Thread: jack points

Spyder Garage

Default jack points

The user manual hasn't been read cover to cover yet... only had it one day. The manual suggest "manually lifting the front end" in order to turn the front shock pre-load ring. They claim if you don't damage can occur... well anyway I doubt I am strong enough to manually lift the front end and adjust the preload at the same time. I would prefer a jack and jackstands. What is the easiest way? I have a motorcycle lift and a transmission jack. I have jackstands. How woiuld I plaace the jackstands if adjusting preload? Doesn't seem to make sense to use ramps as the springs on the shocks wouild still be fully loaded.

Spyder Garage

As you didn't state what year Spyder you have is it safe to assume 2010-2012. Yes the shocks have to be unloaded to adjust them. You said you have ramps so drive up on them and then slide a jack under the frunk and locate the jack so the jack point is on the most forward part of the frame behind the frunk. Jack it up and remove one ramp, have someone put pressure on the wheel that still has the ramp under it. Adjust the shock and replace the ramp. go to the other side and repeat.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

what you have in the way of jacks. A stands don't work in this case the wheel needs to hang. Floor jack under the end of the frame behind the frunk or what many use is the atv/motorcycle lift... great if your going to do your own work...harbor freight (blue) craftman sears (yellow)..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT and didn't lift it up. I adjusted it with the spanner wrench in the kit. Granted it turns hard, but it'll go.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    I have a 2010 RT and didn't lift it up. I adjusted it with the spanner wrench in the kit. Granted it turns hard, but it'll go.
    I will see if my floor jack can slide under first before turning the preload adjuster. Ain't a big deal. Mine is red and I bought it 30 years ago. The bottle jack leaks a bit but if you put the safety arms in place it is very solid. I think the transmssion jack will work as well if you set it slightly off center at the point that has been described; I think the RT will come up with only one side off the ground and I think as long as you have weight off that side, the adjuster will turn pretty easily.

Thanks to all... this is a fine place!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

lucky that it turned, the first ones were cast and would break when you used the wrench.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLEARANCE

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    I will see if my floor jack can slide under first before turning the preload adjuster. Ain't a big deal. Mine is red and I bought it 30 years ago. The bottle jack leaks a bit but if you put the safety arms in place it is very solid. I think the transmssion jack will work as well if you set it slightly off center at the point that has been described; I think the RT will come up with only one side off the ground and I think as long as you have weight off that side, the adjuster will turn pretty easily.

Thanks to all... this is a fine place!
    If you don't have clearance ( and some floor jacks won't go low enough ).....just roll the Spyder up onto some 2 X 6 pieces of wood first this will give plenty of room for any type of floor jack.........;Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you don't have clearance ( and some floor jacks won't go low enough ).....just roll the Spyder up onto some 2 X 6 pieces of wood first this will give plenty of room for any type of floor jack.........;Mike
    I figured... my Roadsmith trike had about 3" clearance so I have 4x4s I drive up on and already have 1 home made lumber ramp for driving up onto to gain the clearance (one front wheel/ one wood ramp).

Spyder Garage

Using someone else's suggestion I found that driving onto a couple of 3/4" plywood sheets gives me just enough clearance to slide the Craftsman lift under the frame. It's a tight fit but it does work.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    what you have in the way of jacks. A stands don't work in this case the wheel needs to hang. Floor jack under the end of the frame behind the frunk or what many use is the atv/motorcycle lift... great if your going to do your own work...harbor freight (blue) craftman sears (yellow)..

Can not quote colors as I have a Craftsman and its red, but I've had it probably 10 years.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Me too on 2012 RT - hard but possible
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

They're yellow now...you have the original...the only red is the name on the side. ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    What are you lifting on ? Is it all real solid material under there so it does not matter where the jack is ? I dont want to bend or puncture anything. I have a ST-L V-twin. Thanks !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Stay on the frame. On mine further back hits on the exhaust. ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    What are you lifting on ? Is it all real solid material under there so it does not matter where the jack is ? I dont want to bend or puncture anything. I have a ST-L V-twin. Thanks !

My RT has a couple feet of flat steel about 8" across that seems to be great for lifting the whole front end. Most under bike work is probably best done after driving onto some ramps but if you have to mess with the wheels, shocks, etc. a motorcycle floor jack is the ticket as the A arms are not taking any weight.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have lifted the whole spyder up with a jack similar to the one posted..

It used to be used on my Harleys..