Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Treadwear on rear tire of 2014 RT ...what's expected life?

What kind of millage should I get on the rear tire of my 2014 RT? It has almost no tread left in the center of the tire. At 6000 mi I noticed it was significantly worn ...and now at 7000 mi it's practically bare. I have kept check on the air pressure and it has been at 28 lbs constant (per BRP specs). Practically all the millage is with only me on board and I weigh 210 lbs. A friend of mine just changed his rear tire (2013 RT) at 14k. This tire is about ready to replace now! Yikes. Is that normal for 7k?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some 14 RT owners only got 4000 miles so you are above average. They put a softer compound on the early 14's but the later tires were harder. If your dealer will install them consider a car tire, less money and wears longer. I'm using a 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy so far I have 11,000 miles on it with plenty of tread left. Others will chime in that are running Khumos and Yokohamas.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that info on the car tire. I will explore that option. I'm wondering, what do we do when we have a flat. I just talked to a friend at the Goodyear place and he said they will not work on the CanAM. Said they don't even have the equipment for that tire. Yikes!!! It would be a bad day to be out west somewhere way out there and have a flat. Any more wisdom on this??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    Thanks for that info on the car tire. I will explore that option. I'm wondering, what do we do when we have a flat. I just talked to a friend at the Goodyear place and he said they will not work on the CanAM. Said they don't even have the equipment for that tire. Yikes!!! It would be a bad day to be out west somewhere way out there and have a flat. Any more wisdom on this??

I replaced my original rear tire on my 2014 RT-S at 12,493 miles!!! The center was bald and a little tread left on outside, was running 25psi. when I replaced it I went back with "factory" tire, Kenda 225-50-15 and I am running 20psi and watching tread wear. So far, looks even wear!. As far as being out and having a flat, you can always call the roadside assistance for a tow up to 250 miles at no charge, according to the rep. at roadside assistance, The number is your paperwork. Good luck on your tire selection and ryde safe.....
    Last edited by Kelly1952; 05-05-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

At 30% below the recommended pressure, I think you're asking for trouble.
    But different strokes for different folks

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly1952 View Post
    I replaced my original rear tire on my 2014 RT-S at 12,493 miles!!! The center was bald and a little tread left on outside, was running 25psi. when I replaced it I went back with "factory" tire, Kenda 225-50-15 and I am running 20psi and watching tread wear. So far, looks even wear!. As far as being out and having a flat, you can always call the roadside assistance for a tow up to 250 miles at no charge, according to the rep. at roadside assistance, The number is your paperwork. Good luck on your tire selection and ryde safe.....

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I have an early 2014 RT-S and I am replacing my rear tire at 3,500 miles. Not a happy camper. Almost to the nub. I noticed some sliding when taking the twisties. The mountain roads have been very hard on this tire with the twists and turns. I am replacing a little early as I am back in the mountains for the summer/fall and I want to have a solid rear tire. Safety first.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

Early 14's had softer compound tires and you won't get much wear. They have since changed that and you can get good mileage but the damage is done so you will hear a ton about car tires, who will install who won't even who will sell them to you and who won't and on and on. Your choice I have good results with the kenda and they were designed for the spyder. As for the road, I carry a plug kit and a small compressor and some co2 cartriges in case...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i usually go by when a friend says to me, hey you need a rear tire
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

My rear OEM tire was completely wasted on my 2014 RTL at 7000 miles. My Kumho Ecsta AST 225 50 R15 has 24000 miles on it now and still looks great
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Treadware

Pitbull replaced my Kenda at 4700 miles with a Khumo. Hope it does better.
    Never saw a hearse with a trailer hitch!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    My rear OEM tire was completely wasted on my 2014 RTL at 7000 miles. My Kumho Ecsta AST 225 50 R15 has 24000 miles on it now and still looks great
    Hal, that's about what I got on my OEM rear tire. My Kumho Ecsta AST has 17,800 miles on it and is about in need of replacement...think the center tread is below minimum to pass safety inspection. Been running between 28-30 lbs in it. Getting a Yokohama S Drive installed this week.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I replaced my rear tire on the 2014 RT-S at 8,900 miles. The "new" tire is now supposed to have a different rubber compound than that which the original 2014 tires came with. They went back to the "old style." My experience with the old style has been 15,000 on all four other 's I have owned. The 2011 had the rear replaced at 16,900 miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am about to hit 3000 miles, 90% 2 up riding with wife, tire pressure at 28psi, and 55lbs on rear suspension.
    So far I have seen almost no wear. If I wash the bike the tire still looks brand new.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you replace your Kenda with another one just be sure to check the born on date, it should be 2814 or later to be sure that it is the harder compound.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your responces...this is very helpful. Sorry so many of you had the same poor tire treadwear...and some of you even worse than mine...I thought 7k was bad :-(

One more question for this thread: have any of you changed your tire yourself? I mean is a CanAm dealership the only option for tire replacement / repair?? I'm sure you can purchase a tire from several options...but who can change it?

Thanks again.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I took the wheel off and had the tire mounted at a car shop. They couldn't balance it so I put balance beads in the tire.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Did you not have an issue with reinstalling the wheel? I've heard that the rear wheel alignment is a big deal...that CanAm dealerships use a laser? And getting the belt tension just right etc. ? Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

consider yourself lucky and make the switch (auto) or don't, but certainly get that thingy changed. Don't be caught out.
    I only saw 5K on my original rear tire.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR WHEEL / TIRE ETC

Thanks for all your responces...this is very helpful. Sorry so many of you had the same poor tire treadwear...and some of you even worse than mine...I thought 7k was bad :-(

One more question for this thread: have any of you changed your tire yourself? I mean is a CanAm dealership the only option for tire replacement / repair?? I'm sure you can purchase a tire from several options...but who can change it?

Thanks again.
    I think you mean , has someone other than BRP dealer taken care of tire changing on your Spyder...........I doubt if any place other than a Dealer is going to do anything with the wheel removal thing .....WHILE THE WHEELS ARE ON THE SPYDER......However once you take off the wheels ....any tire shop can replace the tires on the front and rear RIMS of the Spyder.......Yes the rear ALSO........( you must remove the HUB & SPROCKET )........any shop can high speed balance the fronts .....NOT THE REARS......I personally don't do the rear tire......If the Goodyear Guy (?) said He can't ......I think He really means He won't ....or worse .....He has no clue wether it can or can't be done........(.those are the scariest people) .........Good Luck......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-06-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering the same thing. I have just over 5k on my 2014, and my buddy just clocked 7k on his 2014. We are both getting on the low side of thread in the middle, and wondering if we will be needing tires before our annual mountain trip in June. I keep an eye on the tire pressure, and keep it in the recommended range. Guess I will see if I can get one of those car tires install when the time comes. But, as a point of reference, a friend has a 2011 RT with 15k miles. She just replaced it, but it looks at least as good as my 5k mile tire.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks again.
    Most with some mechanical ability can do a tire change over successfully. If dealer does it for you--plan on about $350. $189 or so for the tire and the rest labor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OEM Kendas are a sub-standard 2 ply tire... 2 ply tires are good for lawn mowers & wheel barrows.. not a 1000lb vehicle that goes down the highway at 60MPH... do yourself a favor ... buy another brand.. do a search on SpyderLovers for appropriate sizes and brands..
    and.. the cost is about 50% less than the junky OEM Kendas...

osm

Spyder Garage

Regarding the OEM tire, see this link to a comment from BRPCare http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=tire+compound

I had a guy who builds custom trykes in my town change my tire. He reviewed the video on changing one without messing with the belt tension, then did it. I put a Kumho Ecsta AST on . . . over 7K on it, and it still looks great. It handles well, too.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Did you not have an issue with reinstalling the wheel? I've heard that the rear wheel alignment is a big deal...that CanAm dealerships use a laser? And getting the belt tension just right etc. ? Thanks again.
    There is no need to mess with the alignment or belt tension when changing the tire.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Most with some mechanical ability can do a tire change over successfully. If dealer does it for you--plan on about $350. $189 or so for the tire and the rest labor.
    I just had a new Kumho installed by a dealer for $212+ and he furnished the tire.