Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 rts speaker upgrades

Hello all

I blew one of my rear speakers so i am in the market for replacement. i know it has been discussed before but it has been awhile since i saw a post. i have seen people use the polk audio or the J and M brands for the RT-s. Now that some time has past and people have experimented i was wondering what the consencious is for an upgrade. i know it won't be perfect sound and as of now i dont want an amplifier added just distortion minimized at louder levels. I will be replacing the rears for sure and wonder if it would be worth it to do the fronts as well.

Thanks for you time

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKERS

I did my 14 RT last year with GTO 528's and GTO 428's ( front -rear )..........they are not currently available except E-bay because they have been super-ceded........But they are fantastic ...they are 2 OHM which effectively doubles the power of the OEM radio.......Mine can be played at MAX volume without dis-tortion........but at that level they are just to loud unless you are at least 100 + feet away............the rears do need a home made trim ring because they are slightly smaller than stock ( which are a bastard size 4 3/4 inch )..................Right now they are selling for about $ 90 for all four......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I did my 14 RT last year with GTO 528's and GTO 428's ( front -rear )..........they are not currently available except E-bay because they have been super-ceded........But they are fantastic ...they are 2 OHM which effectively doubles the power of the OEM radio.......Mine can be played at MAX volume without dis-tortion........but at that level they are just to loud unless you are at least 100 + feet away............the rears do need a home made trim ring because they are slightly smaller than stock ( which are a bastard size 4 3/4 inch )..................Right now they are selling for about $ 90 for all four......Mike
    Thanks for the advice. Ordered a set last night. I was wondering if u could give me more info on what u did for your homemade trim ring for the rears. Material, thickness, mounting method. Ect. Also did you remove the whole rear or just the pods. I have seen both methods used in videos.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I would like to hear more on this also.

Spyder Garage

Default TRIM RINGS

Quote Originally Posted by TroyboyRn View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Ordered a set last night. I was wondering if u could give me more info on what u did for your homemade trim ring for the rears. Material, thickness, mounting method. Ect. Also did you remove the whole rear or just the pods. I have seen both methods used in videos.

Thanks

To you and Knightmedic.......I didn't make trim rings for the rear of MINE, I didn't think it was necessary because BRP didn't make an AIRTIGHT enclosure to begin with........However a gentleman up in Canada mentioned He made some and it sounded like a good idea if you were ABOUT to do it......I wasn't going to take it apart to do it.........He had some stiff plastic and used that..........but almost anything will work depending on what type of tools you have and your skill-set.........Heck the bottom of any large metal food can will make one ( be very careful, that stuff is wicked sharp )......I think maybe a plastic sign from Home Depot or lowe's might be thick enough to support the speaker......because the RING will only be about 1/2 inch wide ................."finless" , I think did an excellent video on the speaker removal thing and I have seen some others from " U-TUBE "........To get the rear PODS off , most of the trunk has to come first......the fronts are much easier ...................Hope this helps, Mike

Spyder Garage

Are those GTO's waterproof?
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Here's a link to Bob's "Finless" video.
    Very well done and well worth the watch!

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default help with speaker upgrade on rt

I've installed jbl 428 and 528 on my rt but sound is not better and bass doesn't exist. .. can someone tell me what did i do wrong ..thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PR Spyder rt View Post
    I've installed jbl 428 and 528 on my rt but sound is not better and bass doesn't exist. .. can someone tell me what did i do wrong ..thanks
    Hello

Sounds like you may have one of your speakers polarity reversed. Essentially canceling out the base. That would be the first thing I'd check.

Spyder Garage

Default help with speaker upgrade on rt

Well i took it all apart now for the third time i guess you get better at this the more you do it ..lol and all my wires are correctly installed i even drilled holes in the plastics behind the speakers thinking it might breathe better but nope sound is the same i have plenty highs just much less bass than with the oem's i guess I'll try to play with the settings and hope for some better sound thanks for the help Pmk and troyboyrn or maybe adding a little amp idk hopefully it'll fix itself or maybe I'm just expecting too much out of this little farkle well have a good one and once again thanks a bunch for the info

Spyder Garage

Default JBL AND BASS

Hi, I started the JBL speaker swap thing. Sorry but I can't add to what PMK has suggested. I find it interesting that you thought the OEM speakers had more Bass because that was not my impression at all........Maybe you could contact " Bluestratos " a member here. He has made some very impressive claims for it's ability to produce " BASS "........However I also think He spent upwards of $ 750.00 to get it !!!!!!.......................Good Luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default i guess its just me

ok so I tested it with an mp3 player and an I pod with both engine off and on all wires are correct no rear spacers going to have to play with the settings as per PMK well ill let you know when i'm down your way so we could compare my kids live down by royal palm so ill let you know. Bluenight its not more or less bass It feels like now the head unit doesn't have enough power to move the speaker its like blah maybe its my settings im going to have to work with that but it is louder and the clarity is much better IMHO thanks for all your input and help will keep posted what the outcome will be take care God bless

Spyder Garage

Just a quick question. Are most of u installing theses speakers with the protective grill in place or removed

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default JBL GRILLS

Just a quick question. Are most of u installing theses speakers with the protective grill in place or removed

Thanks

Mine I did without the JBL grills .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default JBL SPEAKERS

Quote Originally Posted by PR Spyder rt View Post
    ok so I tested it with an mp3 player and an I pod with both engine off and on all wires are correct no rear spacers going to have to play with the settings as per PMK well ill let you know when i'm down your way so we could compare my kids live down by royal palm so ill let you know. Bluenight its not more or less bass It feels like now the head unit doesn't have enough power to move the speaker its like blah maybe its my settings im going to have to work with that but it is louder and the clarity is much better IMHO thanks for all your input and help will keep posted what the outcome will be take care God bless
    Hi again, I'm not an audio expert. But a tech simplified a complicated explanation about 2 OHM ( the GTO's ) and 4 OHM ( most car speakers ) speakers. It comes down to the 2 OHM speakers have 1/2 the resistance of our BRP OEM speakers. So by switching you effectively are doubling the power you can get from the HEAD ( radio ) UNIT. This why the JBL's will play much louder than the stock speakers. The JBL's will sound clearer and cleaner just because they are a much higher quality speaker in their construction. I hope this helps.......Try what Paul did with lowering the BASS on the control........Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks paul and mike for all the help i also did not install the jbl grills and i agree clarity is there maybe ill have to find or make some spacer rings for the rear . But lets see how i do I'll let you guys know the outcome once again thanks for the comeback...willie

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I installed a 300 watt amp and DC Gold speakers, these speakers are hand built and can reproduce the full range from deep base to ultra highs. I now can hear highs that were not there before and I can push 75 watts per speaker with no problem. I also added a compact 300 watt bass woofer that I have mounted in the frunk. This is as good as it gets and rivals the best automotive sterio systems out there. They fit the existing speaker boxes (minor triming required but completely hidden) and the amp fits under the tupperware. I do loose a bit of frunk space but with the DC gold the bass woofer is not really necessary, I just enjoy the deep thump it provides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I installed a 300 watt amp and DC Gold speakers, these speakers are hand built and can reproduce the full range from deep base to ultra highs. I now can hear highs that were not there before and I can push 75 watts per speaker with no problem. I also added a compact 300 watt bass woofer that I have mounted in the frunk. This is as good as it gets and rivals the best automotive sterio systems out there. They fit the existing speaker boxes (minor triming required but completely hidden) and the amp fits under the tupperware. I do loose a bit of frunk space but with the DC gold the bass woofer is not really necessary, I just enjoy the deep thump it provides.
    Just wondering which model dc gold speakers you have and the brand and model amp you installed. One final question, did you do anything special for battery drain for the amp. I have a 2010 rt and know that they beefed up the alternator on the later models

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Hey troy hope your doing great i played a little with the audio settings and it sounds a little better still think im going to have to do something with the rear Spacers hopefully it will make it better just wanted to comment and let you know that the settings did make it a little better take care and see you around...Willie

Spyder Garage

Well I have my jbl 528's in the front installed. They are definitely a step up in construction. The magnet is at least 4 times as big. The sound is much different. Can't say totally till I get the 428's in the rear. One thing however. The initial test drive sounded really off and I too had concerns that pr spyder rt had. However, after taking the grills off I noticed I had the tweeters facing out towards the sides of the bike. I rotated them back to face the driver position and the sound stage was considerably better. Still lacks base but the fidelity is much better.

Just wondering for those who have these. What position do you have the tweeter switch on or off. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default TESTING

Well I have my jbl 528's in the front installed. They are definitely a step up in construction. The magnet is at least 4 times as big. The sound is much different. Can't say totally till I get the 428's in the rear. One thing however. The initial test drive sounded really off and I too had concerns that pr spyder rt had. However, after taking the grills off I noticed I had the tweeters facing out towards the sides of the bike. I rotated them back to face the driver position and the sound stage was considerably better. Still lacks base but the fidelity is much better.

Just wondering for those who have these. What position do you have the tweeter switch on or off. Thanks

If you did testing of the 528's with the OEM rears ......you realize your mixing 2 OHM and 4 OHM speakers.....also mixing quality.......In the Orchestra which instrument will you hear most ( the one that is played badly )......same goes for speakers. bad sounding speakers will ALWAYS overshadow GREAT speakers, this is fact not my opinion.......Mike

Spyder Garage

One quick question. Does anyone know what kind of power the base unit puts out in watts per Chanel
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default OEM POWER

One quick question. Does anyone know what kind of power the base unit puts out in watts per Chanel
    Thanks

Good Luck finding that out.............but I will guess 16 to at most 18 watts, these are not high end units ( except maybe the control functions )...This IMHO is why the 2 OHM JBL's give such a big bang for the buck........Mike

Spyder Garage

Well all speakers are in and functioning well. The sound at first was so different than stock that it sounded harsh. But after playing with the setting and getting about 10 hours of music of all kinds pumped through them they are really starting to purr. I think they are a bit tight from factory. The base is really starting to loosen up. I had the same process with my 5000 dollar Definitive Technology bipolar home theatre mains. The sound stage just keeps getting better as they age. I know apples and oranges but do think they require ample break in time before they can be truly judged.

Thanks to all who helped me through this process