full control of every possible engine adjustment. Dual cylinder auto tune also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dennis, have you by any chance looked to see if BRP is still using the Seimens ECU with the 14'+ 1330 motor setups?
    A close contact has done all of what your saying with the cable controlled v990 setups. Great success with the tuning on the engine, touch and go toning down the nanny without turning it completely off.

Spyder Garage

Add me to the list that would truly like to see a tuner available for the CanAm ECU. I also think there is real market for this with there now being over 100,000 Spyders on the road.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Add me to the list that would truly like to see a tuner available for the CanAm ECU. I also think there is real market for this with there now being over 100,000 Spyders on the road.
    Right on. Add me too !

Spyder Garage

Default Power to the people..

Quote Originally Posted by latinojj View Post
    Right on. Add me too !
    No, unfortunately Ken is not working on the new 1330, the original motors for the GS were transplanted from the 990 Aprilla street bike. The new 1330 is specific built by Bombardier so Kens wizardry is not applicable..

The best hope for 1330 performance upgrades is going to come from the snowmobile industry when Ski-doo releases it in their sleds, rumor has it they will be in the 2017 sleds. Then it will be how much power do you want because the turbo set ups that will be offered will easily be in the 230hp-260hp range on 92 octane.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sxonwls View Post
    No, unfortunately Ken is not working on the new 1330, the original motors for the GS were transplanted from the 990 Aprilla street bike. The new 1330 is specific built by Bombardier so Kens wizardry is not applicable..

The best hope for 1330 performance upgrades is going to come from the snowmobile industry when Ski-doo releases it in their sleds, rumor has it they will be in the 2017 sleds. Then it will be how much power do you want because the turbo set ups that will be offered will easily be in the 230hp-260hp range on 92 octane.
    This sounds promising... I wonder if any work is being done in preparation for the 1330 being put in the 2017 sleds. Don't want to wait 2+ years lol. One thing I was interested in is the feasibility of a supercharger. It seems like that would be better suited than a turbo for the Spyder.
    Ride: 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6, Pure Magnesium Metallic
    Accessories/Mods: Gauge Spoiler, Passenger Short Rail, SmoothSpyder Backrest, BajaRon SwayBar with Heim Joint Links, Lamonster Performance Pipe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ideas? possibilities?

The Spyder is not a fast bike. Truthfully this is the first bike I've owned that it seems is frequently being challenged by 4 wheelers! Many lesser cc motorcycles are faster. Also take into consideration that you are pushing a lot of rubber down the road and displacing a lot of air. I believe the open wheel / tire also has a negative affect on fuel economy.

I love my Spyder but did not buy it for speed. I compare it more to a car when it comes to how fast it is. I also would say it is the most FUN bike I've ever owned

Good luck with your modifications; let us know what you come up with and ride safe.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Spyder Garage

Smile More Power?

Ideas? possibilities?
    Remember the "ROAD RUNNER & El COYOTE" with the ACME strp-on rocket?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not true in the jetski world. In the jetski world the Rotax 4tec motor is pretty much the motor to have. Great power, light weight, durable, fantastic upgrades available.
    2 strokes are fading fast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree 2-strokes are fading fast. What scares me is the 4-stroke replacements will not even be close to what the 2-stroke customer expectations. I'd love to buy a 4-stroke snowmobile but currently there isn't a manufacturer that produces one that can truly replace a 2-stroke. When you take the "fun" factor away from something its not fun anymore. These 4-stroke sleds have no "fun" factor. They have a more "utility" type factor.

That's what I want more of in my Spyder, the "fun" factor. I believe its power plant is limited the fun factor (for me anyway). I have not ridden a 1330. I would never buy an RT so I'd have to pick up and F3. I have not ridden one but did sit on the dealer demo last week. Honestly, I just wasn't comfortable. I'm short (5'-8", 175 lbs) and I felt very cramped up on the F3. I'd have to adjust the pegs to see if that could be solved. I'm going to stop by the dealer with my helmet and give it a test ride soon. Maybe 2016 will have the 1330 (performance tuned) in an RS?

I don't want to sound like the HP rating is what its all about. Its not really. For me its all about what the "seat of my pants" tells me when I ride. It doesn't matter if it has 1 or 500hp, it just has to make you feel like you can't grab that $5 bill off the dash (even if you physically can) cause the power is pushing you backward.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I agree 2-strokes are fading fast. What scares me is the 4-stroke replacements will not even be close to what the 2-stroke customer expectations. I'd love to buy a 4-stroke snowmobile but currently there isn't a manufacturer that produces one that can truly replace a 2-stroke. When you take the "fun" factor away from something its not fun anymore. These 4-stroke sleds have no "fun" factor. They have a more "utility" type factor.

That's what I want more of in my Spyder, the "fun" factor. I believe its power plant is limited the fun factor (for me anyway). I have not ridden a 1330. I would never buy an RT so I'd have to pick up and F3. I have not ridden one but did sit on the dealer demo last week. Honestly, I just wasn't comfortable. I'm short (5'-8", 175 lbs) and I felt very cramped up on the F3. I'd have to adjust the pegs to see if that could be solved. I'm going to stop by the dealer with my helmet and give it a test ride soon. Maybe 2016 will have the 1330 (performance tuned) in an RS?

I don't want to sound like the HP rating is what its all about. Its not really. For me its all about what the "seat of my pants" tells me when I ride. It doesn't matter if it has 1 or 500hp, it just has to make you feel like you can't grab that $5 bill off the dash (even if you physically can) cause the power is pushing you backward.
    Give it a chance. We thought the same for the skis and now I'd never even consider going back to 2 stroke. Forced induction allows for some serious power in a pretty light weight package. Pretty common to see 300hp+, kawi is even doing 310hp stock. 260hp stock 3 cyl rotax stock with huge potential available. That's unheard of in the 2 stroke world.
    It's the way of the future my friend....

Spyder Garage

Default F3 exhaust upgrade is best

Ideas? possibilities?
    I've had 3 Hayabusa's 2003 on engine, 2006 on NOS, & currently considering selling my 2007 turbo busa with 340 rwhp & 200lb torque. I remember when the 186 mph speed de-restrictor mod came out & was back ordered by everyone. This kid comes into the owners speed shop & says he's got to have one now. the shop owner told him to take his bike out to 180 mph a few times & if he liked it--come back :-) Never saw the kid again :-) There's a lot to be done with ecu flashing but the remainder of the package also needs upgrades. The 1330 compression is too high to allow more boost--turbo or charger.repace the pistons-rods-valve springs, etc--Then the tranny needs reinforced, then the suspension. C16 fuel is $19/gal. endless $$ upgrades on a machine not designed for "Fast". Get another 10 hp with a better exhaust & have fun on a reliable ride.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black