Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEALER + KUMHO

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I just had a new Kumho installed by a dealer for $212+ and he furnished the tire.
    Please do not under any circumstances reveal the name of this Dealer.............You Sir, have found a RARE intelligent Dealer who puts the customer ahead of what He is supposed / allowed to do.......................REALLY I MEAN THIS .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Michilin tire

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Some 14 RT owners only got 4000 miles so you are above average. They put a softer compound on the early 14's but the later tires were harder. If your dealer will install them consider a car tire, less money and wears longer. I'm using a 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy so far I have 11,000 miles on it with plenty of tread left. Others will chime in that are running Khumos and Yokohamas.
    Midnightbreeze here, I just changed mine out to the same tire, the 215/60/15, I like this tire , My wife and i went for a ride , and we noticed some scrubing when we went over bumps , but they went away when the shock adjusted itself, I am really Pleased with the tire , the tire that was on my 2013 RT only lasted 10,000 miles , Hope this one lasts forever LOL

Ride Safe , Midnightbreeze , still LOVIN my Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Lower Than Recommended Tire Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    At 30% below the recommended pressure, I think you're asking for trouble.
    But different strokes for different folks

AJ
    I must agree about proper tire pressure being maintained. I am a new Spyder rider but not new to low tire pressure. I have a 6 x 12 cargo trailer, Carry On Trailers (Lowes) which I use to transport my bikes and other stuff. I once brought a literal ton of stuff from Cali to Louisiana. No problems. A 'friend' who also tows a trailer with his bikes inside suggested that I lower the tire pressure on the trailer on the empty return trip so that it 'would not bounce so much.' Bad idea. Factory recommends 55 psi. I lowered it to 35. When I finished the 2K trip, I had to replace the tires as they were un evenly worn and cupped. I spoke with the tech support people at Carry On Trailers who said I should always run at 55 psi, loaded or empty. I replaced the tires with the same tire, Goodyear, and since then, with the pressure up, no problems at all with uneven wear. Don't know if this holds for motorcycle tires, but my money is on the 'it does' side. I later towed the trailer empty about 1500 miles to pick up a bike and absolutely no unusual tire wear.

Spyder Garage

Default WOW...! ! !

WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT THAT MANY MILES ON THE KENDA AND STILL HAVE A LITTLE MORE TO GO.....

I JUST GOT "KUMHO'd" YESTERDAY..... MY 3rd....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I just had a new Kumho installed by a dealer for $212+ and he furnished the tire.

What Area of the dealer in Illinois?

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What Area of the dealer in Illinois?
    I had it installed at Cowtown in Cuba, Mo. on the way back home from SF.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well my thoughts of the stock tire is that at Hwy travels they don't last..Maybe around town they will last longer.

Still pissed I will be changing the rear tire soon. and the bike only has 4200 miles on the bike.

Per my test at 2k miles it was at 6 MM for tread depths. Now at 4200 miles its at 3 mm tread depth..So at this rate at 6K miles it should be bald..

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement time

I have a 2013 RTL and got 12997 out of my original tire in the rear. I kept pressure at 28psi and the center what was worn out, After doing some reading from other owners, I am now going to run around 24-26psi. My wife's 2014 RTL rear needs to be done at 10300. Sounds like we did ok on the amount of miles on them.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KENDA TIRE LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by tpiketrooper View Post
    I have a 2013 RTL and got 12997 out of my original tire in the rear. I kept pressure at 28psi and the center what was worn out, After doing some reading from other owners, I am now going to run around 24-26psi. My wife's 2014 RTL rear needs to be done at 10300. Sounds like we did ok on the amount of miles on them.
    Turn Pike Trooper, Hey Bro glad to see you are one of the people who will do some homework ..... however you didn't do quite enough....... There is nothing that can prolong the life of a Kenda .... other than removing it ..... The tire is poorly made and can't be fixed with various psi changes ..... many have tried ........ when it's worn out get a General Altimax RT 43 in 215/60-15 size and have 30,000 plus safe happy miles.......... from a fellow LEO, and Accident Re-constructionist ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-22-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had a new rear tire installed balanced and belt adjustment while on the road 6 weeks ago. The dealer was in Albuquerque, NM. Total cost out the door was $213.00 and they changed it while I waited. Total time at the shop was little more than an hour and a half. I picked the bike up (new to me) in Tulsa, OK and the tire tread looked good (8,400 miles). By the time I got to Albuquerque the center was bald as a baby's rear. I knew nothing at that time about rear tire wear issues with the Spyder. This forum is a real treasure full of information

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire replacement

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    What kind of millage should I get on the rear tire of my 2014 RT? It has almost no tread left in the center of the tire. At 6000 mi I noticed it was significantly worn ...and now at 7000 mi it's practically bare. I have kept check on the air pressure and it has been at 28 lbs constant (per BRP specs). Practically all the millage is with only me on board and I weigh 210 lbs. A friend of mine just changed his rear tire (2013 RT) at 14k. This tire is about ready to replace now! Yikes. Is that normal for 7k?
    For the first time, I removed my 2014 RTS SE6, and have learned a few lessons. I had purchased a 36mm open end wrench on the Internet for $23, a 36mm 1/2" drive socket for about the same, some blue threadlocker, and a $20 on sale Harbor Freight torque wrench. I watched both Finless' and Lamonster videotapes twice. Getting the tire off was simple enough. The brake disc was a little tough because of threadlocker but finally had success. The Cush drive wheel and hub removal were my downfall. I was attempting this by myself and couldn't hold a socket on both ends. I took it by Discount Tire and they agreed to finish this removal and to replace the tire with a Michelin. I will be there with them with the axle to make certain the crush tube is properly aligned. I will purchase an impact wrench before I attempt this by myself again. Now I'm hoping my memory will hold for a couple of days so I can reinstall it. Thank you SpyderLovers for all the helpful advice and support.