Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question To Swaybar or Not to Swaybar

I Have a 2012 RTS just got it and I've read everything on Syderlovers that I can find about swaybars. Everyone that has one says its the first thing that needs to be changed as it make a big difference in handling, sticks to road better in all riding conditions. If its such a must to change why dosen't BRP build the Spyder with a stiffer swaybar to turn it into the wonderful ride that owners say it does? The next question is what do you give up when the swaybar is put on. I'm thinking you must loose something in the ride, handling, performance and tire wear? There must be a down side or BRP would build it with the more firm swaybar. Any comments would be great to help me understand why I should put the upgraded swaybar on my Spyder. Is there a down side to this upgraded swaybar.

Jim

Spyder Garage

If there is a down side, i don't know what it is ............................ Just up side so far.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only thing you give up when you install one is the $ you paid for it. I have had a BajaRon sway bar on all 3 of my Spyders, on Wednesday I rode a friends 2013 RT that does not have one and I was reminded of how important they are. It was windy and his Spyder was all over the road, scared the daylights out of me.

Why doesn't BRP put on a beefier one in production, probably because the one they use is cheaper than a larger one would be. Why do they use plastic for heim joints when billet aluminum is better, because plastic is cheaper. You get what you pay for and thicker is better.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The sway bar was the second mod installed on my 2012 RTL when it was new. It is by far the best improvement to handling that is currently available, in my opinion. As far as why BRP doesn't do this from the factory, is anyones guess. I have been riding factory motorcycles for many years and I have found that the aftermarket mods have improved the handling characteristics on all that I've modified.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default sway bar

I also recently bought a 2012 RTS and have given the sway bar some thought after reading feedback from others. However, although I have started riding it pretty hard on occasion I am not convinced an upgraded sway bar is needed

. I find stability control kicks in well before I would like so can't really push it that hard anyway. Maybe in time I will reconsider but for now the stock bar seems ok. BTW I was a sport bike rider before getting the Spyder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GOOD QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    I Have a 2012 RTS just got it and I've read everything on Syderlovers that I can find about swaybars. Everyone that has one says its the first thing that needs to be changed as it make a big difference in handling, sticks to road better in all riding conditions. If its such a must to change why dosen't BRP build the Spyder with a stiffer swaybar to turn it into the wonderful ride that owners say it does? The next question is what do you give up when the swaybar is put on. I'm thinking you must loose something in the ride, handling, performance and tire wear? There must be a down side or BRP would build it with the more firm swaybar. Any comments would be great to help me understand why I should put the upgraded swaybar on my Spyder. Is there a down side to this upgraded swaybar.

Jim
    I have pondered the same thing......maybe for different reasons. Improving performance handling can be approached two ways. Shocks or Sway bar.....Of these the safer bet is sway bar.......It does things differently than shocks will and the trade-off is less IMHO......The Shock route can be very time / money consuming getting it right. The right shocks will improve handling but I think it's very easy to end up with a harsher ride. The why BRP doesn't offer a stiffer SWAYBAR is very complicated. They have to be middle road to please many many consumers , I think that's the economics of it. Not the actual cost of the sway bar.........I went an entirely different route with my 2014 RT......I changed the angle of my front shocks with DIY custom brackets, I got to try them out at Spyderfest and was totally blown away by the improved handling........The Spyder litterly had more grip than I had the nerve to push it.....and this was with the OEM shocks and springs ..........Good Luck ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by desertryder View Post
    I also recently bought a 2012 RTS and have given the sway bar some thought after reading feedback from others. However, although I have started riding it pretty hard on occasion I am not convinced an upgraded sway bar is needed

. I find stability control kicks in well before I would like so can't really push it that hard anyway. Maybe in time I will reconsider but for now the stock bar seems ok. BTW I was a sport bike rider before getting the Spyder
    The sway bar upgrade not only tames the road, it also calms the Nanny. She senses that you're in control so she leaves you alone until it's time to reign you in again. I think you will find that you really like the bar kit. If not, there is a 100% money back guarantee.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

most vehicle manufacturers produce the middle of the road products. The oem bar works fine for the average ryder and if you feel comfortable with your ryde you really don't need one. If you are feeling wind blown, slow in the curves or have handling issues this is the place to start.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by desertryder View Post

The stability control will not kick in as soon if the front wheels are planted better. Our 2012 RT handles great with the sway bar upgrade and the aluminum links.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up To Swaybar !!

There isn't a down side to installing a better sway bar. Personally, I got tired of being thrown the opposite way from the way I was turning. With a beefier anti-sway bar, I went through curves without that feeling. I think that BRP was trying to appeal to the Caddy and Lincoln crowd with the "boat" feel that they were used to. IMHFO !
    I tried the Foxx shocks, but they didn't take care of the "sway" so I went on to Baha Ron's sway bar and it took care of the "sway". If you try it and don't like it, I'm sure he would take it back as he's just that kind of a guy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of people think that they don't need one, then you see them going down the highway, hanging on for dear life, too frightened to take a hand off the bars to wave at fellow Spyder riders. Afraid that they will be blown off the Spyder if they don't have that death grip while I ride by them waving at them with both hands and a big smile, happy that I have a BajaRon bar and a Squared Away laser alignment.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default All Good & No downside that I've experienced

I have a Bajaron sway bar on my 15 RT-Limited and I've experienced all of the positive aspects that everyone else mentions and so far no downsides. What I like the most is that I can keep the suspension on softer settings for comfort, and not give up anything in control. You will notice the difference immediately.

Rob

Spyder Garage

Just returned from a 5000+ mile ride across this great nation . . . out in Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico, where two lane roads that would have 55 MPH speed limits are 75 MPH. When I was doing 80 on those roads, and a semi-trailer blew by me, going the other way, also with the pedal to the metal, the Baja Ron Sway Bar paid for itself . . . Topper stayed rock steady with none of that buffeting. Also, the strong cross winds that were buffeting me on the ride through west Texas, on the trip out, were tamed and very manageable as I sped down the road. The Victory that I met in Texarkana for the ride out, was on a very noticeable lean for that entire portion of the ride to Tucson from Llano, TX.

"To each his own" said the farmer, as he kissed his cow . . . and some folks may not think they need it, but I am very happy I put on the Baja Ron Sway Bar . . . it was worth every cent.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Both the sway bar and better shocks (at least on the front) make a huge difference. The shocks are an easy upgrade as well... Takes about 20 minutes to swap the fronts.
    If you do the sway bar, also upgrade the heim joints. There is no downside to these upgrades and they'll make all the difference in the world as far as handling goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

For a 2012.ABSOLUTELY get the RonBar. You won't be sorry.
    Get the RonLinks as well.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

... If its such a must to change why dosen't BRP build the Spyder with a stiffer swaybar to turn it into the wonderful ride that owners say it does? ...
    Jim
    The same could be said for almost any performance vehicle.
    Look at all the after-market stuff you can get for Corvette, Mustang, VW, Audi, the list goes on. Mass produced modes of transport are built at a price point to fit the greater mass of the population. If they came from the factory with every upgrade already on them, they'd be priced out of the reach of most consumers.

That's my take on it anyway.

Spyder Garage

If its such a must to change why dosen't BRP build the Spyder with a stiffer swaybar to turn it into the wonderful ride that owners say it does? Jim
    I think it's just the evolution of design. My 2010 RTS wallowed like a stuffed pig until I upgraded the suspension.
    My 2014 handles great right out of the box.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I had this conversation with the Service guy at the dealer. He went on a speal that sounded like it came from BRP lawyers. He said "BRP spent millions in testing to figure out what sway bar to use and you say that some guy in a garage knows better?" He said "they would install it only if I signed a waver releasing BRP of any liability if I got hurt in a wreck. "
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Installation cost?

I'm not a DIT guy. Did anyone have the dealer install it and what did it cost to install?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    I'm not a DIT guy. Did anyone have the dealer install it and what did it cost to install?
    Not a DIY guy? Don't sell yourself short. Drive 'er up on a pair of car ramps and spend an hour hr learning the underside of your ride. I guarantee you can do the bar swap. A ratchet/socket, a wrench, and a 2x4 to hold the frunk out of the way....piece o cake. There are several videos of the job to watch first..The guys that take the time to shoot the videos have saved a lot of people a lot of money that would have otherwise been spent at the stealerships. Plus, the learning experiences are priceless.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Beware of liars

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I had this conversation with the Service guy at the dealer. He went on a speal that sounded like it came from BRP lawyers. He said "BRP spent millions in testing to figure out what sway bar to use and you say that some guy in a garage knows better?" He said "they would install it only if I signed a waver releasing BRP of any liability if I got hurt in a wreck. "
    That is BS, pure BS, and nothing but BS. If your deader would lie to you about this, he will lie to you about other things. Beware of this dealer !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have a 2015 RT Limited also. I'm 250# and if I take my wife at 125# the stock trike would wallow in curves or corners. Even alone it would wallow. With Bajaron sway bars is like its on rails. Also, on roads that are sloped, it tracks truer than with the stock bars. Ride is not affected. Happy I purchased and would recommend.

Spyder Garage

Any comments would be great to help me understand why I should put the upgraded swaybar on my Spyder. Is there a down side to this upgraded swaybar.

Jim
    Jim,

I was skeptical at first too, making the same "arguments" that you just did. My skepticism vanished the very first ride after I picked up my Spyder from the dealer after having the beefier Baja Ron sway bar installed. I promise that yours will too. Stop thinking about it and just do it!

To answer Wazoo's question, I think my dealer charged me about $100 to install it, which isn't a lot considering today's shop prices. It doesn't take a lot of time if you have the proper tools to do it (which I did not).
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-11-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default sway bar

I weigh in at 200# and ride alone. Man what a difference in the curves and on windy roads.
    Car ramps would not give me 24" of clearance under the bike so I let my dealer do it for $160, and it got the wife off my back.
    Oh did I say I have no regrets what so Ever.

Spyder Garage

I will just add this... I am 250 lbs at 6'4" so I make the Spyder even more top heavy. I am a big guy not a fat guy!

When I first got my Spyder 2011-RTS and cranked the shocks to pre-load 5, I was pretty happy with it.
    So the Sway Bar was not on my list. I as a n00b at that time did not feel it was worth the price as again, I was pretty happy. I was not going to drink the "cool-aid" everyone seemed to be passing around here at the time.

Let me just say, after adding it, it did make a difference and one I do appreciate.

But let me be clear to what it does... It kind of upsets me when people say the sway bar helps solve wind buffeting at highway speeds, etc. IT DOES NOT! What it does is when you hit a corner, the body roll is reduced. Seriously that is all it does... It's a SWAY BAR made to stiffen body roll not a shock! Going straight down the road do not expect it to solve handling issues like that!

OK so when my Wife rode with me after the sway bar add, she noticed the difference even more than I did. Again body roll in corners!

With that said... Here is a recent Vblog video I did of a ride we had locally in some twisties that rival most roads you will ever do. I have to say... NO FREAKIN WAY would I have been able to push a RT like this with the stock sway bar....

Oh and I am still running the stock shocks!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-11-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black